Crystal Caves

Weluv2cruise2007

Can anyone tell me is it quite cold in the caves...enough to bring a jacket/sweater? Also is it very dark or is it somehow illuminated? We're debating on whether to take our toddler (he would be in a backpack type carrier). He's extremely easy going and patient, but wondering if we might be pushing our luck with this excursion.

I thought the temperature was fine in the caves...its the humidity that is very high though, which creates damp walkways. They are well-lit but for a brief time when the guides will sometimes ask everyone to stand still so you can see just how 'dark' REAL dark is...they turn off all the lights momentarily and you cannot see a single thing.

I would be very wary of using a backpack carrier for a child in the caves. Steps can be narrow and again damp; holding the handrails is sometimes necessary for sure footing. The pathways can be narrow and with the stalagmites and stalactites so close, a small child may in a carrier may bump into them and get hurt, or simply reach out and touch/break off delicate pieces.

I am with msmayor on this...

Not cold at all, very damp, narrow slippery steps ( and there are a few ;) )...

very well lit until the guide turns it off for a few seconds.

I WOULD bring my toddler BUT in a front pouch style of holder...not in a backpack to avoid the head bumping, the reaching for fragile stalagmite and the fear of slipping in the stairs...I just felt more comfortable and safe with my kids in front of me when they were that small....

Have fun !

I agree with the others--it's cool, but not cold. If you have a sweatshirt or light sweater, you'll be fine. If I remember correctly, we all went in t-shirts and didn't have a problem. It was actually nice to get out of the sun for a little while.

The lighting shouldn't be an issue, 83 steps can seem like a lot of stairs. Not enough that the many people would mind, but if you're carrying a toddler, be prepared for a climb. Our son was 3 at the time we went to the caves, and the climb was a bit much for him (DH, bless his heart, ended up carrying him for a good bit as we left the cave). We had to really keep an eye on him, as sebas30 and msmayor mentioned, to make sure that he didn't try to grab any of the stalagmites.

IMO, if this is something you have your heart set on doing, you can. As you might imagine, it's a little more challenging with a young child. If this is something you're lukewarm about, you could always do it on a return trip to Bermuda. :)

• 7 months later...