Private Transfer - Heathrow to Central London

daddyo

We will be arriving at LHR for the Tower Bridge to Hamburg cruise in August. I have read several reviews in the Northern Europe/British Isles forum about different private firms such as justairports, simplyairports and blackberry cars. But, I would especially like to have a recommendation from the Silversea CC'er's that have used a private transfer in past. I have always found this to be a good resource in the past!!

Few Londoners I know take the Heathrow Express, it is very expensive and often anything but 'Express'. When I lived in London, I always took the Tube. It depends on your luggage situation. You can take the Piccadilly line from Heathrow to Hammersmith then just walk across the platform and pick up the (green) District Line to Tower Hill (no stairs involved). If you decide to bail out at Hammersmith (there is a lift on the platform) there is a black cab rank outside the station. Once at Tower Hill, you are then in sight of Tower Bridge but it is a good 10-15 minute walk from the Tube to Tower Bridge with luggage, so you may need a taxi. Why not just book one of the recommended Limo services from the web, there are quite a few, but I am a bit out of date these days.

Yes if you live in London you would take the tube. But visitors are better off with the express. I've been on it dozens of times and it has always been express. Plus it's better designed for luggage and only has the one stop.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Smith was highly recommended but all booked up when we needed them. We used Advanced Airport Cars instead. They picked us up at Heathrow took us to the Four Seasons Hampshire and then to Southampton to board the Whisper the following day. Sure they do transfers to London as well.

They were very prompt and easy to deal with. Would definitely recommend.

http://www.advancedairportcars.co.uk/

Few Londoners I know take the Heathrow Express, it is very expensive and often anything but 'Express'. When I lived in London, I always took the Tube. It depends on your luggage situation. You can take the Piccadilly line from Heathrow to Hammersmith then just walk across the platform and pick up the (green) District Line to Tower Hill (no stairs involved). If you decide to bail out at Hammersmith (there is a lift on the platform) there is a black cab rank outside the station. Once at Tower Hill, you are then in sight of Tower Bridge but it is a good 10-15 minute walk from the Tube to Tower Bridge with luggage, so you may need a taxi. Why not just book one of the recommended Limo services from the web, there are quite a few, but I am a bit out of date these days.

Sorry, really disagree with this one. Few Londoners use the Heathrow Express ?????? Everybody I know does and some of them are doing trans-atlantic flights a few times a month. This is the best way to go. You could die before you get there on the Tube and that routing is extremely unfriendly, almost impossible, if you have luggage. Heathrow Express takes 22 minutes and is just about always on time. There used to be a bus called the Heathrow Express, maybe 20-25 years ago. Are you remembering this ??

The only exception to that rule is if you are living/staying in West London and heading from/to LHR very early in the morning or very late at night, especially on a weekend. In that case it is just as easy and cost effective to go direct by black cab (I won't use mini-cab's or Uber).

As I said, it depends on your luggage situation. Heathrow Express is ridiculously expensive, you are better off with a taxi.

About £25 for a single journey which for 2 people works out about 2/3 the cost of a taxi BUT you miss all the joys of the London traffic experience.

About £25 for a single journey which for 2 people works out about 2/3 the cost of a taxi BUT you miss all the joys of the London traffic experience.

Hi TTS! I assume you're being sarcastic about the joys of London traffic...

Right now they are selling 14-day advance tickets for £17.50 per person, so it only costs £33 for two. Add that price, plus a shorter cheaper cab ride from Paddington, and that's our usual MO. Last time the ride from Paddington to the Rubens was less than £10.

I agree that it's more expensive than the tube, but for us (occasional visitors) I find that I can't beat the convenience of a fairly quick train ride into central London. We took a car on our first visit. Ugh. Even late at night...the train was faster.

But if you don't want to (or can't) handle your luggage, it's not a good way to go. So it's good to have different options. We'll use Heathrow Express again, until we need to do something different.

Bleedin' 'ell JP. A man with yur edukashun shoold no that 2 x £17.50 is 35 quids

:D:D

Shoot. You got me!!

That will teach me to try higher math after a glass of wine. :o

It was £33 for two tickets so £16.50 each. Now, back to the rosé!

But, I will look at your secret websites next time I visit London.