How much money to take on a Cruise

wrigley80

How much money do you take on a cruise  

215 members have voted

1. 1. How much money do you take on a cruise

• Use mostly credit cards
    • Use mostly cash
    • Use cash and travelers checks

We are seasoned cruisers. We leave on our 13th and 14th cruise beginning on Monday but it got me to thinking how much money do you take on a cruise??

We will be gone a total of 18 days. We primarily use cash and travelers checks (when we were at the bank today getting our travelers checks the bank teller informed us that we are like the only customers who still use travelers checks.....now I find that hard to believe but whatever). We only use the credit card for our sail and sign account onboard.

Easy formula - pre-pay our onboard credit for $100 per person per day. Never worry about a thing while on the cruise and usually get nice check slipped under the door on the last night. While in ports we use credit cards for the things we buy, usually very little. We also bring a little cash in ports for snacks, lunch, etc. Has worked for us for many years.:D

I voted for mostly cash but you left out one choice. Mostly cash and credit card. We use both about equally.

Unfortunately your bank teller was right. Most places give you a hard time with Travelers Checks.

On one of the ports on one of our cruises SIL went to a bank to cash hers with her Drivers License. They wouldn't cash it unless she had a passport which she left on the ship. It was either Aruba or Curacao.

We stopped using them after our first cruise. Now we use the credit card for our S&S account and usually take about $1000 for a seven day cruise. We take $100 for each port and any private excursions goes on the CC. We always have some cash left over when we return.

AAA quit issueing them at our local office. They now issue a pre-paid VISA card instead.

Edited by RWolver672

We figure for the three of us, about 100.00 a day for ports. We wander, visit museums, hikes and eat local street food, at times grab a driver but negotiate well. Rarely have gone over for the day, most times plenty left over. Buy a local 6 pack, food for 3 at food vendor and wander on foot. We don't buy gifts or trinkets.

We don't use porters or room service or bartenders, so on ship we need no cash.

Grand Cayman, that's a little different....ouch $$$$$$$

1 credit card to open our onboard account.

Cash... usually $1,400 for 7 days

Never use Travelers Cheques any more. (Did you know much of the profit from Trvl Cks comes form un redeemed checks?). Stopped using them about 14 years ago.

Bring two credit cards...Only bring one onshore with us. BUT, always call CC company to advise what countries we will be in.

Credit card for S&S card. I budget so much cash for gambling and each port for whatever. I don't really like using a credit card out of the country.

I agree with Kona. I don't use credit cards out of the country. I've read too many horror stories about that where the credit card number is sold or misused.

How much cash to take really depends on whether you plan to gamble and what you plan to do when you get off the ship.

I do recommend taking a stack of one dollar bills for tipping when you drop off your luggage at the port, for room service, bus drivers, and for airport porters, etc.

I haven't used traveler's checks in 20+ years.

when we were at the bank today getting our travelers checks the bank teller informed us that we are like the only customers who still use travelers checks.....now I find that hard to believe but whatever.

What are Travelers Checks? ;)

Seriously, we use our credit card for the S&S account and for major purchases (the last thing that I want is to buy a major item with cash, only to find out that it's a fake or not what I thought it was).

We will always bring $200 in small bills for small purchases and to tip.

I called our CC company today to tell them we are traveling for two weeks and would be in various countries. I listed the islands we would be traveling to and I chuckled when she asked me which countries they were in. I guess not everyone is good in geography.

Easy formula - pre-pay our onboard credit for $100 per person per day. Never worry about a thing while on the cruise and usually get nice check slipped under the door on the last night. While in ports we use credit cards for the things we buy, usually very little. We also bring a little cash in ports for snacks, lunch, etc. Has worked for us for many years.:D

How do u do this? I was checking into buying cruise cash but says right on the website its nonrefundable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just got off a 7 day, and spent $40 total in 3 ports. I spent $0 onboard.

I had already paid for tips and private tours.

I only bring cash and budget $100 per port, per person. (I brought home quite a surplus this time!)

I'm not cheap, I just don't need cheap Chinese crap cluttering up my house anymore, and I don't drink, so not much else to spend money on, except food, and most of the time I snack out and eat on the ship.

Edited by poison7fl

How do u do this? I was checking into buying cruise cash but says right on the website its nonrefundable.

With all the cruises in your signature you should know this - but once boarding you can put cash onto your S&S account - giving you a positive balance right off the bat. that is not cruise cash that you can purchase

With all the cruises in your signature you should know this - but once boarding you can put cash onto your S&S account - giving you a positive balance right off the bat. that is not cruise cash that you can purchase

Yes i know how to set up an on board expense acct with cash. The question i had was how do u pre-pay ( which means before you get on board) your on board acct.

Is it just me or did the poll options have nothing to do with the question that was asked?

I was just asking a simple question of what method of payments that people use on cruises....you didn't have to answer it so yes it was apparently just you because no one else had an issue with the question that I asked

We prefer to use Travelers Checks because I don't use a credit card in port and I don't like to carry much cash in port and if I do it is in small bills.

When I need cash I will go to the pursers desk onboard to cash a travelers check. I have never had a problem cashing a travelers check.

I was just asking a simple question of what method of payments that people use on cruises....you didn't have to answer it so yes it was apparently just you because no one else had an issue with the question that I asked

The poll question was "How much money do you take on a cruise?" The choices were use mostly cards / use mostly cash / Use cash and travelers checks. No option for how much money someone takes.

Edited by arush5268d

The poll question was "How much money do you take on a cruise?" The choices were use mostly cards / use mostly cash / Use cash and travelers checks. No option for how much money someone takes.

You don't have to post what the options were....I wrote the original post I know what the options were.

Thanks for your time

We are seasoned cruisers. We leave on our 13th and 14th cruise beginning on Monday but it got me to thinking how much money do you take on a cruise??

We will be gone a total of 18 days. We primarily use cash and travelers checks (when we were at the bank today getting our travelers checks the bank teller informed us that we are like the only customers who still use travelers checks.....now I find that hard to believe but whatever). We only use the credit card for our sail and sign account onboard.

We usually take $100/day in cash. Being Canadians we buy US cash when the exchange rates are in our favour or at least good. We too use Travellers cheques from time to time and like you cash them at the pursers desk. While some may poo-poo using them they do give protection against loss or theft.

We usually take $100/day in cash. Being Canadians we buy US cash when the exchange rates are in our favour or at least good. We too use Travellers cheques from time to time and like you cash them at the pursers desk. While some may poo-poo using them they do give protection against loss or theft.

You are so right and that's another reason why we choose to use them....if they are lost or stolen then you assured to get your money back

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk