Zip lining in Rain Forest in Punta Arenas

toothmaker

My wife really wants to zip line...I'm afraid of heights...but, I'm willing to go with her if that is her desire. So, my question is, have you that have done this excursion been happy with the excursion? Thank you for any replies.

David

My wife really wants to zip line...I'm afraid of heights...but, I'm willing to go with her if that is her desire. So, my question is, have you that have done this excursion been happy with the excursion? Thank you for any replies.

David

We've done a zip-line from Punta Arenas that was wonderful--it wasn't a ship tour, however, if that is what you are asking about. We've also zip-lined in Roatan; liked that too.

I think it depends greatly on just how bad your fear of heights is. I have the normal fear of heights that most people have, which is not that much and didn't have any issues. Both tours were very well-run with excellent guides and felt safe and secure.

We're in our late sixties and wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

Using the zip lines is a lot of fun and I have done it in several countries including Costa Rica. If you are afraid of heights, I would recommend you rethink this. On zip lines you will be 40 to 70 or more feet off the ground and hanging from a zip line (steel cable) with your feet dangling. You go up to a platform to start on the side of a hill usually and then go from line to line. Most times the line will end in a tree where a small platform has been built before going off the other side on another zip line. The trouble is that once you go on the first zip line, you will have to go on the rest to get back to the ground. There can be anywhere from 6 to 10 zip lines. They will put a body harness on you much like those worn by tower climbers. As you begin they will hook you to the zip line and then you jump off going down the zip line to the next platform. They unhook you, you move to the next line and they hook you up again to the next line and so forth until you reach the end of the last line. It is a lot of fun for most. I am in my 60's.

My fear of heights would definitely keep me from trying this. I get queasy just reading the description in the post directly above this one, where it mentions "jumping off" the platform and hanging from the line in a harness with feet dangling.

Instead, for an excursion in Puntarenas, I am going to try to be as brave as I can, and have pre-reserved the one for the aerial tram over the rain forest. I THINK I can manage it if I look out ahead, rather than down at the ground. If not, I will just have to keep my eyes closed for most of it! LOL!!

I'm not a big fan of ziplines, but my husband loves them. The one we did in Costa Rica seemed pretty tame compared to some of the ones in Mexico. If you can handle being on a large roller coaster, then I would think you could do the zipline. It's a little scary, but relatively safe, IMHO.

My dad did one in Alaska. He was glad he tried it, but has no desire to do it again. My sister had a minor panic attack on her one try at the zipline, so the guide let her ride piggyback with him on the last couple of zips. It was hilarious to say the least.;)

Anyway, I would go for it. At the very least, you will have the satisfaction of overcoming your fear. At the very best, you might really like it.

We ziplined in Costa Rica and loved it! I have a small fear of heights...but only enough that it made the trip for me more exhilarating (like facing your fear type of thing). If your fear of heights is any more of that, I don't know that you will enjoy it.

We ziplined in Costa Rica and loved it! I have a small fear of heights...but only enough that it made the trip for me more exhilarating (like facing your fear type of thing). If your fear of heights is any more of that, I don't know that you will enjoy it.

We are signed up to zipline in Belize - anyone done this one?

Signed up for an off ship excursion since the ship only offered Cave tubeing and zipline - since the DW did not want to do the cave tubeing part

60+ couple (now or never)

We did a tour with a private company that took us ziplining in Costa Rica. It was so much fun! I am afraid of heights, but for some reason this didn't scare me. The place we were taken was in treetops, while the ship zip line tour was over a pasture. Look in the Costa Rica ports section and you'll see recommendations. Then double check those recommendations on TripAdvisor.

I'm 60 and not very athletic, but I had no problems doing this activity and after the first zip, felt very safe. :)

David

I'm a big weenie when it comes to heights. Can't get past the 2nd step on a ladder! Did the zip line (YUP - ME!!) in Costa Rica. It was a blast. You really don't know you are up that high because the canopy covers so much underneath you.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

I too am afraid of heights and did the zip line in Jamaica with the Original Canopy Tour. It was a blast and you really can't see how high up you are as the trees (the canopy) covers your view of the bottom. We will most likely do the OCT in Costa Rica this March as my father-in-law wants to zip line!!

• 4 months later...
We are signed up to zipline in Belize - anyone done this one?

Signed up for an off ship excursion since the ship only offered Cave tubeing and zipline - since the DW did not want to do the cave tubeing part

60+ couple (now or never)

Cruiser from Kansas, I did this excursion and had a great time. Celebrated my 60th birthday with my friend who turned 50.