Should we switch hotels?

hillbilly73

We are staying pre cruise for a couple of days February 6th to the 8th 2015, 12 days before Fat Tuesday. Currently we a booked at the Marriott on Canal St. we are thinking of switching to the Hilton Riverside. My concern is that the Marriott is too far away to roll our bags to the pier and with the uptown parades starting at 1 PM on Sunday don’t want to feel rushed to get up and grab a cab early to avoid traffic problems looking forward to a leisurely Sunday morning also WW2 museum looks to be closer and that is one the reasons we are cruising out of NOLA this year. The thinking is if we have to we can just walk to the pier from the Hilton and it will be about 16 dollars a night cheaper so the savings are there but minimal. For some that are more familiar with NOLA are these concerns valid and if so worth switching from a hotel right on the edge of French Quarter and on the parade route also if anyone has stayed in both which would you recommend?

The Hilton now has direct access to both terminals (Julia & Erato) through the Riverwalk.

That would be a much easier route than from the Marriott.

Thanks for the response sounds really easy to stay at the Hilton, if we stay at the Marriott what is the latest you would take a cab to the terminal with the parades starting at 1:00 and is traffic really a issue with the parades that far in advance of Fat Tuesday?

And the walk from the Marriott to the Hilton is less than five minutes. We much prefer the Marriott and stay there often, we think it is nicer than the Hilton. Both are five minutes or so from the Quarter. I would never walk to the port with our bags. A cab is very cheap and you avoid walking through all the crazy traffic. Some times the cops enforce the no walking in the street in the port area, then you do have an issue.

And the walk from the Marriott to the Hilton is less than five minutes. We much prefer the Marriott and stay there often, we think it is nicer than the Hilton. Both are five minutes or so from the Quarter. I would never walk to the port with our bags. A cab is very cheap and you avoid walking through all the crazy traffic. Some times the cops enforce the no walking in the street in the port area, then you do have an issue.

We will be staying at Marriott on Canal-any suggestions for a great breakfast and early dinner? We are not fancy eaters. Thank you.

The only parade that Sunday is the Krewe of Carrollton, which is not a major parade and as others have stated starts miles away uptown. You will have no problem getting a cab on a Sunday morning. One thing you may want to check are the museum hours during Mardi Gras. I am not sure if they operate on a modified schedule during Mardi Gras and may close early on some days. I would plan on going earlier in the day.

Edited by nolatravelgirl