Navigator of the Seas - Opinions on the Ship/Port Needed

Was just scoping out some potential sailings for 2014 and came across a Navigator cruise out of Galveston TX. I've never sailed from any ports other than those in Florida, San Juan, or Long Beach. Although the itinerary looks really nice (Honduras/Belize), I'm not sure what departing from Galveston is like. What about the Navigator itself?

If you've ever been on Navigator, I'd definitely like to know how the ship is. Also any thoughts on the Port of Galveston. Thanks, gang!

Navigator is an amazing ship. The perfect size and amount of passengers. Out of all the classes of ships besides Oasis, it s one of my top 3. We have even on her twice. She will also be refurbished by that time I would think.

I would do it if you like the itinerary. We love the ship.

Navigator is an amazing ship. The perfect size and amount of passengers. Out of all the classes of ships besides Oasis, it s one of my top 3. We have even on her twice. She will also be refurbished by that time I would think.

I would do it if you like the itinerary. We love the ship.

Thanks kruzerci-

The photos that I've seen of the NOS all look amazing. Guess the Galveston TX thing kind of makes me wonder.

Was just scoping out some potential sailings for 2014 and came across a Navigator cruise out of Galveston TX. I've never sailed from any ports other than those in Florida, San Juan, or Long Beach. Although the itinerary looks really nice (Honduras/Belize), I'm not sure what departing from Galveston is like. What about the Navigator itself?

If you've ever been on Navigator, I'd definitely like to know how the ship is. Also any thoughts on the Port of Galveston. Thanks, gang!

If you are thinking of sailing on Navigator after Feb 2014, then she will have had extensive updates, including a Flowrider surfing simulator.

I loved Navigator - friendly crew, nice size, beautifully decorated, pleasant cabins, plenty to eat, a great gym, fine sunning areas...did last year's TA on her and am doing it again this year, that should tell you how much I enjoyed her.

Right now, based on that trip last year, I'm guessing that she looks like the scheduled drydock is about a year overdue, to be honest, some paint chips here and there, soft goods that need replacing, some very worn out deck furniture...but she was always clean clean CLEAN, and by the time you sail, that drydock will be finished.

Go for it!

Navi is my second-favorite ship (behind Oasis), and Galveston is actually my favorite place to sail out of, next to my home port of LA (but we all know we can't do that anymore).:(

I like Galveston because it's a quick 3 hr. flight instead of 5+ to Florida, and the port is small, so none of the Miami/FLL hassles. And you get to sail with Them Craaaaazy Texans, the best group around to sail with!!:D

One thing that is an issue at Galveston sometimes-FOG. And rain. But mostly fog, changes sailings every now and again, so check the weather. But you will be at my fav. port on my 2nd fav. ship, so enjoy!!

If you are thinking of sailing on Navigator after Feb 2014, then she will have had extensive updates, including a Flowrider surfing simulator.

Hi Bob -

I think it was a May sailing that kinda caught my eye, along with a different itinerary than I've sailed in the past.

The Flowrider upgrade sounds nice (for a slightly yo unger, more agile type) LOL! Thanks!

I have not sailed out of Galveston but I have sailed on Navigator. I really like the Voyager class ships and this ship did not disappoint. It is kept very good shape and the crew was also excellent. I would gladly book the ship again if it was doing an itinerary that I was interested in.

We sailed out of Galveston several years ago. No issues whatsoever. We didn't stay there. We flew 3 days early and spent time in San Antonio and drove in on embarcation day. We had booked a transfer through RC and go there in the early after noon. I don't know if any of this helps but we do like the Voyager class ships.

Edited by luvscruising2007

Navi is my second-favorite ship (behind Oasis), and Galveston is actually my favorite place to sail out of, next to my home port of LA (but we all know we can't do that anymore).:(

I like Galveston because it's a quick 3 hr. flight instead of 5+ to Florida, and the port is small, so none of the Miami/FLL hassles. And you get to sail with Them Craaaaazy Texans, the best group around to sail with!!:D

One thing that is an issue at Galveston sometimes-FOG. And rain. But mostly fog, changes sailings every now and again, so check the weather. But you will be at my fav. port on my 2nd fav. ship, so enjoy!!

Thanks much for the input! Typically, DH and I go in a day early to the port city. Are the hotels near the port by chance? Any sights to see in Galveston?

I have not sailed out of Galveston but I have sailed on Navigator. I really like the Voyager class ships and this ship did not disappoint. It is kept very good shape and the crew was also excellent. I would gladly book the ship again if it was doing an itinerary that I was interested in.

Thanks Ocean - you make it sound really promising!

Thanks much for the input! Typically, DH and I go in a day early to the port city. Are the hotels near the port by chance? Any sights to see in Galveston?

I always have stayed at Hilton Galveston Island Resort. There are also The Tremont, The San Luis Resort, Hotel Galvez and a few more. Some are historical buildings, if you're into that kinda thing.

I also come in the night before, and there are many shops and cafes to walk to. Also, the beach is right across the street.

