St Petersburg on Sunday

Trobrah

I just realized that the Baltic cruise I plan on booking is in St Petersburg on Sunday. Are any of the major attractions closed then? Additionally is the end of May a good time to visit weather wise?

Thank you,

Jay

I believe the Hermitage is closed on Sunday. Our tour with Alla for next May had the Hermitage scheduled for the first day, which happens to be a Sunday. They just adjust their schedule and do the Hermitage on Monday and move something else to Sunday. I assume the ship's tours are able to do that as well.

As had been mentioned, if you ship is in port for 2 days, then the tour operator will schedule around the closures. You probably won't have to worry about missing anything.

May is a great time to visit. We were there in May this year. We had light jackets with us, but didn't need them... just kept them in the tour van.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

As has been said, if you have booked a two day tour, the tour companies surely won't schedule you to go to a place that will be closed. They adjust all schedules to meet the needs of what is happening. That even goes for local traffic et al. You will be fine and get to see everything that has been promised to you.

Cheers

Len

Everything is open on Sundays, but any museums administered by the Hermitage will be closed on Monday and one additional day at the end of the month for maintenance.

Weather is unpredictable in the spring, or any time since it is a maritime climate, it could rain, snow or be sunny.....all in the same day. There has been a shift in weather patterns for the last 5-6 years, with mild winters and warmer, wetter summers. It is often very winding in May. If it does rain, it usually is not all day and the streets and parks dry quickly. At least one tour operator provided rain ponchos, I don't know whether Alla does this next season.

Most of the newer companies are in heavy competition so they are cutting some features that do not lead to more sales, so bring your own rain gear, and snacks since most are going to box lunches. Alla is a pretty good company however so you will get a good tour with everything promised. That is not the case with some. I heard some pretty outrageous excuses this summer why some destinations were not visited or why promised lunches were suddenly "extra".

If you are including the Hydrofoil trip to Peterhof, be warned that it is cancelled very often. Last May it was cancelled about as often as it ran. If the wind or seas are anything other than calm, they are not permitted to carry passengers.