Copenhagen Layover

Hi - we'll have 5 hours between planes in Copenhagen. I'm wondering if anyone has experience with taking the train from the airport to the central train station and suggestions on what we should do for a couple of hours. Tivoli is right there but doesn't open until 11. Our time frame is from about 8:30 a.m. to 11 a.m so we can get back for our connecting flight.

There's not much to do during that time period. Depending on when you get downstairs, there could be a wait for the train. Then it's about 15 minutes into town (best I can remember.) You couldn't visit Tivoli even if it were open. Lines are almost always long waiting to get in.

There is a tourist info office across the street from the station. A couple of blocks walk will get you to the square.

Just be aware of time, and don't let it get away from you.

There's also a Hilton across from the airport where you could go have breakfast and leisurely coffee in a more quiet environment. You access it by an underground tunnel across the street.

"A couple of hours" from 8:30 to 11:00 in the morning isn't really long enough to see anything nor is it a good time of day...I am assuming when you originaklly stated a "five hour layover" that the 2.5 hour slot already accounts for time wasted in "deplaning", walking from the airport gate to wherever you pick up the ground transportation, clearing customs--if you're coming from outside the EU, waiting time for the train (rarely do you hit a train schedule right on), train time to Copenhagen...and...return train to Copenhagen (which may be affected by the train schedule), passing through airport security and walking back to your gate...

But, beware, this all may take more time than you've accounted for...and your plane may be late in arriving as well...So, that 2.5 hour window may shrink dramatically...and, oh, the stress and anxiety invoved!

Personally, I wouldn't even attempt it...Schedule another trip or reschedule your flights for this one, to allow you to spend at least 2 or 3 days in Copenhagen...

Normally, I'd first recommend the Canal Boat tours...but these require two hours and I don't think they start until around 10:00 am, so you're out of luck...Rosenborg Castle and the Glyptotek Museum are other sites I'd recommend...But both don't open until 10 am...

You could stroll down the Stroget or hang at Nyhavn...but it's really a little early for either...

Good luck...

Based on these two replies I am convinced it doesn't make sense to attempt any sightseeing - I just hate to miss anything! I have a Scandinavian trip on my "list" for someday, so I'll just wait for that. Eating at the Hilton is a great idea, and otherwise we can just amuse ourselves shopping in the airport. I did read somewhere that folks took a 15 minute walk from the Hilton to something called the Amager Strandpark - do you know anything about it?

Hi - we'll have 5 hours between planes in Copenhagen. I'm wondering if anyone has experience with taking the train from the airport to the central train station and suggestions on what we should do for a couple of hours. Tivoli is right there but doesn't open until 11. Our time frame is from about 8:30 a.m. to 11 a.m so we can get back for our connecting flight.

Going to the Hilton is a good idea for breakafast, and there are many shops and restaurants in the Copenhagen airport too. However, if you felt comfortable with your timeframe to travel to the city, it's very easy to do. Getting through customs etc. is a breeze, and the train stops right at the airport with frequent stops. It only takes 15 min or less to get to the main train station. Or, you can take a taxi. From the time you exit your plane, you can be in the city in under an hour. When you return to the airport, getting though security should also be quick and easy. What to do in Copenhagen? Why not just walk around? You can walk to the city square from the train station and a walk down stroget. People watching and just being in the city is a wonderful experience in itself. But, if you do stay at the airport, your in luck because it's a beautiful and modern airport, with some good shopping and dining. A great opportunity to sample some Danish food. No matter what you do, you can't go wrong, and you'll enjoy your layover.

I did read somewhere that folks took a 15 minute walk from the Hilton to something called the Amager Strandpark - do you know anything about it?

Although I am not familiar with Amager Strandpark, Amager is the name of the area or island, and Strandpark means beach park. Although I do not know if there is a beach there, but the airport is right by the water. Go to the airport information desk and they can help you with details and directions. Maybe this website will help. http://www.amager-strand.dk/ServiceMenu/English Have fun.

Thanks for the info. I think we'll just go armed with all the suggestions, and then see how we feel that morning after our flight. The website says there is a bus from the airport to the beach, but of course then there would be the issue of getting back. Just walking around the central station area appeals, too. I can see we shouldn't be too ambitious, and just set a limit of about an hour in town before heading back, if we do it at all.

When we disembarked around 7am we headed directly to the the train station stored our luggage and took off walking. There was absolutely nothing open, it was a Sunday am. Not sure what day of the week you'll be there. We spent a couple of hours walking around the city, arrived at Nyhaven where we found a couple of cafes open for breakfast where we ate. By then the canal tours were running and we hopped on one and had a great tour around the city. The airport has a lot of shopping and restaurants if you choose to stay at the airport.

Thanks, we are scheduled to arrive 7:35 a.m. Friday morning flying SAS. Our connecting flight to Budapest leaves at 12:10 and if I read the airport web-site information correctly, SAS' arrivals and departures are from the same terminal. I had assumed we wouldn't be dealing with luggage - at least not our checked luggage, and that it would be put through to Budapest. Anyone know? Otherwise I can see that collecting luggage, going through customs and immigration, checking back in for our connecting flight, etc. would take a huge chunk of time, and we would just be better off to stay at the airport.

Archived