Keep in mind it's an hour or so drive to Galveston if you're flying in, and Hobby airport is way closer than the bigger airport. I like Hobby, they have really good hot wings!:)

1. Navigator. Goes in for a complete makeover in early 2014..It will have all the bells and whistles!

2. Galveston: Two ways to see Galveston. A) catch a bus from the airport, take a ride down I-45, turn left on the backside of the island and dirve past lots and lots of working ship yards....then come on CC and erroneously make dumb statements about what a dirty port Galveston is!

0r B) You can come on down I-45 go straight until you get to the seawall, and be confronted with beach as far to the right and as far to the left as the eye can see! The water is NOT blue, because of bottom sediment from the MIssissippi river, but the water is pure, clean and fun!

You can stop and eat in some really great seafood places, you could visit a great locale called Slitterbaun (theme park) or Pleaure Pier (extends out over the water or Moody gardens with their amazing offerings!

and finally: You will be cruising with the friendliest folks you can possibly imagine....Texans, Okies, Cajuns and lots of Midwesterners!

Edit to add: The whiners who complained about Galveston, are likek those folks that put on a blindfold are handed the tail of an elephant and then describe it as long and skin and rough! So beware the uninformed!!!!!

Come on down, the water is fine!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by TEXASMUNK

Hi Bob -

I think it was a May sailing that kinda caught my eye, along with a different itinerary than I've sailed in the past.

The Flowrider upgrade sounds nice (for a slightly yo unger, more agile type) LOL! Thanks!

We thought the same thing, that the Flowrider was nice for younger and more agile cruisers. We were surprised at how much we enjoyed watching others use the Flowrider even though it wasn't something we could partake in. It was quite entertaining!

1. Navigator. Goes in for a complete makeover in early 2014..It will have all the bells and whistles!

2. Galveston: Two ways to see Galveston. A) catch a bus from the airport, take a ride down I-45, turn left on the backside of the island and dirve past lots and lots of working ship yards....then come on CC and erroneously make dumb statements about what a dirty port Galveston is!

0r B) You can come on down I-45 go straight until you get to the seawall, and be confronted with beach as far to the right and as far to the left as the eye can see! The water is NOT blue, because of bottom sediment from the MIssissippi river, but the water is pure, clean and fun!

You can stop and eat in some really great seafood places, you could visit a great locale called Slitterbaun (theme park) or Pleaure Pier (extends out over the water or Moody gardens with their amazing offerings!

and finally: You will be cruising with the friendliest folks you can possibly imagine....Texans, Okies, Cajuns and lots of Midwesterners!

Edit to add: The whiners who complained about Galveston, are likek those folks that put on a blindfold are handed the tail of an elephant and then describe it as long and skin and rough! So beware the uninformed!!!!!

I appreciate the Galveston info. It was both informative and funny!

I really like the Voyager class. It has many of the features of the freedom class but a little smaller. Very nice. Sailed on Voyager out of Galveston a few years ago. We really enjoyed it... one of our best cruises. We had the best dining companions. We stayed in Houston the night before and took the transfer to Galveston. We will be on Navigator in Feb. right after the drydock updates:D, but this time we are staying in Galveston at Harbor House. It's a nice change from sailing out of Florida.

I always have stayed at Hilton Galveston Island Resort. There are also The Tremont, The San Luis Resort, Hotel Galvez and a few more. Some are historical buildings, if you're into that kinda thing.

I also come in the night before, and there are many shops and cafes to walk to. Also, the beach is right across the street.

Keep in mind it's an hour or so drive to Galveston if you're flying in, and Hobby airport is way closer than the bigger airport. I like Hobby, they have really good hot wings!:)

How have you been getting from the airport to the port (& return)? Just out of curiosity. :D:):D

As a fellow N. Texan that regularly sails out of Galveston, I couldn't have said it better myself.

My group is sailing on of Galveston on the Navigator in December.

Thank you!!! :D

We Sailed on The Mariner OTS out of Galveston last year, and really enjoyed it. The port was easy to get to, and was a breeze to embark. We stayed the night in galveston - and had some fantastic seafood at Gaido's. Roatan / Belize /Cozumel was a great itinerary. Sometimes fog is an issue in Jan / Feb. We are booked on The Navigator next April after dry dock. Here is my review from last year - lots of pics.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1566271

We Sailed on The Mariner OTS out of Galveston last year, and really enjoyed it. The port was easy to get to, and was a breeze to embark. We stayed the night in galveston - and had some fantastic seafood at Gaido's. Roatan / Belize /Cozumel was a great itinerary. Sometimes fog is an issue in Jan / Feb. We are booked on The Navigator next April after dry dock. Here is my review from last year - lots of pics.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1566271

T Bone-

I just viewed your Mariner review, and WOW! What a nice bunch of photos; I especially liked the pics of the Honduras. I'm really thinking hard about a number of options...the Honduras/Belize itinerary just looks so appealing to me. Thanks for sharing.:)

How have you been getting from the airport to the port (& return)? Just out of curiosity. :D:):D

The first time, way back in 2003, I hired a private car with a driver, it was like $80. After that, Supershuttle. I'm sure there are less expensive ways to go, I'm more of a comfort girl myself. But there are tons of transportation choices right at the airport.:)

NOS is a great ship and we are looking to cruise on her in Feb after the drydock

Here is a review, inside this thread, of a hotel next to the cruise terminal in Galveston

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1711772&highlight=harbor+house

Edited by jonbgd