First Cunard booking not impressed

Ontario Cruiser

If the erroneous charges appear on the OP's billing statement it just takes a phone call to the bank to dispute those charges and there will be no interest, penalties, etc. incurred as a result of Cunard's error. It's only inconvenient at worst.

You can believe those worse scenarios but it doesn't make them likely especally if you talk to the bank about it.

Either way, it still does not fall into the "disgraceful" category.

A time period of 10 working days is hardly excessive.

I'm afraid I disagree. If a shop charges twice for an item in-store would you think it ok to wait 10 days for them to reverse the second charge? Of course not. And UK consumer law wouldn't either.

I'm afraid I disagree. If a shop charges twice for an item in-store would you think it ok to wait 10 days for them to reverse the second charge? Of course not. And UK consumer law wouldn't either.

And I am afraid I disagree with you. Face to face retail and distance selling are covered by different acts of law.

OK, I'll fire away.

This incident could cause OP to have to pay interest charges, could significantly impact OP's available credit (suppose OP's limit is $7500--worse, suppose it's $5,000 and OP is "overdrawn"), and even affect OP's credit report/rating. If I suffered any of those consequences, I'd be hopping mad.

It's incredibly convenient that the merchant who took 15 seconds to make the error somehow claims 15 days to correct it.

This, in my mind, is a Modest Cabin Upgrade Moment. "Ah well, give a couple weeks" doesn't cut it.

Exactly right, the interest charges alone would be frightening. Most credit cards in Canada carry between 15% and 25% interest rate.

So… I am to understand, that a credit card in Canada will immediately start charging interest, as soon as a charge appears on an account? No "period" till the next statement or billing period?

Whilst, as has been said before, a period of waiting may be "inconvenient", it certainly is not disgraceful or anything of the like…

Calm down and have a cup of tea. Just like I am going to do, and won't bother looking back at the hyperbole.

That's what's wrong with the Canadian credit card system--we just don't have enough people from other countries who think they know everything about everything to tell us how our credit cards work.

1. There is almost certainly an interest-free grace period. We do not know when OP's billing cycle started. If Cunard gets around to fixing its error within a couple weeks, regular interest may well be avoided. Let's hope so. If there's a further delay (10 days is just so darn arbitrary, what a few more?), OP is not so lucky.

2A. We do not know OP's credit limit. If the multiple, erroneous charges put the OP over the limit, it's highly likely daily interest was charged immediately, at the cash-advance rate (somewhere between 19.99% and 28.8%).

2B. Again, we do not know OP's limit. I can only speak for myself, but I always have about $1300 in monthly recurring charges, which I pay off during the grace period. (I do it for the points.) It would be a nuisance if I had to call my condo office, phone company/ISP, TV provider, Amazon, etc. to make alternate payment arrangements because, golly, Cunard's going to just take a couple weeks because, well, they can, and far be it from me to complain.

3. Again we do not know OP's situation. Will extra credit space being used on his credit card affect an application for other credit? Will it prevent him for putting other charges on his card?

Either way, it still does not fall into the "disgraceful" category.

A time period of 10 working days is hardly excessive.

This is preposterous!

Imagine having, say, $15,000 as a credit limit on the only card you use, and then Cunard decides to take a deposit of 4,000 THREE TIMES, that would leave the OP $3,000 to live on, pay bills, etc for a month?

That is horrible, and stressful, to say the least. I would conclude this is disgraceful.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We booked the Queen Victoria for 19 day from San Francisco to Sydney on Sunday July 6th and they debited my credit card 3 times in error for the down payment of $2217CDN. They acknowledged their mistake and as of today July 17th I am still waiting for them to credit my card back. Cunard said it could take up to two weeks for the the correction to show up . It only takes one day for them to debit a card so I am very disappointed with this process.

Ontario Cruiser

Here in the US, I would simply advise my credit card company that I was only paying once for the charge, that Cunard had made an error. Do not know what the law is in Canada, a simple call to the credit card company would make Cunard respond to the credit card company. I am under no obligation to pay a bill that is an error.

I believe the OP may have completely cancelled their trans-Pacific cruise on QV.

Maybe the OP will report back and tell us if the error was corrected within the time specified (far too long in my opinion), or not.

Regardless of the processes involved, if a debit can be made (or the monies involved "secured") on a bank account or card instantly, then the reverse is true, and monies could be credited back to an account or card just as instantly. Simples. End of.

I am alone in thinking that large corporations can make intentional "mistakes" of this sort with many customers, and then make a tidy sum from the accumulated interest, whilst their customers wait up to thirty days for an instant electronic process to occur?

:mad:

Edited by pepperrn

And I am afraid I disagree with you. Face to face retail and distance selling are covered by different acts of law.

