Celebrity Equinox or Navigator of the seas

travellerin1984

Hello!

Me and my boyfriend want to book a cruise for May 2012 in the Mediterraean. There is two alternatives left; One week with Navigator of the seas (Royal Caribbean) or 10 days with Equinox (Celebrity).

We are round 30 years old, active people, no kids. First timers, never been on a big boat (except the nordic boats between Finland and Sweden) We love good food and wine but like different kind of activities as well. Now I am wondering if Celebrity suits us better or is it too "boring"? The price is almost same. Do you feel a big difference between one week and 10 days cruise?

Thanks for your help!

Equinox all the way for me!

Solstice class ships are amazing. But.......much depends on the type of cruise you are looking for. Fun with lots of different activities or more reserved with with a focus on relaxation. Both ships are a good option for a first cruise.

You won't be disappointed either way.

I agree with woodards in that you won't be disappointed either way.

On Navigator we had a great time as a group; up until 2/3am in the mall at the disco and bars. Very, very busy ship.

Equinox is more like a beautiful boutique hotel in comparison, with a much more sophisticated feel. Very relaxing but with some great bars. Martini bar is excellent. We loved the pool deck too with pool butlers.

In our opinion, Equinox is an all round notch above Navigator, but we wouldn't hesitate to sail Navigator again with our grown up daughters one day as I think they would prefer the action.

Hello!

Me and my boyfriend want to book a cruise for May 2012 in the Mediterraean. There is two alternatives left; One week with Navigator of the seas (Royal Caribbean) or 10 days with Equinox (Celebrity).

We are round 30 years old, active people, no kids. First timers, never been on a big boat (except the nordic boats between Finland and Sweden) We love good food and wine but like different kind of activities as well. Now I am wondering if Celebrity suits us better or is it too "boring"? The price is almost same. Do you feel a big difference between one week and 10 days cruise?

Thanks for your help!

3 more days on a newer (much newer) ship for the same price would be my choice without hesitation!!! :) Love the Equinox...in fact we are sailing on her again next week.

Med cruises are very port intensive ...if you are out on excursions all day you will be exhausted after a couple of days (no matter how young you are) and find yourself looking for rest rather than more excitement at night.

Wishing you a great cruise, whichever one you choose. :D

Hello!

Thanks for your help!

Welcome to Cruise Critic. Good place to research your questions.

We have not been on RC yet but was just on Equinox. I see you love good food and wine. We do as well. The food was very good in all the restaurants and their updated wine list is very comprehensive. It was always easy to find the proper match with the food we ordered. The red wine storage in the main dining room is amazing. I think you would really enjoy this ship.

Hello!

Thanks for your help!

We went on the NOS this past summer (July, 2011)..we are young 40's...found the ship to be very young (kids) and the food not great...Celebrity is a much better experience with lots to do in the evening...I would take Celebrity any day!!

We're not your age (in our 60's), but we have sailed on the Navigator twice and loved it. It has more activities, if you are interested, like the rock climbing wall and ice skating.

However, we have also sailed on the Eclipse, which I understand is almost identical to the Equinox and loved it too. It is a more elegant and probably has better food and a more refined ambiance.

I'd choose a 10 day over a 7 day anytime, though, depending of course on your time, the price and itinerary. In fact, we are going on the Equinox on the April 30 Med sailing.

Another consideration is that Mediterranean cruises are very port intensive, and activities on board may not be as important as on other cruises, since there are many long days in port.

We went on the NOS this past summer (July, 2011)..we are young 40's...found the ship to be very young (kids) and the food not great...Celebrity is a much better experience with lots to do in the evening...I would take Celebrity any day!!

We have also cruised on Solstice and Millennium...JMHO, I would take Celebrity...we decided no more Royal...

Hello!

Thanks for your help!

IF you are thinking of the May 11 Equinox cruise to Italy/Greece/Turkey, you should totally join us! We use both RCI and Celebrity, but thought that the price and itinerary of this cruise were great. Check out the roll call - we have a blend of people from age 20's to 60's. DH and I are in our mid-30's, no kids, and love port-intensive itineraries for sightseeing and photography.

Unless you like clubbing every night until 2am, I'm sure the Equinox will be a good experience. If you think you wil miss the parades down the promenade and the hairy legs contest, then maybe RCI is more your speed. If you want a little more class and elegance, Celebrity might be a treat for you.

We decided to book Equinox and a cabin with a balcony. We are really looking forward to the cruise... 12 of May it is. I hope the weather will be fine!

Great choice. DW and I are 50 but very active. Equinox is, by far, our all time favorite ship. And the difference between 7 and 10 days is 10 days is just the right amount of time. Seven days just gives you the chance to really settle in before it's time to think about going home.

Congrats, you will have a great time!

I think you made a good choice. We just got back from an 11 day on the Equinox to the Western Caribbean and it was wonderful. We had a balcony and spent several mornings enjoying the room service breakfast there. The food on the ship is very good especially in the MDR, and we didn't feel the need to go to a speciality restaurant because the dinners are that good.

There are a full schedule of activities on sea days with something for just about everyone. There aren't a lot of real late night things going on, with most entertainment and bars closing at midnight. That was OK with us though.

Its a classy ship with excellent service, you will have a great time.

Archived