Uniworld "Castles on the Rhine"--High water vs Lockworker strikes

Fairfield Nana

Just read the horror stories of the folks on the recent Viking Forseti cruise on the Rhine and how their cruise turned into a bus trip. Then I read about dockworker strikes elsewhere in Germany. I know "stuff happens" but have any of these problems impacted the Uniworld SS Antoinette or other ships with the Amsterdam-Basel itinerary? I hate bus trips and strikes! Hope all is cool when we travel in late August.

I know "stuff happens" but have any of these problems impacted the Uniworld SS Antoinette or other ships with the Amsterdam-Basel itinerary?

There is only one german lock on the Rhine river at Iffezheim. Every other lock between Basel and Amsterdam (11 in total) are operated by french authorities.

This week, only bavarian lock workers went on strike, neighter the Rhine lock nor the Moselle locks joined in.

There is only one german lock on the Rhine river at Iffezheim. Every other lock between Basel and Amsterdam (11 in total) are operated by french authorities.

Interesting. Of course, although not in this case, I normally wouldn't find this reassuring if I were worried about strikes.

Bon Voyage - have a wonderful trip.

Several years ago there were also issues with low water and some of the ships couldn't travel and some cruises turned into bus trips. This was one of the deciding reasons we went with Uniworld. When we were reading about the low water issues, Uniworld indicated their ships were built for this type of river travel and handled some of the disruptions better than others. I also have a cousin who was on a Uniworld cruise when the Icelandic volcano erupted and flights were stopped out of Europe. They said Uniworld really took care of their passengers. Things can happen, what makes a difference is how it's handled.

Sharon-- Glad you are back home safe and sound and trust you guys had a great cruise--some of your posts sure sounded like it. CC should hire you as a professional river cruise reviewer, as your comments are always interesting, timely, and right on the money!

BeesKate-- thanks for the affirming comments on selecting Uniworld-- did not know they had a strong rep for good service in the event of tour "unforeseens".

Sometimes for us retirees, the unknowns/unforeseeable events tend to liven things up. Makes it more of an adventure. Of course having a planned river cruise turn into a bus trip is stretching the point.

By the way-- I really appreciate the positive comments from all of you as I ran into a few "nasties" on a recent posting on the "cruise air" section of this link. Lots of opinions out there--pro & con, which is good I guess. Just smarts a bit when the tone tends to indicate that I'm not as smart as I think I am. Something my wife periodically reminds me.

Sometimes for us retirees, the unknowns/unforeseeable events tend to liven things up. Makes it more of an adventure. Of course having a planned river cruise turn into a bus trip is stretching the point.

We had quite the adventure in the Istanbul riots :eek::D. Now my Granddaughter can tell her history class (some far, far time from now) that her grandparents were in the riots :D, and can show photos that we took. It certainly livened things up.

Archived