SilverSea Air

spencgr

We just did a Med cruise aboard the Spirit. We used their "special" air deal. We flew out of Newark on Delta business class to CDG. We then flew from Paris to Rome on Air France. Return was from Nice.....BA to LHR (my least favorite airport in the world!) and then BA... LHR to Newark

Does anyone know what airlines SilverSea has contracts with? I'm trying to understand what my flight itinerary might be should I purchase their airfare. Thanks.

Hi, I booked my first Silverseas cruise for August and purchased the airfare with them and my flights are with American.

I don't know who else they use.

Hi, I booked my first Silverseas cruise for August and purchased the airfare with them and my flights are with American.

I don't know who else they use.

I just booked with the special business class airfare and they gave me a Delta booking.

I just booked with the special business class airfare and they gave me a Delta booking.

I booked the Special Business Class too:D

We are using Silversea air for the first time in a dozen sailings in mid July as they offered very reasonable air. (Silver Wind, Norway)

We first searched google flights and found the airline we wanted going to London (Virgin Atlantic) and then the airline we wanted to return to Atlanta (Delta). We then choose the specific flight/time on VA going, and Delta on return and let our TA know our choice Our TA then had Silversea book these non stop flights for us.. If you use a TA you might want to try this process or if you booked direct with Silversea let the SS rep know your flight preference using google flights before purchasing your SS air.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi Wes, that is a great suggestion:)........I did that and am very pleased with my flight times:D.....the cruise is in August

and from what I have been told the final flight part of the plan should be done soon. I mean everything is booked but from what

I understand, it is about 60 days before the cruise that everything is "TOTALLY DONE".

You're right, Lois. That 60-day window is important because that is when SS pays your airline for the tickets.

If you encounter a problem before that time(e.g. seat selection), it's possible that the airline will send you back to SS to remedy because the reservation hasn't been completed.

We're using the Business Class upgrade from SS traveling with Lufthansa and Iberia. Became complicated as to what airline to check with when we selected seats. Finally completed that task, only to check a few weeks later and find out my seats on one of the legs were "given away" to someone else. My TA went back to SS to complain with no success.

We'll be calling the airline 23 hours ahead of the flight departure to try and grab the Biz class seats released at that time.

You're right, Lois. That 60-day window is important because that is when SS pays your airline for the tickets.

If you encounter a problem before that time(e.g. seat selection), it's possible that the airline will send you back to SS to remedy because the reservation hasn't been completed.

We're using the Business Class upgrade from SS traveling with Lufthansa and Iberia.Became complicated as to what airline to check with when we selected seats. Finally completed that task, only to check a few weeks later and find out my seats on one of the legs were "given away" to someone else. My TA went back to SS to complain with no success.

We'll be calling the airline 23 hours ahead of the flight departure to try and grab the Biz class seats released at that time.

Hi,

I think you have both misunderstood the seat reservations systems and suffered from compound stuff here.

Lufty and Iberia are two different alliance groups. Star Alliance and One World. If you are prepared to stump up a small amount, then for example with Iberia once you have your PNR (your booking reference number) you can "manage my booking" and choose your seats and pay as soon as you have like. The earlier the better. I hate paying for reserving seats but it is better to pay and grumble than leave it and be stuffed. I have a couple of upcoming redemptions where the BA Club tickets cost a total of less that £100 plus some miles and voucher but the seat reservations are £96. And I hate it and I really grumble. On my last identical trip, I checked the seats at T-24 on outward and then for return and found that if I'd left it until 24 hours as you plan then wifey and I wouldn't be seated together. So I grumbled but with a bit of smugness.

