Poll: Duchess Catherine of Cambridge and godmothers....

Does a Royal Godmother Trump An Ordinary Celebrity?  

132 members have voted

1. 1. Does a Royal Godmother Trump An Ordinary Celebrity?

• Yes, absolutely.
    • Depends on the royal.
    • Depends on the royal connection to the cruise line.
    • Celebrities from world of music, TV, sport, film far more interesting.
    • I prefer non-celebrity godmothers who have made valuable contributions.
    • None of the above (please elaborate below).

We've just landed in London, on our way to Southampton to experience Princess Cruises' launch of Royal Princess. The ship's godmother will be Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge (earlier known as Kate Middleton!), wife of Prince William, and we were wondering: Does the choice of a royal godmother for a ship add an extra -- I don't know...excitement -- to a christening ceremony? And if so, why is that?

Please vote in our poll and as always, feel free to share your thoughts below.

I think it's very exciting for Princess to have the Dutchess of Cambridge christen the Royal Princess. Especially with the connection to Diana having christened the old Royal. I know the regulars on the Princess board were overjoyed at the news.:)

Thus far I am the only one to have voted "None of the Above". I really do not give a hoot if there is a so-called godmother of a ship be it royalty or a celebrity.

IMO, a true royal is a far more meaningful choice than ANY celebrity.

However, if the cruiselines really cared about the quality and value of persons they chose for ship's godmothers, they would select people who have personally worked to make the world a better place, instead of those who are only known for the movies they star in.

I would much prefer someone who is unknown, but has helped others and/or improved the world condition.

A true royal with some connection to the ship makes more sense than som run of the mill celebrity.

Duchess of Cambridge is more appropriate than, say, Posh Spice for a Cunarder. Of course, if Cunard flags their ships in Liberia or the Bahamas, then the connection fades somewhat.

HAL has a natural source of godmothers in the Dutch royal family --- particularly since their ships carry the Netherlands flag

Somehow Kim Kardashian,while certainly a celebrity, seems to lack godmotherly qualities.

We've just landed in London, on our way to Southampton to experience Princess Cruises' launch of Royal Princess. The ship's godmother will be Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge (earlier known as Kate Middleton!), wife of Prince William, and we were wondering: Does the choice of a royal godmother for a ship add an extra -- I don't know...excitement -- to a christening ceremony? And if so, why is that?

Please vote in our poll and as always, feel free to share your thoughts below.

ROYAL IS ROYAL much better!!!!!!!!!

I think it's fitting that Kate is the godmother since Princess Diana was the godmother to the last Royal Princess. That ship even had her portrait hanging in the atrium. When Diana died, they hung black crepe on it.

Sue

I really don't think godmothers are that important - you get a bit of a buzz at the beginning when the ship is christened, and that's it. It's just one of those traditions that keeps hanging on ... and on ... and on ... and on ... and on

I think it very exciting The Duchess of Cambridge will be Godmother. She seems a charming, beautiful young woman and is immensely popular. They say the Chistening of the ship will be her last public appearance until after the birth of her baby.

All ship christenings are very exciting but this beautiful Royal makes it more so, IMO

Enjoy. Hope you'll share some comments about the event with us. :)

Would have prefered it to have been one of the proper royals rather than the 'celebrity' royal by marriage.

It would have been fitting to me to have chosen the Princess Royal rather than a Duchess (who isn't yet a princess)

Perhaps none accepted the offer?

We have no way of knowing the process that went on even getting Duchess Katherine to accept. We have no clue who else may have been asked. For all we know, Queen Elizabeth herself may be been invited to be Godmother.

Would have prefered it to have been one of the proper royals rather than the 'celebrity' royal by marriage.

It would have been fitting to me to have chosen the Princess Royal rather than a Duchess (who isn't yet a princess)

There hasn't been a "proper royal" since William of Orange's 1688 usurpation - which was sadly perpetuated by the failures of The '15 and The '45.

I don't give a darn if the boat was christened by Vladimir Putin, the homeless guy who lives by my office or nobody at all.

I agree. In fact, it's put me off Princess Cruises. I'm not a fan of the Royals. Maybe I've been a UK taxpayer for too long! :)

Forgive me, I don't know the fine points of royalty, so who would be a proper royal?

To answer the poll. I've been cruising for a number of years and only in the last couple of years was even aware there WAS a godmother for the ships.:o I thought the portrait of Gloria Estefan was displayed because she had performed on the ship.:D So my answer is, if it's a seafaring tradition, keep up the tradition and name one, it's makes no difference to me one way or another.:)

Shhhhhhh, don't let Kim Kardashian get wind of this. She probably thinks she's American royalty and would claw her way to be named, afterall, she wanted a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.:p

Forgive me, I don't know the fine points of royalty, so who would be a proper royal?

A Proper Royal is someone born in to the royal Family who has the at least the title Prince or Princess. Usually those with HRH before the title.

Unfortunately Kate is only a Lady being a Duchess. She will only become a Princess when William becomes Prince of Wales, when she should be titled Catherine Princess of Wales. However her child will be either a Prince or Princess from birth.

I am a Canadian and a very much a monarchist but having Kate be the Godmother is nothing more than a publicity ploy on the part of Princess....really.

Is there any other reason to have a godmother of a mega ship? It's all marketing.

I am a Canadian and a very much a monarchist but having Kate be the Godmother is nothing more than a publicity ploy on the part of Princess....really.

Is that necessarily a bad thing? :)

I an American who loves the British Royals. :o Sorry.

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge seem such a wonderful couple. So modern and current and charming.

Zach1213

Is there any other reason to have a godmother of a mega ship? It's all marketing.

I've watched Christening of U.S. Naval Vessels and they have Godmothers. I don't think that is for marketing. :)

Maybe some PR perhaps but it is Tradition. Some of us love that tradition. The tradition of ships having Godmothers is very long lived and goes back in history.

Is that necessarily a bad thing? :)

No, but IMO that it is no big deal...I really can't get excited over it. You could have been the Godmother of the Royal and it would have the same impact on my cruise experience. Now knowing your loyalty to HAL and your opinions of Princess I know that is not going to happen...but it gives me something to ponder.;)

Archived