Hampton Inn Convention Center, New Orleans

crooooze

We are considering staying here 3 nights pre-cruise next Aug. We're not renting a car and plan to walk, take cabs, street cars, etc.

If you have stayed here in recent months as part of your cruise vacation, I am very interested in hearing your opinions.

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

I can't post specifics on the rooms or staff, but you pretty much know the minimum of what you are getting by booking a Hampton. It is a budget hotel in the Hilton chain. If you are okay with setting your expectations there you will be fine. The convention center area is pretty centrally located and you will have no problem getting around especially if you are okay that the "hot spots" are not in a 5 block radius but more of a 15/20 minute walk or short cab ride.

Reviews are subjective, so I don't read the written reviews on trip advisor but I do look at the user photos posted to see if the basics of the hotel meet my basic needs. Here are the TA photos.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60864-d120863-Reviews-Hampton_Inn_Suites_Convention_Center-New_Orleans_Louisiana.html

We booked this one for Mardi Gras. It's actually in an historic warehouse building so it has a lot of character. I cancelled my booking at a hotel on the parade route next to the FQ because apparently it is difficult to sleep there as the police sirens are going all night and it is really difficult to get out of there to see other things in NOLA. As well, sometimes you need a break from it. Anyway, hoping it is the right thing, but some of the major parades go in a block behind the hotel so that works and you get the true Mardi Gras spirit up near Lee Circle and toward the garden District where the families celebrate rather than just the frat boy tourists. It a 15-20 minute hike in to the French Quarter, but you can also take the streetcar a couple of blocks away which runs along the Mississippi River. There are also some interesting things within walking distance such as Mardi Gras World, the World War 11 Museum which is world class, superb galleries of southern art and Riverwalk. Your are also nearer to the Garden District which is a must visit. NOLA is not just the French Quarter

A quick note. This is not the Hilton, but it is the nicest Hampton I have stayed at. It is a very attractive hotel in a renovated building that has a full bar. In short, this is not the typical Hampton you find off an interstate, though it has the strengths of the Hampton properties and is not a luxury hotel.

It's #11 out of 150 hotels in NOLA on Trip Advisor and has a Certificate of Excellence. It's not that TA is the bible, but I have usually found it to be a reliable guide in my travels. One thing I never do is to judge all hotels in a brand as the same. My experience is that the desirability varies quite substantially from one hotel to another regardless of the image that the chain has projected.

Crooooze, if you need additional information, let us know. I do not know what qualities you are looking for in a hotel. There are countless hotel properties centrally located in New Orleans. I am a New Orleans native and have stayed several times at the Convention Center Hampton. It is not a luxury hotel. But it is not a budget hotel. I like it for these reasons:

1. Value. The rates are good, though the parking charges can be steep though in line with other hotels in New Orleans.

2. Building and rooms are lovely. The hotel is in a renovated building in the Warehouse District.

3. Location. The Warehouse District is my favorite part of the downtown area. I can walk from there to the Superdome or the French Quarter, though the latter may be a mile away.

4. It has the typical Hampton buffet breakfast.

The hotel has a full bar. The bar may or may not serve food, but there are any number of restaurants within four blocks of this hotel.

If you are looking for the array of services provided by luxury hotels, you do need to look elsewhere. But given that I do not need a concierge or room service meals, I find this Hampton property a very good choice.

PS I just checked the Tripadvisor reviews. Good sample size. 532 responses. 56 percent gave it an excellent rating. 90 percent excellent or very good rating.

Edited by Reggiefan

• 3 weeks later...

I just returned from a stay at the Hampton for Mardi Gras. Ditto for all said by reggaefan, but will add that they do actually have a concierge desk and I saw a sign offering room service, although I never ordered from it.

We really enjoyed the hotel, which is housed in a restored sugar mill near the Mississippi River. The lobby is huge and a great meeting area with comfy couches and all decorated for Mardi Gras. Some guests came in with costumes who were part of the parades. They also had a lot of guests with invites to the Mardi Gras balls who could be seen strolling though in formal gear. Was really a fun scene for the occasion. Staff very helpful.