The seats choices are released to book for status customers, and some fare codes, and to those that pay full prices as soon as they like before T-24hrs ie from 355 days onwards. So if you leave it to 23 hours before then the chances of you choosing a pair of seats you hankered for are very chancey or to be more accurate pretty unlikely as your choice will be from what is left over and you may not even be seated together in a small Business Class cabin. Hope this frustrating nerdy detail helps you avoid dissapointments and suprises. :)

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

Hi Jeff:) thanks for the input (not sure I understood it all). I spoke with SS this morning and things should be finalized in the

middle of June:)....actually, I have a long time friend who works for the line......she is keeping me posted on everything:D

Hi Jeff:) thanks for the input (not sure I understood it all). I spoke with SS this morning and things should be finalized in the

middle of June:)....actually, I have a long time friend who works for the line......she is keeping me posted on everything:D

Sorry it wasn't clear. Sometimes,in trying hard to be clear, I make it unclear. :)

I was basically saying seat reservations do not open up at 24 hours, as you seemed to think. They open up when you book your ticket. What is left at 24 hours is what is left over for those either without status for free seat choice, or without tickets giving free seat choice or for those that didn't pay to choose their seats. And for those signing in at exactly 24 hours there is a bunfight amongst that group for the best choice of what is left. If seat choice is important, don't wait but pay early is my advice. I'm not sure what you mean by keeping you posted, as this is something you need to be pro-active about if it is important.

Good luck, and if you have any specific questions, happy to help and I'll try and be more concise!

Hi Wes, that is a great suggestion:)........I did that and am very pleased with my flight times:D.....the cruise is in August

and from what I have been told the final flight part of the plan should be done soon. I mean everything is booked but from what

I understand, it is about 60 days before the cruise that everything is "TOTALLY DONE".

Up to that point you are able to amend your flight details. Your flights are booked - just not locked. Once it is (at 60 days), then any change would be chargeable. At least that's how it is with BA and AA and suspect it is for the other airlines they use too.

At that point, you will also be able to add extra baggage to the flight and book seats should you want (dependent on your ticketing.) (They give you the booking reference details before then if you ask for it.) I was quite shocked at the price BA wanted for their seat bookings and extra luggage. (AA was the same) If you don't want to pay in advance for seats, they open up at exactly 24 hours prior to your flight time and you can select your seats. Bare in mind others will also be booking at this moment in time. Leave it too much after and seat choices will be poor and chances are you wont get sat with each other.

I must be missing something:eek:......I am booked in Business Class and my seats are already showing up on my booking. I paid for them through SS.....I paid the extra $$$ for Business up front. And I am not sitting with anyone else......I travel solo:)

I must be missing something:eek:......I am booked in Business Class and my seats are already showing up on my booking. I paid for them through SS.....I paid the extra $$$ for Business up front. And I am not sitting with anyone else......I travel solo:)

OK, looking back you did indeed say business class, so yes, seat reservations are included and it is already taken care of. There did seem to be confusion with you saying finalisation....my mistake - I did think you were the OP .....so it'll be round before you know it. Looks like you're all set.

Deleted ... .. I'll leave you in les's hands.

Lois,

I'm not certain it is clear just yet.

Are you looking at an SS document or an airline document? If it is an SS document does it have an airline booking PNR ie a six alpha/digit reference?

If it is an airline document your seats are reserved, if it is an SS document they may or may not be reserved as it may simply be an acknowledgment of your request if there is no PNR.

Hi Jeff,:) when SS did my booking they gave me the airline information.......for AA it is a record locater number. I don't have

anything directly from the airlines. SS told me within 60 days of the cruise the flights should be fully done. Not sure if my

wording is confusing everyone. I don't know what PNR means..........When I check the AA website and put in the record

locater number, my flight and seats come up.....but it does not say it is "ticketed",,,,,,,that is the word my friend at SS used.

It should be fully ticketed in a couple of weeks:D

Hi Jeff,:) when SS did my booking they gave me the airline information.......for AA it is a record locater number. I don't have

anything directly from the airlines. SS told me within 60 days of the cruise the flights should be fully done. Not sure if my

wording is confusing everyone. I don't know what PNR means..........When I check the AA website and put in the record

locater number, my flight and seats come up.....but it does not say it is "ticketed",,,,,,,that is the word my friend at SS used.

