Veendam 9/29/2014 Canceled

carolcp

Just spoke with HAL and basically was not given any information other than "oh we have every confidence the ship will sail on Saturday' and "I have no cancellation information". Some updates from the higher ups at HAL would go a long way in making travelers more comfortable about packing and heading to the airport. I asked customer service if the parts needed had been received is the ship being worked on in dry dock and her reply was to the effect of 'We wouldn't have THAT information!' I personally think that's exactly the information they should have. Very frustrating not knowing.

Edited by silveranniversary
punctuation

The 4/October voyage Boston - Quebec City has also been cancelled and official announcement will come out later today apparently.

Would love to know where you got the info about the cancelation YYC F/A. Can't find anything online and I just spoke to customer service and they're not indicating a cancelation. Of course, they're not very convincing, but that's the party line still.

Just watched the news. Scuba divers are trying to remove parts of the propeller, but not done yet. The problem is the propeller do not rotate. They have to pump oil as it might to avoid oil going in the st-Lawrence and polute. Those are the last news

Customer Service will not know the progress on fixing the Veendam. The last time I called Customer Service I asked the agent how the weather was in Seattle that day and she replied "oh, I work out of Denver."

I would hope that a Corporate official would make a press release statement of some kind soon. That seems the fair thing to do for upcoming cruisers.

Edited by Linda&Vern

Gosh, I watched the news story and it reminds me how rusty my French is. Can pick out words here or there, but it's just too fast!!! haha The article I can understand though. Reading is so much easier than listening and comprehending. :)

Thanks for the updates. Hope things look better for the future cruisers soon.

Updated to say the cruise is cancelled.

100% refund and 100% of fare paid as CR for future cruise, assistance with travel arrangements.

That's the very least that I would expect. Some passengers may have taken very valuable vacation days from work that they cannot get back. Some passengers may have travelled great distances to take a cruise that is cancelled. Some may have additional expenses such as child care, pet care, and home sitters. Others may even have further vacation plans after this cruise that now may have to be cancelled.

Captain Albert has an explanation of the propeller problem on his blog. He is on the Veendam.

http://www.hollandamericablog.com/albert/

I wonder if Holland America Line is aware of how valuable of an asset Captain Albert is to the Company?

I think, not sure, but I think he is late in his career.

I am not aware of the take-out Master of the M.S. Koningsdam having been named. I am thinking it would be a most fitting honor to have this long serving gentleman, an expert on Holland America Line history, be so appointed.

Through his Blog, he has most well represented Holland America Line.

And, maybe, before he assumes those duties: On a ship that he has clearly loved, the M. S. Statendam, be the Master for that vessel on her final Holland America Line Voyage in 2015.

The Captain Albert blog is amazing and chock full of good information even if it does make me think that things are looking worse for my October 4 cruise. And I agree with you Linda and Vern - corporate really needs to step up here and share some information. Customer service is kind of left flapping in the wind as it were.

Captain Albert has an explanation of the propeller problem on his blog. He is on the Veendam.

http://www.hollandamericablog.com/albert/

I found it especially interesting to compare this entry with the closing of his Sunday post:

"Just before departure the Captain announced that there was a technical issue and we were sailing a little bit later. It will be a good thing that we are not in Quebec tomorrow. The wind is expected to breeze up in the early morning to about 40 – 50 knots. We will be sailing down the St. Lawrence River and that means it will not affect us that much."

Very interesting after his description of dealing with the Monday conditions he had just predicted.

Roy

Captain Albert's explanation is a very good lesson to Hal Hdqs. The truth, with a intelligent admission and statement of the problem is the way to go. Cruisers just want the facts.

Looking forward to sailing on the MS Veendam, in early 2016.

Sail the small ships while you can.

Captain Albert's explanation is a very good lesson to Hal Hdqs. The truth, with a intelligent admission and statement of the problem is the way to go. Cruisers just want the facts.

Looking forward to sailing on the MS Veendam, in early 2016.

Sail the small ships while you can.

We were on the Veendam with you in Antarctica. Good to see you are still doing well. We are scheduled on the Veendam for October 4 and October 11 for 14 days back to back.

Bill

Just got home from the ship and I have nothing but praise for the endless effort and help that was given by the crew and staff on board during this very unfortunate circumstance. In my opinion we are to be compensated very well and no one was hurt or injured, it could have been much worse if we had left port and had began sailing to our first port.

We were on the Veendam with you in Antarctica. Good to see you are still doing well. We are scheduled on the Veendam for October 4 and October 11 for 14 days back to back.

Bill

With wishes toward a good cruise and fond memories of our Veendam cruise to South America and Antarctica.

Bad note we both caught the cold, flu, bug that folks in your party had. Thought we were going to die and hope you were spared. It was a hell of a bug.

Just got off her today and back home.Yes it was confusing and disappointing but I for one can't praise the staff and crew enough for how it was handled and for how hard they worked to help us. I heard they may take her to dry dock in Boston for repair.

Strange blog posting. Either the author uses the illeism or the blog was not written by the Captain, but instead, authored by someone else and submitted by the Captain.

Captain Albert is not the Captain in charge of the Veendam. That is another captain - name ?

Captain Albert is on board only to train the crew in the new emergency procedures. He has been spending about a week on each ship of the fleet in turn to do this.

He is one of the longer serving captains with HAL. http://www.hollandamericablog.com/about-2-8/ He was Captain of the Veendam when we went to the Amazon in 2008.