Will Carnival's banned items be banned from Princess?

Waimea'sMom

I was just reading on Cruise Critic (http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=3869) that Carnival has a list of banned items that is highly restrictive (the Carnival boards are freaking out over it). I've never cruised Carnival (and never will) but I do cruise Princess and since they are owned by Carnival, I'm leery of those rules applying on Princess as well.

As for electronic items, you can pry my iPhone and iPad out of my cold dead hands, but the one that really irks me is the musical instrument rule. I always travel with an instrument (particularly the three times I did the LA-Hawaii route on Golden) and I'm going to be lost without one.

Anyone hear rumblings of these requirements being used on Princess now too?

They are:

RESTRICTED ITEMS – SAFETY AND SECURITY POLICY

In order to maintain a safe and secure environment, Carnival prohibits bringing certain items onboard. Additionally, we reserve the right to confiscate (and destroy) any articles that in our discretion are considered dangerous or pose a risk or inconvenience to the safety and security of the ship, or our guests, and no compensation will be provided.

Confiscated Items

• Alcohol (hard liquor)/sealed, unopened bottles

• Beer/sealed, unopened bottles/cans

• Wine or champagne/sealed, unopened bottles - beyond the allowable limit of one bottle per adult 21 years of age (brought on at embarkation time only)

• Clothing irons and steamers (all Carnival ships offer laundry facilities with irons and ironing boards. Fleet-wide valet laundry service is also available for a nominal fee.)

• Electrical and household appliances (i.e. coffee makers, hot plates, toasters, etc.)

• Candles

• Heating Pads

• Incense

Prohibited Items – will be disposed of prior to boarding

• Large coolers

• Alcohol in unsealed containers

• Firearms (i.e., non-firing weapons and starter pistols)

• Ammunition (i.e., bullets, shot or missile that can be fired using a propellant)

• Imitation or replica weapons (i.e., de-commissioned weapons or those not capable of being fired, toy weapons, or any other item made, intended or adapted to be used as a weapon)

• Explosives or explosive component parts, (i.e., detonators)

• Fireworks or pyrotechnics (except those previously approved in connection with a company stage production which have been properly manifested)

• Taser or electronic stun guns

• Pepper or mace sprays

• Telescopic or regular batons

• Martial arts equipment (i.e., flails, throwing stars, belt buckle knives, etc.)

• Handcuffs, brass knuckles

• Compressed gas bottles/cylinders

• Knives with blades longer than four (4) inches ( Recreational dive knives are allowed but must be held in the custody of the Guest Services Manager or Chief Security Officer and must be checked out/in by the owner for dive excursions during the cruise.)

• Dive tanks (empty or full), diver spears/slings

• Household goods or tools of trade

• Volatile and highly flammable liquids such as cigarette lighter fluid

• Scissors with blades longer than four (4) inches (Large scissors of the type used by scrapbook and quilting enthusiasts are at times permitted with prior notification from the Security Services Department, but are held onboard in the same manner as dive knives.)

• Metal detectors

• Medical Marijuana

• Bicycles

• Surfboards

• Scooters (only permitted if used for mobility – must be stored in guest’s stateroom)

• Boats/canoes

• Segways

• Any footwear with wheels, i.e. Heely’s type shoes

Miscellaneous Concerns:

• Personal grooming devices such as hair dryers, flat and curling irons, shavers, etc., are allowed on board when used with proper caution. These devices should not be used when other electrical appliances are plugged in. However, if such devices are determined to pose a hazard, they will be removed and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark.

• Electronics such as laptops, cameras, cellular phones, etc. are allowed on board when used with proper caution.

• Electrical devices such as fans, power strips, multi plug box outlets/adaptors, and extension cords will be removed if determined to pose a hazard and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark.

• Medical gas bottles/oxygen cylinders: Allowed in connection with a certified medical condition but cannot be packed in baggage. Oxygen cylinders must be delivered to guest services and stored in a designated safe area.

• Coolers: Small, personal-sized coolers no larger than 12” x 12” x 12” for the purpose of housing small quantities of non-alcoholic beverages and/or medications are permitted as carry-on luggage.

• Live Animals: Only qualified service animals once approved by Guest Access Services at time of booking.

• Flowers and Plants: May be brought on board in the port of embarkation but are not permitted to be taken off the ship in the United States, per the U.S Customs and Border Patrol (CBP) Agricultural Division.