I do firmly believe that some some british better than others, I sure

missfrankiecat knows .

imagine going into a shop and paying cash an the fefund took 30 days, you would tolerate it

I do firmly believe that some know british law better than others, Im sure

missfrankiecat knows .

imagine going into a shop and paying cash an the refund took 30 days, you would tolerate it

BTW I think everyone is being calm, I see no panic on the thread

Edited by rob6852

In the US one can formally contest and not pay erroneous credit card charges until the matter is resolved. So one would be obligated to pay the legitimate first deposit charged but not obligated to pay the duplicate charges.

The OP's screen name however indicates the he/she is in Canada, so I'm not sure if this also works north of the border.

That for us here in the UK

I am alone in thinking that large corporations can make intentional "mistakes" of this sort with many customers, and then make a tidy sum from the accumulated interest, whilst their customers wait up to thirty days for an instant electronic process to occur?

:mad:

You may well be.

There is a lot of misunderstanding about how the credit card system operates. Of course there is a dispute here. The system has a remedy and posters have highlighted what that is.

But a guy in a dark room at Carnival Corp. pushing a button a couple of times to rip off a customer? Really?

David.

You may well be. There is a lot of misunderstanding about how the credit card system operates. Of course there is a dispute here. The system has a remedy and posters have highlighted what that is. But a guy in a dark room at Carnival Corp. pushing a button a couple of times to rip off a customer? Really? David.
Thank you for your contribution and comment.

I've no idea how light/dark the rooms are at Carnival Corp.

I admire your faith in big businesses and how some treat their customers. I wish I could share it.

With all best wishes,

Edited by pepperrn

Cunard finally credited back my credit card yesterday which was the cut off date for my credit card. Lucky for me. I had been in touch with the credit card company and if I was billed I had to send proof from Cunard which would have been more phone calls and faxes from So I guess all is well that ends well. This is the first time it has happened to us in all of our over 60 cruises.

We did not cancel our cruise but one couple did and received the refund within 4 days.

Ontario Cruiser

Cunard finally credited back my credit card yesterday which was the cut off date for my credit card. Lucky for me. I had been in touch with the credit card company and if I was billed I had to send proof from Cunard which would have been more phone calls and faxes from So I guess all is well that ends well. This is the first time it has happened to us in all of our over 60 cruises. We did not cancel our cruise but one couple did and received the refund within 4 days. Ontario Cruiser
Hi Ontario Cruiser.

This is good news, I am very pleased that this has, eventually, worked out for you after a lot of fuss, and no doubt, stress.

I am also very pleased to read that you didn't cancel your cruise :) . Now, put this unfortunate start behind you and look forward to your cruise on Queen Victoria (there are photographs of her interiors via the link below).

Have the most wonderful time and the very best of cruises, Bon Voyage! :)

Edited by pepperrn

Cunard finally credited back my credit card yesterday which was the cut off date for my credit card. Lucky for me. I had been in touch with the credit card company and if I was billed I had to send proof from Cunard which would have been more phone calls and faxes from So I guess all is well that ends well. This is the first time it has happened to us in all of our over 60 cruises.

We did not cancel our cruise but one couple did and received the refund within 4 days.

Ontario Cruiser

So the guy in the dark room has a heart after all. Faith is restored.

Best wishes for your cruise.

David.

I admire your faith in big businesses and how some treat their customers. I wish I could share it.

With all best wishes,

By now you will have read post 44. Marvelous what?

Very best to you.

David.

Ontario Cruiser

Oh, that is good news.

You may well be.

There is a lot of misunderstanding about how the credit card system operates. Of course there is a dispute here. The system has a remedy and posters have highlighted what that is.

But a guy in a dark room at Carnival Corp. pushing a button a couple of times to rip off a customer? Really?

David.

Well said, can you image the outcome of such a thing:):

There are many ways and I think could have dealt with this better and pushed it forward and then the refund would showed very fast.

However people show concern at the refund, the real point is that Cunard charged the amount 3 times, what if that had somehow gone un noticed

Edited by rob6852

Cunard said it could take up to two weeks for the the correction to show up . It only takes one day for them to debit a card so I am very disappointed with this process.

Ontario Cruiser

Thanks for letting us know the money has been refunded. From the dates, it appears that Cunard managed the refund within 2 days. That's great news - and what it should be. The worry has come from the scaremongering idea of 'up to two weeks'. While they are technically correct in that timeframe, it made a lot of difference to your peace of mind. If only they had said 'We will do our best, and generally we manage the refund in 2-3 working days but occasionally problems occur and it can take up to 2 weeks' then you would not have had all this worry. Miscommunication is more of a problem than companies realise.