• 2 weeks later...

We have stayed at this Hampton the past two years prior to cruising out of New Orleans, and are booked again for this Saturday. This is a very nice Hampton. It is very convenient to the cruise terminal. As others have mentioned, it is in a renovated warehouse and is very nice. There is a full bar and large lobby/common area. We had a suite type room the first year we stayed which had two queen beds in one room and a separate living room with small kitchenette. It was very spacious and nice. Last year, we were in a standard room and did have some issues with the shower and noise. My wife mentioned this with the front desk as we were checking out, and they said they have a 100% satisfaction guarantee. They later sent us a voucher for a free night at any Hampton hotel which was very nice but not expected. Needless to say, we are going back again this weekend prior to a spring break cruise.

If you like the Hampton chain, you will love this hotel.

• 3 weeks later...

Just a heads up. If you have never been to NO in Aug. Let me tell you something. ITS HOT!!!! I mean sticky and sweaty hot! I went in Aug in 2010. It was like 90 some degrees with 100% Humidity!! Just walking a block and I was sweating bullets!! Had to take at least 2 showers a day. I have never experienced that kind of heat anywhere. Ive been to Florida and Vegas in Aug. Nothing compares to NO in Aug. Terrible. Ill never do that again!

• 2 months later...

how far is the carnival terminal from Hampton? We are thinking about parking at Fulton and staying at Hampton two nights before the cruise. There are a total of 12 guests half in their 50's and 60's. just wondering if Carnival Dream would be in walking distance for us all. I couldn't tell from the Satellite image.

how far is the carnival terminal from Hampton? We are thinking about parking at Fulton and staying at Hampton two nights before the cruise. There are a total of 12 guests half in their 50's and 60's. just wondering if Carnival Dream would be in walking distance for us all. I couldn't tell from the Satellite image.

It is about 4 blocks or so once you get out of the cruise terminal and on to Convention Blvd which is not too far if you don't have luggage, but it would be a chore with luggage. We ended up taking a taxi after our cruise. It's a bit of a rip as there is a standard charge to taxi from the cruise port. If I recall correctly it cost us the same amount as we paid to go from the Monteleone on Royal Street in the French quarter to the cruise port. The cab driver apologized for this. Even so, I would not have been willing to drag my luggage to the hotel. If you are splitting the cost among a cab load of travelers, it would not be worth the aggravation to walk. I can't remember exactly how much, the taxi was, but I think it was about $10.00. With that said, some people just roll their luggage up to Convention Blvd and try to flag a cab from there. This way you avoid the cruise port surcharge.

...If you are splitting the cost among a cab load of travelers, it would not be worth the aggravation to walk. I can't remember exactly how much, the taxi was, but I think it was about $10.00...

Just a note that we were quoted a different price when we were there a few months ago, and I have read about it here on the boards as well - flat rate in a cab to the terminal is $7.00 per person. It's not very far and the cabbies will want to make it "worth their while". Not sure if it's negotiable.

Thanks all for the info, for DW and I this will be our first time in NO.

You will have a great time. I love NOLA. It is a special place. Just wish that RCCL was not moving The Serenade of the Seas from NOLA to a port in Asia, Maybe other cruise lines will fill the void.

• 1 month later...

I called the Hampton back and they offered me their cruise package (not sure why they hadn't offered it before) which includes parking on their lot for $14/day and a reduced room rate with complimentary shuttle to the terminal. So I think that is the way we will be going.

Thank you all

I called the Hampton back and they offered me their cruise package (not sure why they hadn't offered it before) which includes parking on their lot for $14/day and a reduced room rate with complimentary shuttle to the terminal. So I think that is the way we will be going.

Thank you all

Sounds like a good deal. When we booked, the cruise package was way more expensive than booking without the package, but maybe that is because it was Mardi Gras.