• Musical Instruments: Only if the guest is participating in a pre-approved ship performance.

• Radios/Boom Boxes: For the comfort of all our guests, radios and boom boxes can be used with headphones or earpieces when used in public areas.

• Floatation Devices: For the comfort of all our guests, rafts, tubes and floatation devices other than those used as life preservers (water wings) cannot be used in the swimming pools on board.

• Wrapped Gifts: Guests may bring wrapped gifts on board; however, due to heightened security, the gift may have to be unwrapped, upon request.

• DVDs/VCRs/Nintendo/Play Units: Due to compatibility issues with stateroom televisions, these items can only be utilized in suites and guests must provide their own RCA cables.

• Fish Caught on Fishing Expeditions: The fish cannot be brought on board; it must be shipped home.

• Items for In Port Use only: Snorkel gear, skateboards, golf clubs, fishing rods (packed), tennis rackets, kites (packed), roller blades/skates.

I remember seeing something last year about Carnival not allowing musical instruments. On our Hawaiian RT in 2005, we brought a guitar and an ukelele. Hubby played quietly in our cabin (his singing is even more softer), and found a spot by Sabinitinis where the PA music wasn't that loud. He not only played there on most sea days, but he was joined by other guitarists for a jam session. BTW, he not only plays (in some coffeehouses), but he has taught guitar.

Other than an electric razor (hubby's), digital camera chargers, my cell phone charger (I don't use the phone on the ship), we don't bother bringing anything electronic.

Frankly, while the list appears to be long, it doesn't seem any more restrictive than normal. I don't have an issue with anything on the list.

Fortunate for you, but for me, I play the ukulele daily. And the idea of 14 days away is enough to make me reconsider the cruise. But I'm glad you don't have an issue with anything on there.

This was presented yesterday on another post

Sorry for the repost then...I didn't see it in the first couple pages of Princess threads. My bad.

I remember seeing something last year about Carnival not allowing musical instruments. On our Hawaiian RT in 2005' date=' we brought a guitar and an ukelele. [/quote']

I'm like you and your husband, my ukulele goes with me on all my travels. I would really miss it if it were not permitted. And like your hubby, I always play in out of the way spots (usually in an empty Wheelhouse Bar).

Sorry for the reposts everyone...

I always heard don't bother trouble till trouble bothers you.

It's a shame that Carnival feels the need to lay down such explicit rules, but it looks like

most of them are because people have abused the rules the way they were.

Plugging multiple electronic devices into the same circuit is a fire hazard.

Playing music of any kind can be obtrusive to other people and detrimental to their

enjoyment of the cruise. I enjoy music, but sometimes it interferes with conversation

or relaxation.

So far as bringing a musical instrument on board, I would like a cruise line would allow

it if the request is made up front, and the musician is willing to play for guests at the

cruise lines behest.

The problem with bringing musical instruments onboard is twofold: first of all, no place onboard is as deserted as you think it is. That quiet lounge that you think is a perfect spot to play also attracts people who would prefer to use it for quiet activities, like reading. Second, not everyone who plays for fun is as good as they think they are. The only thing worse than having to listen to unwanted music is having to listen to badly-played unwanted music.

The problem with bringing musical instruments onboard is twofold: first of all, no place onboard is as deserted as you think it is. That quiet lounge that you think is a perfect spot to play also attracts people who would prefer to use it for quiet activities, like reading. Second, not everyone who plays for fun is as good as they think they are. The only thing worse than having to listen to unwanted music is having to listen to badly-played unwanted music.

First of all, I agree not everyone is a good player or playing what others like. That is why I specifically only play in two places: my cabin and deserted lounges. I never do so on my balcony or in any room with anyone else present. I also always do so at a very quiet volume.

When others enter the lounge, I leave it. I don't even open my balcony door when I play in my cabin. So unless I'm playing the drums, or an amplified electric guitar (neither of which is the case) what is it to you (or anyone else) what I do in the privacy of my own cabin or in a lounge that has only me inside of it?

That's why my hubby looked around before deciding to play where he did, in a place where most people just walk by and not sit and read (even though when I was keeping him company, I did bring a book or puzzle book...but I do that when he's playing at a coffee house if I come along). It was funny when someone on our roll call told me she spotted hubby playing and dropped a dollar in his guitar case. I did see plenty of people taking a seat and listening or stopping long enough to give a thumbs up when he finished a song.