It should be fully ticketed in a couple of weeks:D

It all looks fine with no need to worry.

If you want to have an eye kept on your flight and seat and have an ipad download "my flights hd" and this will tell you,when it is ticketed, if there are any changes ie times or seats etc.

Enjoy your trip.,

It all looks fine with no need to worry.

If you want to have an eye kept on your flight and seat and have an ipad download "my flights hd" and this will tell you,when it is ticketed, if there are any changes ie times or seats etc.

Enjoy your trip.,

Thanks, I am one of the few people left in the world who does not own an IPAD...........I will just keep checking over the

next couple of weeks.:)

PNR = Passenger Name Record. It's kind of the ticket serial number for a booking. While the record locator works it actually is linked to the PNR. The PNR is used and shared by all airlines involved in the ticketing while the record locator applies only to the airline with which the ticket is booked.

Sad story on SS air. Our cruise has an offer of reduced coach fare. No way Mrs K and I are going to fly San Antonio to Rome the Dubai to San Antonio in coach. Asked Silversea what their business class offer was and it was $2,000 more than we could book on our own. :(

Hi Randy,

Your explantion is excellent.

The PNR however often confuses people into believing that with a PNR they have a firm booking which as you know, isn't so. It's primary aim is to consolidate a whole trip, sometimes across several airlines for several people against a single name. Anyone travelling with the named person and with exactly the same travel can share the PNR. However, the rub is that it isn't a ticket. It's a reference number that may eventually list all the etickets for the travel group for each airline. The eticket replaces what many of us older travelers remembers as the long ticket with red carbon copies to be torn out and was actual travel currency. You could if your plane was cancelled go to another airline and they would accept it as travel currency and endorse it and you were good to go.

Sometimes people learn the hard way that PNR doesn't mean a ticket. An eticket number means a ticket! A PNR dissapears sometimes without warning for example if at ticketing stage a credit card number has expired or is rejected ....... and sometimes the first you find out is when you try to print off the boarding pass.

PNR = Passenger Name Record. It's kind of the ticket serial number for a booking. While the record locator works it actually is linked to the PNR. The PNR is used and shared by all airlines involved in the ticketing while the record locator applies only to the airline with which the ticket is booked.

Sad story on SS air. Our cruise has an offer of reduced coach fare. No way Mrs K and I are going to fly San Antonio to Rome the Dubai to San Antonio in coach. Asked Silversea what their business class offer was and it was $2,000 more than we could book on our own. :(

Agree. Until the PNR is converted to a confirmed booking it's flux until that's done. SS do this at 60 days as we know.

Confusion comes in I guess because Lois said she has her seats already confirmed when seat reservations were previously spoken about. I certainly viewed that as seat numbers confirmed (rather than being mentioned it is part of the fare and maybe not done yet) which I'm fairly sure can't be allocated with a number under that status. Happy to stand corrected if not the case. I know I couldn't add my extra luggage and reserve seats until it had become confirmed.

SS quoted me for flights and a hotel. The flights were with United. (Eeek!)

Flights: The price, per person, was almost identical with a price for a couple had I booked my own.

Hotel: The price per person was identical to the price of a room had I booked it myself.

I declined their offer.

In the end I paid £600 more for return business class flights than SS quoted me for cattle class - which as I recall had a very strange multi-stop routing. I am happy with with what I paid.

Seems to be a whole lotta' confusion. My post referred to SS booking my biz class ticket, not me. After providing me with the Record Locator Number, I went to each airline and selected my seats. All good...not quite. Checking back a few weeks later, I noticed I no longer had any seats on one leg of the journey.

This is when I called the airline and found out those seats were given to someone else ostensibly because it was outside of 60 days and SS hadn't yet paid for the tickets.

Lastly...the agent told me that 24 hrs prior to the flight, additional seats in biz class would be opened and I could select them then.