P&O hull colour

With the two new ships from Holland America joining the P&O fleet, obviously (at least in my opinion) P&O will need to repaint the present dark blue hulls, to sever the tie to HAL ships.

A thought might be to paint the hulls 'pacific blue' - a mid-royal blue - which would not only look good (IMO) but make the P&O brand stand out from the usual white colour of other lines.

Also the blue would not show rust marks from the anchor or marks from rubber buoys when docking, anywhere near as much either.

How often does one see a white hulled ship at the OPT or White Bay and have to think hard, by looking for other ship features, to determine the name of that ship. I know I do !

It would also mean, I would hope, changing the colour of the current fleet's hulls, but they get painted from time to time anyway.

This might go someways towards mending the PR disaster that the new names have caused.

What do other listers think?

Rosee

...This might go someways towards mending the PR disaster that the new names have caused.

What do other listers think?

Rosee

Has it been a PR disaster? I know I am in FNQ (and it's a different world up here sometimes!), but I haven't seen one negative thing about the naming on the news or even social media. Granted I don't spend heaps of time on the computer each day, but still. I agree that they will have to repaint the hulls to re-brand the ships, bet they just go with white for cost sake though.

Doesn't really matter to me what the ships are named, if I can get a good price for a cruise when I want to go i'll be on them LOL

Edited by MISHELL1968

Thanks for your thoughts MISHELL1968.

If you check P&O 's Facebook page you will see that over 90% of responders there are disappointed (to say the least) with the names chosen, as well as those on CC's pages here.

P&O stated they had over 30,000 suggestions for the new names, so one would guess that there are at least 29,998 people unhappy that their names weren't the chosen ones!

They could be just jealous!

P&O might have done a better PR job to award a cruise prize at random to someone who entered the competition, not necessarily the one who suggested the winning names.

As I stated on a different thread on this board, P&O may have needed to choose names which only ONE responder suggested in order that they COULD award a prize to a single person, rather than have to decide between good names suggested by lots of people.

Anyway I appreciate your opinion,

Rosee

At this stage, they will be keeping their blue hulls. If they do end up changing, they will end up with some sort of livery along the same vein as P&O World Cruising with their stylised Union Jack. I'm not certain what they would do here though.

It would cost P&O too much in undercoat and top coat to paint the ex HAL hulls white. LOL.

They did it for Pacific and Tahitian ,now Ocean , Princess. Pacific Princess, then R3 or R4 ,sailed to Singapore for a new paint job and refit. Workmen stayed on board and completed the job as she sailed to Australia.

They did it for Pacific and Tahitian ,now Ocean , Princess. Pacific Princess, then R3 or R4 ,sailed to Singapore for a new paint job and refit. Workmen stayed on board and completed the job as she sailed to Australia.

I know David, like Regal Princess we were ion in 2007, they put 50 carpenters on in Auckland and took the ship to bits putting in extra bunks re rebirth as Pacific Dawn, although after dropping us off in Sydney, she still took off straightaway at full speed for Singapore for 6 week refit and paint job.

Edited by NSWP

Has it been a PR disaster? I know I am in FNQ (and it's a different world up here sometimes!), but I haven't seen one negative thing about the naming on the news or even social media. Granted I don't spend heaps of time on the computer each day, but still. I agree that they will have to repaint the hulls to re-brand the ships, bet they just go with white for cost sake though.

Doesn't really matter to me what the ships are named, if I can get a good price for a cruise when I want to go i'll be on them LOL

Their Facebook is on fire with people slamming them over how bad the names are! :p

To me the first thing I thought of was that it sounds like they named their ships after two old grannies :rolleyes: but maybe that's what they were going for as these ships are two old grannies really :eek: haha

I kind of agree, I personally think the names are terrible, especially with how many great suggestions I saw that people were making.

Really are people going so low and using Facebook to determine if something is successful or not. Facebook comments have zero relation to how people have received it. Firstly because people are more likely to critise then praise, secondly because many people on facebook post negative things on every update.

If you took data off facebook all the time, some of the worlds most popular bands would be nothing more then rubbish trailer bands who couldn't hit a note. Most popular tv shows as horrible and no one likes them. All social media is like this. Just look at some of the most popular channels on youtube, million and millions of few video after video yet if you look at the comments there is constant negative comments about how bad the videos are. Social media means nothing.

Also add that people don't like different things. People always say they want something new but when they get it they hate it. The main reason the names sound strange is that they are so different, to anything we have had before.

I think the ships may be repainted to match the rest of the fleet. It would be a cost issue. Getting that colour paint for the ships hulls only for two ships would be an expensive venture. That is why many ships in the same cruise line have identical paint colours.

Though I think it would be a good idea to change the colours of the ships and make them look good.

Back in WWII many countries used to camouflage their ships with colours from white, green, turquoise blue, navy blue, brown, black, pink to match geographical features like the pink of sunrise and sunset, the white of ice and snow, brown to blend in with shorelines and turquoise blue to match the blue waters of the tropics.

I recon P&O need a whole new paint scheme for their ships. They should be creative and go all colourful.

What's in a name? That which we call a rose

By any other name would smell as sweet."

Romeo and Juliet (II, ii, 1-2)

Barry

I'm with you. And who cares what Colour the hulls are

They have set livery colours and will stick to that plus refit the ships for the Australian market as they always have with the hand me downs that we get

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don't really care what colour the outside of the ship is but the interior decor is another matter. Some ships are really dreadful while others make you feel better just by sitting in an area for a while. It is all subjective of course, but I know what I like an what I don't.:D