Help 138East or anyone!

fish6

We are embarking Liberty of the Seas this Saturday with the possibility of hurricane Joaquin making landfall south of NJ. I need a back up plan for parking our car as I heard horror stories with Hurricane Sandy and flooding at the Port.

We are currently booked at a non-refundable hotel in Parispanny on Friday night. Can anyone please offer us suggestions on parking for our vehicle and transportation to the Port in case we don't want to keep our car at Port Liberty. Am I crazy to think it is unwise to keep our car at the Port or should I wait this out a bit longer?

Thank you

Donna

We are embarking Liberty of the Seas this Saturday with the possibility of hurricane Joaquin making landfall south of NJ. I need a back up plan for parking our car as I heard horror stories with Hurricane Sandy and flooding at the Port.

We are currently booked at a non-refundable hotel in Parispanny on Friday night. Can anyone please offer us suggestions on parking for our vehicle and transportation to the Port in case we don't want to keep our car at Port Liberty. Am I crazy to think it is unwise to keep our car at the Port or should I wait this out a bit longer?

Thank you

Donna

You have to do what you are comfortable with so you can sail off on the Liberty and enjoy the cruise. For indoor parking in Newark look at http://www.snap-parking.com/?gclid=CLbUg6n1oMgCFYMSHwodNlIF0Q

When this facility first opened they offered a Cruiseport shuttle, but alas no more. However I know Meg parked there once and was happy with it. You would have to arrange round trip port transportation.

Outdoor parking options abound at the airport. A last minute search on the Internet would give you lots of choices, so really no need to decide hastily. Newark airport is also "awash" in transportation. You will be able to get transportation to the port on short notice.

We are in the same situation and I definitely don't feel comfortable leaving our vehicle at the port since we don't know what may happen (I would spend the whole cruise worrying)... I think we are going to go ahead and book the indoor parking that 138east posted. Anyone happen to know how much a cab would be from the airport to the port? It's just my husband and I and two carry-on suitcases...

We are in the same situation and I definitely don't feel comfortable leaving our vehicle at the port since we don't know what may happen (I would spend the whole cruise worrying)... I think we are going to go ahead and book the indoor parking that 138east posted. Anyone happen to know how much a cab would be from the airport to the port? It's just my husband and I and two carry-on suitcases...

It's pricey. Expect to pay $55-65 each way.

The indoor parking is not at the airport. It is off site in Newark, but it is a garage. Call them to see what your options are for getting a cab. You might have to take their shuttle back to the airport terminals.

Not necessarily related to parking but......bring some cooler weather clothes, just in case. A couple of years ago friends were taking a Bermuda cruise, because of a hurricane then, it ended up being a Canada/New England cruise.

It is much more inland. We've used it in June and friends have used it just a couple of weeks ago. We were very pleased with them. Check out the posts about it on this thread. I put some pretty specific directions for getting to it. Best part, with a "Parkwiz" coupon, we paid less than $50 to park for the week. I don't know if booking this close to the departure date is going to give you as good a price, but even at a higher price, I think it's till cheaper than parking at the pier and safer.

It is much more inland. We've used it in June and friends have used it just a couple of weeks ago. We were very pleased with them. Check out the posts about it on this thread. I put some pretty specific directions for getting to it. Best part, with a "Parkwiz" coupon, we paid less than $50 to park for the week. I don't know if booking this close to the departure date is going to give you as good a price, but even at a higher price, I think it's till cheaper than parking at the pier and safer.

Thank you. I will wait it out until tomorrow when I'm in NJ and then decide once there is a clearer picture on the storm tracking.

The indoor parking is not at the airport. It is off site in Newark, but it is a garage. Call them to see what your options are for getting a cab. You might have to take their shuttle back to the airport terminals.

Great, I'll give them a call. Thanks :)

Ugh! This has me so stressed out! I'm not worried about sailing through the storm, just the flooding that could occur at the port. If anything I am going to reach out to an aunt who lives in the Beacon/Fish Kill area and see about parking there and figure out how to get down there. My husband's aunt has a non refundable hotel booked for us in Parsippany. My aunt has a small cottage and is in the process of moving, which is why we are not staying there in the first place.

I went through Fay last year on the way to Bermuda, but we left from Baltimore.

I just called and the two people I spoke with acted like they had no idea what I was talking about and said they could not help me with finding a service or tell me what was there to take to the port.

I just called and the two people I spoke with acted like they had no idea what I was talking about and said they could not help me with finding a service or tell me what was there to take to the port.

Then you will have to take their shuttle back to the airport to get a cab or book a car service. Journal Square Transportation Center in Jersey City also has garage parking. You can take a cab from there or take public transit and a cab - PATH from JSQ to Exchange Place, light rail to Bayonne, and local cab into the port. I have done this trip with luggage - PATH and light rail are accessible and I can provide details if you are interested.

Then you will have to take their shuttle back to the airport to get a cab or book a car service. Journal Square Transportation Center in Jersey City also has garage parking. You can take a cab from there or take public transit and a cab - PATH from JSQ to Exchange Place, light rail to Bayonne, and local cab into the port. I have done this trip with luggage - PATH and light rail are accessible and I can provide details if you are interested.

You are a life saver. If you wouldn't mind providing the details I would greatly appreciate it incase we have to have that as a plan B. Thank you so so much for being such a great help on these boards.

You are a life saver. If you wouldn't mind providing the details I would greatly appreciate it incase we have to have that as a plan B. Thank you so so much for being such a great help on these boards.

I'm seeing the Journal Square parking garage rate as $14/day. You take the PATH ($2.75/pp.) World Trade Center train two stops to Exchange Place. Two elevators or escalators take you up to the street level where you cross a small plaza to the light rail station on the street (ramp access). You buy a ticket from the machine ($2.10/pp) and take the light rail to Bayonne 34th Street. Then you call a local cab to the port for $10-12. They will pick you up on Ave. E or in the parking lot (accessible crossover from the light rail platform).

Bayonne City Yellow Cab

201-339-5000

Archie’s Cab & Van Service

201-858-8800

Campbell Taxi

201-339-8300

Edited by 138east

I'm seeing the Journal Square parking garage rate as $14/day. You take the PATH ($2.75/pp.) World Trade Center train two stops to Exchange Place. Two elevators or escalators take you up to the street level where you cross a small plaza to the light rail station on the street (ramp access). You buy a ticket from the machine ($2.10/pp) and take the light rail to Bayonne 34th Street. Then you call a local cab to the port for $10-12. They will pick you up on Ave. E or in the parking lot (accessible crossover from the light rail platform).

Bayonne City Yellow Cab

201-339-5000

Archie’s Cab & Van Service

201-858-8800

Campbell Taxi

201-339-8300

Thank you so very much! I am printing this out right now to put with my documents.