st thomas shopping with scooter

eigig

My husband has MS and uses a scooter for any distance--hard to walk up curbs etc and is heat sensitive. We have been on many cruises but he never gets off in port.

Next year we would like to shop together for a new diamond wedding ring for me. We are taking RCCL Explorer (done this once before too) and I have always walked to town not really paying attention to curb cuts etc. So, though I am familiar with the general layout and geography of

St Thomas, unfortunately I do not know how difficult it would be in a scooter.

We would like to visit Diamonds International or another ship recommended diamond spot and probably spend some time there if we purchase.

What would you all recommend? Taxi from the ship to the store? Is that doable?

any suggestions appreciated.

thanks in advance

Doing a scooter in town is very, very difficult. The sidewalks are too narrow in many areas and with all the pedestrians walking on the sidewalk makes it even more difficult.

You can take a taxi, if you can find a regular one and not those multi-passenger taxi/buses. But finding one that's accessible can also be very difficult.

If your ship docks at Havensight, there's a huge shopping mall right there and there are a lot of jewelry stores, including Diamonds International. BUT, before you go, look at local stores for a ring that you want and find out their price. Since jewelry is no longer a great bargain in the islands anymore, you might find you can get it cheaper at home. Also, know what you're buying. Unfortunately, there have been numerous complaints that people who purchased expensive jewelry didn't really get what they thought the did

My husband has MS and uses a scooter for any distance--hard to walk up curbs etc and is heat sensitive. We have been on many cruises but he never gets off in port.

Next year we would like to shop together for a new diamond wedding ring for me. We are taking RCCL Explorer (done this once before too) and I have always walked to town not really paying attention to curb cuts etc. So, though I am familiar with the general layout and geography of

St Thomas, unfortunately I do not know how difficult it would be in a scooter.

We would like to visit Diamonds International or another ship recommended diamond spot and probably spend some time there if we purchase.

What would you all recommend? Taxi from the ship to the store? Is that doable?

any suggestions appreciated.

thanks in advance

We just returned from 20 days with two stops in St. Thomas. I used a scooter, though we docked in Crown Point taxi service did have one lift vehicle to transport us to town. The main shopping street does have cut outs for scooters to use the sidewalk. They are wide enough for a scooter and pedistran traffic. The only problem is that most of the shops are elevated above the sidewalk level. Though the major stores do have ramps for scooters. As long as you're considerate with your driving, sharing the sidewalk with pedistrans is not a problem.

thanks good advice from all. We do dock at Havensight. Is the mall you speak of the one that is right next to the port? I walked through there on my way back to the ship but it did not seem like any people were in the stores.

I will definitely check prices etc here at home first.

thanks again.

thanks good advice from all. We do dock at Havensight. Is the mall you speak of the one that is right next to the port? I walked through there on my way back to the ship but it did not seem like any people were in the stores.

I will definitely check prices etc here at home first.

thanks again.

My DH uses a scooter (distance is an issue since he uses oxygen too) and we stay in Havensight now when we dock there. Most of the "major" stores have representation in Havensight and, if we find something we sort of like or similar, they can call their stores in town to see if there is something else and they can generally go and get it (since they understand it can be a bit difficult to get into town with scooters and such).

(Sometimes you wait a while for this - so then we just roam around and come back. And, this is if you're seriously shopping. I know, I know...a lot of issues these days, but, for some items, it's more of the memory of where and when we bought it rather than other things (then again, I'm not talking about $$$$$$$ either)).

Havensight is huge (well, compared to when I started cruising ;)) and it's a nice day out without dealing with crowds (which I prefer).

Just an option for you!

Happy Cruising (and happy shopping!!)

My DH uses a scooter (distance is an issue since he uses oxygen too) and we stay in Havensight now when we dock there. Most of the "major" stores have representation in Havensight and, if we find something we sort of like or similar, they can call their stores in town to see if there is something else and they can generally go and get it (since they understand it can be a bit difficult to get into town with scooters and such).

(Sometimes you wait a while for this - so then we just roam around and come back. And, this is if you're seriously shopping. I know, I know...a lot of issues these days, but, for some items, it's more of the memory of where and when we bought it rather than other things (then again, I'm not talking about $$$$$$$ either)).

