Anyone been to Drottningholm Castle?

We are on the Eurodam arriving in Stockholm on July 20th. We want to take the ferry to Drottningholm. I understand the ferry dock is in front of the City Hall. Our ship docks at Stadsgarden 167. What is the best way to get to the ferry dock across the harbor?

Thanks!

I would say by bus.

Take any of theses buss:#434, #443, #440, #433 that says Slussen, then switch to blue bus #3 towards Karolinska Sjukhuset at slussen.

Get off at Stadshuset. Travel time about 20 minutes.

Judging by this picture. Tickets seems to be possible to aquire from the ticket machine at the bus stop.

Looking at this map I see the blue bus #3 that goes to Stadshuet. I don't see any #400 numbers near Stadsgarden.

Can you buy a ticket on the bus? Cost of tickets? Do you know if there is an ATM close by?

Like you I don't know about #400 buses. But I know that almost any bus that stops at Stadsgården on their way into town will go to Slussen. Just ask the driver at the first bus that comes along. Should you prefer to walk to Slussen it takes 25-30 minutes, more of course if you walk very slowly.

You will need a ticket before you get on the bus, it is not possible to pay the driver. Tickets can be bought at the little kiosk on the key where you leave the ship, they have some souvenirs and tourist info there. A ticket that you can use within the city for one hours costs 54 Kronor (30 if you are older than 65 and have identity card that can prove it).

The only place that could have an ATM close to where you dock is inside the Viking Terminal, next to where you will be docked. I know they had one, when I checked to answer a question on this board a few years ago, but I havn't checked since then.

I hope you are aware that to go to Drottningholm will take some time. The boat there takes an hour, and of course again an hour to get back. If this is the only thing you want to do in Stockholm it is OK. But I would not recommend it if there are also other things you want to see in Stockholm.

Thank you for all your help. I think I read that you must have cash to use the ticket machine. Can you use bills and get change or does it have to be the exact amount? Can you buy tickets at the tourist info office?

Thanks again!

Thank you for all your help. I think I read that you must have cash to use the ticket machine. Can you use bills and get change or does it have to be the exact amount? Can you buy tickets at the tourist info office?

Thanks again!

There are no longer any ticket machines. You must buy your bus tickets in the info kiosk at the quay. They will take credit cards or bills. I am not sure which currencies they would accept, probably credit card is the best way to pay.

The 400' buses is what comes up in the journey planner if you want to go later then 9am (09.00).

Before 9am bus 53 will also take you to Slussen.

the 400's are also listed further to the right on the map. I would

assume that there are not enough space to have their numbers on each stop.

Thanks for the info!

Here's another, less complicated, and prettier possibility: Take a HOHO boat from Stadsgarden two stops to the Royal Palace at the north end of Gamla Stan, then walk across the bridge, turn left, and walk straight to the pier at Stadhuset. The boat will take about 10 minutes, give you a grand view of Gamla Stan, and take you within another 10 minutes' walk to Stadhuset. (I understand that some of the early morning HOHO boats from Stadsgarden go around the harbor counterclockwise, going first to the Vasa Museum, and others clockwise, going first to Gamla Stan. Be sure you board the second.) (But even if you mistakenly board the first, you'll only lose 15-20 minutes and the boat ride will be even more scenic.)

Re the water option, the location of the Drottningholm boat pier is called "Stadhusbron," not "Stadhuset." Stadhuset, the City Hall, is at the west end of a little canal bridge called "Stadhusbron." The boat pier is at the east end of the little bridge, opposite the City Hall, and the boat operator describes the pier's location as "Stadhusbron."

If you do take the boat to Drottningholm, be sure to tour the Palace Theatre in an adjoining building. It is a perfectly intact theatre from the 1760's that was closed up and ignored for 150 years, now used a couple of weeks a year for baroque opera performances.

Archived