Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Discussion Topics > Cruise/Travel Insurance

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old March 6th, 2013, 11:59 PM
Cool Cruiser

Question Should I buy Princess insurance or find another company?

I've never purchased insurance before. (Please, I need advice on purchasing insurance, not a lecture on my past decisions not to do so THANKS)

I am Elite on Princess, so I would get the Platinum coverage for the cost of the regular coverage. The cost is 6%. Should I buy Princess insurance or find another company?

My primary concern is becoming ill or having an accident in a foreign country.

Last edited by Red Hat Cruise Cat; March 7th, 2013 at 12:01 AM.

Ad Sponsored By
Old March 7th, 2013, 07:58 AM
Cool Cruiser

About the only advantage provider-sold policies have is that they have inexpensive "Any Reason" riders, and the premiums are not age-indexed.

If neither one of those things is a problem, you can pretty much always do better (more coverage for less money) with a 3rd-party policy. Many people here have used insuremytrip.com and been satisfied with their assistance.

Old March 7th, 2013, 06:01 PM
Cool Cruiser

IMHO the medivac on the Princess protection is too low for international, even Platinum. I like $500,000 to start. There's also MedjetAssist if your primary concern is medivac. One thing about MedjetAssist is that you don't need a doctor to certify that it's medically necessary to transport you. Insurance policies typically require the trip be medically necessary. That difference may or may not matter to you.

Another thing about medical coverage is whether it's primary or secondary. Secondary means you get to submit the bills to the primary, have the primary pay it, some of it, or none of it, and then you submit what's not paid to the secondary. The Princess plan is secondary. Again, that may or may not matter.

I need an insurance policy covering blindness caused by reading the fine print