Some people see that the hair curler is on the list and panic. Others like me read the words "with proper caution".

So one item at a time (or two if low wattage, like a camera battery charger) exercises proper caution. This list looks great for this reason.

As a church musician (acoustic guitar) I cruise to have a vacation from playing, although I have had occasion to wish for my instrument to be able to support services onboard. My brother, a professional alto sax player, always brings his axe and plays with the band in one of the lounges for fun (on RC).

So unless I'm playing the drums' date=' or an amplified electric guitar (neither of which is the case) what is it to you (or anyone else) what I do in the privacy of my own cabin or in a lounge that has only me inside of it?[/quote']

Sorry, I wanted to edit this post after I wrote it but the edit option was not available any longer. I don't mean to be so rude, but it really does bother me when I make so many efforts and go out of my way to be considerate of others when I play my instrument.

I guess I just subscribe to the theory that it is more equitable to make efforts to be considerate when playing, and to let the cruise line ask you to stop when you are not, then to ban the item entirely for everyone.

Sorry I was curt...

Some people see that the hair curler is on the list and panic. Others like me read the words "with proper caution".

So one item at a time (or two if low wattage, like a camera battery charger) exercises proper caution. This list looks great for this reason.

As a church musician (acoustic guitar) I cruise to have a vacation from playing, although I have had occasion to wish for my instrument to be able to support services onboard. My brother, a professional alto sax player, always brings his axe and plays with the band in one of the lounges for fun (on RC).

Should I ask how one plays an axe?:D

Playing music of any kind can be obtrusive to other people and detrimental to their enjoyment of the cruise.

Also obtrusive and detrimental to the enjoyment of the cruise are loud announcements about bingo, art auctions, and spa specials.

Rules are set down for the "general" public.....because generally speaking if they were not......there would be mayhem!

I bring a small electric fan and an extension cord....can not sleep without the "white noise" and, will not travel without one.

On our last cruise, a few months ago, the steward mentioned that it was perfectly fine to have the fan, as long as I was not overloading any one circuit.

I packed it in my bag that I brought onboard with us.

I like "rules"....I also like to be conscientous of noise or mess that I make that would impede on others good times and hope that they feel the same about my good time!

Cruising is different than most travel in that it's very difficult to avoid being with the general public and seeing them over and over again within the time that your spending together.

The folks that you're cruising with can make a huge difference in your cruise experience.

I've been following this discussion over on the Carnival board and have to say it really sounds like Carnival is trying to crack down on some issues that may (put a big ? after that may) have gotten out of control. Top of their list seems to be eliminating booze being brought on board, either in bottles or "rum runners"(something I actually had to look up). From what I've read, it looks like they've also very recently eliminated the possibility of buying bottles for the stateroom via Carnival's Bon Voyage service or with room service.. A flanking maneuver to increase drink sales? When reading the boards over there you do get the impression that smuggling, either bottles or via rum runners, is fairly common. I wonder if that's the case for Princess too?

did we ever get on a ship and find drunken kids around noon. I think they need to crack down but it won't be necessary on HAL or Princess as the passengers seem to know how to behave and drink responsibly.

I saw the list and my first, and conspiratorial, reaction was "they just driving up booze sales" and "not letting protect ourselves from pirates what is wrong with my gun"?

But then after contemplating it all, the firearm thing is okay as we can always just drop things onto the pirates as they're attempting to board, just not our booze! ;):D Thankfully I'm not a drinker @ all.

As for the musical instrument stuff... I've been a musician since I was 5 (first playing pipe organ pieces after learning how to read music & then moving onto guitar/bass by the time I was a 'tween) and many times I'd've loved to either play in a ship's talent show or along with the bands, but I'm such a hard person to work with that I'd be glaring @ the other musicians for something I perceived as "wrong" the way that James Brown used to glare @ his backing bands! Two music directors on stage, one the director and the other a hard headed guest like me, would be a tough thing to deal with for everyone! Unless the director was a true "shredder" and we could take turns shredding through a commonly known piece of music... that'd be like a 30 minute jam! But the last thing I'd feel like hauling on vacation is one my "axes".

Derek

Archived