Havensight is huge (well, compared to when I started cruising ;)) and it's a nice day out without dealing with crowds (which I prefer).

Just an option for you!

Happy Cruising (and happy shopping!!)

Do talk to the Personal Shopper Expert on board. They can be very informative about stores and give a VIP card of who to talk to that can give you the best price in that store. There is an accessible tour that the ship sells to go downtown -- it is an open cart type with a lift on the back.

However -- love Havensight and some good deals there. Know your pricing, bring a jeweler's loop and don't be afraid to deal. Pay only with credit card. V.

sorry could not figure out how to respond to each of you.

Thanks so much for your responses. I am thinking that Havensight is mall area right next to the ship's port. This is different from Crown Bay which is further away? we did dock at Crown's Bay once on the QM2.

so the Havensight Mall is the shopping area right outside the pier area and no need to go downtown to Diamonds International?

It would make our purchase special as you noted and I thank you for acknowledging that. If I can make it as "painless" :) as possible that would be fab.

I will look at home and price what we like and then maybe try to go to DI and enlist the help of the onboard shopper to insure supply at the Havensight area mall?

Did I understand this correctly? thanks again so much--truly appreciated

E.

sorry could not figure out how to respond to each of you.

Thanks so much for your responses. I am thinking that Havensight is mall area right next to the ship's port. This is different from Crown Bay which is further away? we did dock at Crown's Bay once on the QM2.

so the Havensight Mall is the shopping area right outside the pier area and no need to go downtown to Diamonds International?

It would make our purchase special as you noted and I thank you for acknowledging that. If I can make it as "painless" :) as possible that would be fab.

I will look at home and price what we like and then maybe try to go to DI and enlist the help of the onboard shopper to insure supply at the Havensight area mall?

Did I understand this correctly? thanks again so much--truly appreciated

E.

There is an accessible open cart lift type vehicle that goes downtown -- ask at Excursion Desk. Downtown has more choices, but they can get you anything you want in Havensight. Do check with the onboard shopper -- sometimes they are fabulous and really know their stuff.

Not going to St. Maarten? Better deals sometimes there and getting downtown is easy via scooter -- follow path OUT to the left. V.

Do talk to the Personal Shopper Expert on board. They can be very informative about stores and give a VIP card of who to talk to that can give you the best price in that store. There is an accessible tour that the ship sells to go downtown -- it is an open cart type with a lift on the back.

However -- love Havensight and some good deals there. Know your pricing, bring a jeweler's loop and don't be afraid to deal. Pay only with credit card. V.

Hi V & E -

We go a minimum of once or twice per year and pretty much know several people in many of the stores we frequent in St. Thomas and St. Maarten (and other ports) :eek:. My newest kick is the charm bracelets, so it's not as complicated to purchase (and watches). Though, I can never tell what sparkly things may catch my eye ;) :D

DH is still only getting used to the scooter/oxygen way of life (it's only been 1 1/2 years) and gets very frustrated when he has to get any "special" treatment (such as the special taxis, etc. Having to get him to use a wheelchair on steep embark ramps is a bear!!). So, to avoid anxiety for him (and me), we stick to close to port in St. Thomas, though we will venture into town in St. Maarten since he can ride easily and I can hike it.

I'm glad we're not at Crown Point since that would be more limiting as there isn't much there and he'd have to go to town. Havensight is at the BWI dock - not Crown Point.

If we wind up tendering in St. Thomas (which happens from time-to-time with the Gem), we purchased a combo rollator/transport chair so I can still get him off the ship and around in Havensight (in case the tenders cannot accept scooters which does happen all too frequently and since he can walk for periods of time but long walks will get to him).

I just like being able to shop a bit (since I never go out at home to shop) so, that's become my "excursions" of late. The deals are nothing like they used to be; but the memories things bring back when I wear them are truly priceless to us.

Happy cruising (and shopping) to all!

