Puntarenas to San Jose

Noosadaz

I want to get from the port in Puntarenas to San Jose city centre. Has anyone done this before or does anyone know the best way to get there? Thanx.

A taxi would be your best bet. They do have buses running both ways, but the schedules may not work with your time there.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi,

Nothing too exciting really - I am (sadly perhaps!) an avid collector of Hard Rock Cafe memorabilia and recording visits - I often plan trips around the locations which gets me places in the world I would not normally think to visit!

My cruise next year is part of a 10 month trip which is taking me all over the world with destinations loosely defined by HRC localities...

Fortunately I am more into the cocktails that the food or I'd be 10 times my size haha!!! :)

Anything else you would recommend I try and squeeze into my visit??

Yours is not much different than the way I travel. Any number of reasons are good enough to serve as instigation for a trip. I'm actually glad that the reason is not the usual cathedral or other main stream tourist thing or that you're not trying to pack everything in the guide book into one trip. Pick something interesting and go, relax and have fun.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey there!!

Apologies for slow response as am travelling at present... I'll be there in a couple of weeks so will let you know how I get on

Looks like it's May you're there so will hopefully give enough time to arrange

I am there on 22nd April (depart tomorrow from Miami) and have booked a private vehicle through Odyssey Tours as recommended by pilotdane in the thread below. Price is $250 and if you can remind me I will happily give feedback prior to your departure ad have I think 6 ports of call thereafter so should get WiFi access okay

I am there on 22nd April (depart tomorrow from Miami) and have booked a private vehicle through Odyssey Tours as recommended by pilotdane in the thread below. Price is $250 and if you can remind me I will happily give feedback prior to your departure ad have I think 6 ports of call thereafter so should get WiFi access okay ��

Thank you so much for your information!

What did they offer you for 250$? Are they driving with you to Hard Rock Cafe?

Can you send me a copy of your request? I would like to ask for the same tour you booked ;))

Will happily forward the email - not sure how to do this through Cruise Critic?? Basically I have an English speaking driver for 7-8 hours the city being 2 hours away... They asked for no deposit and said a driver will be waiting on arrival. Besides the HRC I'll simply ask for recommendations as I've found the locals always know a few hidden gems... A real shame we're not there the same day as I'm sure the price is fixed and will be flying solo!

Will happily forward the email - not sure how to do this through Cruise Critic?? Basically I have an English speaking driver for 7-8 hours the city being 2 hours away... They asked for no deposit and said a driver will be waiting on arrival. Besides the HRC I'll simply ask for recommendations as I've found the locals always know a few hidden gems... A real shame we're not there the same day as I'm sure the price is fixed and will be flying solo!

This is a good question, I don't know either how to do it with CC. Maybe just copy it into this thread?

Did you tell them you want to drive to HRC!

You are right, it's a shame we are not there on the same dates :(

Do you also have Port of Call in Puerto Vallarta? There is a Hard Rock Hotel ;)

...and have booked a private vehicle through Odyssey Tours as recommended by pilotdane in the thread below...

Please note that I have never used or recommended Odyssey Tours and have no information about them good or bad.

Hi,

First my apologies to pilotdane - I knew we'd been discussing aspects but the recommendation came from elsewhere.

I'm pleased however to report they were EXCELLENT! My driver spoke perfect English and the minivan I had was air conditioned and in good condition. I have no concerns recommending Odyssey foe your excursion.

Worth noting the HRC is around 15km outside of the city near the airport and doesn't open until noon so we stopped on our way back to the ship.

Hope you have a wonderful time!

Best wishes.

Hi,

thank you so much for answering!

We are glad that all worked out well for you - so we wrote them today as well...

How many hours have you been on tour with them?

Was there plenty of time at the end?

Our ship departure time is 7pm...

Also I saw that you wanted to go to Guatemala City (HRC as well!?) did you make it there? If yes, what company and can you recommend?

Thanks!

Edited by SteffilovesRCCL

Hi,

I can't remember exact timings but approx as follows:

2 hours to San Jose

1.5 hours in San Jose

.5 hours to HRC

1 hour at Hard Rock Cafe

1.5 hours back to ship

Obviously time back at port will depend on your total time and traffic but it was more than comfortable for myself.

Yes - did get to Guatemala City - used a company called Elizabeth Bell Tours: elizabethbell@inreach.com

Not as good as Odyssey as no English speaking drivers but managed to get around 1 hour in Antigua (the old capital) and .5 hours at the HRC - mainly due to heavy traffic in the city itself - would recommend perhaps doing in reverse or the city only. Think the cost was $200 and four of us went in the 10 or so seater minibus.

Hope this helps and have a great cruise!!