Heidi

Hey thanks so much for understanding the "situation". My husband hates to call attention to himself (as if people don't see he needs assistance :)) but it is sooo much less stressful for me and us if he can easily get to wherever he is going. I plan to shop here at home first and then enlist the assistance of the onboard shopper ( I bought an expensive watch at H.Stern on Qm2 and found the shopper to be quite helpful) for help in St Thomas. We are cruising on RCCL Explorer of the seas cause it fits with our schedules and sails from NJ (close enough to NYC so just a short cab ride away)

Again, thanks for your help and understanding. I wish you both the best of adventures!

E.

Hey thanks so much for understanding the "situation". My husband hates to call attention to himself (as if people don't see he needs assistance :)) but it is sooo much less stressful for me and us if he can easily get to wherever he is going. I plan to shop here at home first and then enlist the assistance of the onboard shopper ( I bought an expensive watch at H.Stern on Qm2 and found the shopper to be quite helpful) for help in St Thomas. We are cruising on RCCL Explorer of the seas cause it fits with our schedules and sails from NJ (close enough to NYC so just a short cab ride away)

Again, thanks for your help and understanding. I wish you both the best of adventures!

E.

Hi E -

Yup, men are stubborn. I tell mine that all the time. :rolleyes:

You'll love Explorer! We enjoyed sailing on her a few years back. For us though, the location of the type of room we usually get was not quite as nice as on other lines. We now have settled on NCL (like it's not obvious :D) since the ship size is manageable (but, gosh, I miss the ice show!! and the parades in the Promenade!!!)

Have a blast!!

EFFY is my favorite shop throughtout the Caribean and Alaska...They also sell in some department stores in the US. I like HStern, too. They have shops in St. Thomas, both downtown and at Havensight. Although they have shops on some ships, they are not recommended because they refuse to pay for the privilege...EM

H. Stern has been redone. See Barbara there -- manager. She really is very helpful and personable. Personally love Passman (next to RC shop). Very high end, but they are not pushy and always welcoming. Enjoy this special shopping trip -- that is what memories are made of. V.:)

thanks so much to all of you. I now see options where I did not see them before! Isn't that an interesting aspect of life?

I will do my homework here at home re: pricing-- and then look at the DI shops in Havensight port terminal.

I wonder how the onboard (RCCL) jewelers compare to DI . It is so nice to mull over a piece of jewelry whilst onboard that is how I bought my HStern gold watch. What do you think?

thanks so much to all of you. I now see options where I did not see them before! Isn't that an interesting aspect of life?

I will do my homework here at home re: pricing-- and then look at the DI shops in Havensight port terminal.

I wonder how the onboard (RCCL) jewelers compare to DI . It is so nice to mull over a piece of jewelry whilst onboard that is how I bought my HStern gold watch. What do you think?

Onboard shopping -- lots of fun and great salespeople. In pricing Tag Hauer watch was told, if brought card of store with pricing on it, would honor it. Sure enough, knocked ourselves out and priced same item in PR, SM, ST. Onboard was same pricing, but port stores did have more selection. Enjoy. V.:)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All -

As an update - on the Gem cruise we just completed, we docked at Crown Point. I figured our planned day of shopping was not going to happen (since it was that pier with the high wind that triggered my DH's initial breathing issues). It took us many hours from the night before when we found out and much of the morning to get him comfortable enough to use the scooter to go outside.

Well, to our surprise, they have built up the shops (well, opened many) and we pleasantly spent time (and dollars) there. There was DI, Milano, Omni (jewelry and linens), Little Switzerland and some other stores as well.

The wind was awful, but the scooter with the oxygen worked out very well for him. He even said he'd get off there next year if that's where we dock.

Not like Havensight, but, it was definitely a pleasant surprise for us! Much more populated than the last trip there.

Also, in St. Maartin, the dock area has many more stores and kiosks. Even the Chocolate Factory has an air-conditioned kiosk. We were thrilled. Wound up never leaving the port (which was super since it was humid and the walk would have been harder on me with my knees - but I wanted DH to have a good time, so I was determined to do the walk if I needed to).

We did not get off the ship in San Juan nor Samana.

Hope everyone is doing great!

Heidi

Archived