Canary Islands

nanwel

Hello, I am going on the Emmerald, Canary Islands Cruise in Oct - what are the things I should do/not do, and places that really stood out as I would love to go back to.....

And money - do they use the Euro there? Tried to find that on a web site and was not clear after I read the answer.

Hello, I am going on the Emmerald, Canary Islands Cruise in Oct - what are the things I should do/not do, and places that really stood out as I would love to go back to.....

And money - do they use the Euro there? Tried to find that on a web site and was not clear after I read the answer.

Hi, we're on the same cruise. Yes you will need € for Europe. There's an active roll call for our cruise, please join.

Pj

Hi, It's a few years since we did a Canary Cruise but 2 excursions which we really enjoyed were Loroparque and Teide National Park, both were Princess excursions.

If you like animals, don't be put off by the name Parrot Park, whilst there are lots of parrots there are so many more animals to see, they all look well cared for and happy.

The National Park was very impressive, they were filming when we were there which was lucky timing but even without that it would be fun. Not sure if you stop at Maderia, but we did the Cable Car, Tabogan Ride (Great fun) and a trip to a church (can't remember what it was called).

We didn't do anything in Lanzarote, but on a villa holiday recently did the Submarine Safari in Puerto Callero and it was great fun and in a lovely marina with shops and cafes.

hope this helps

Thanks, the cable car, tabbogon ride sounds fun, but not sure I could do it - had knee replacement 5 wks ago - cannot do really long walks, and not sure if those rides would work for me??? I am not a whimp but wondering if It is good for me at this time?>?> (will be 8 wks post surgery by then.

The walk to the cable car was flat, there was a walk to the church which was uphill but you may be able to avoid that and walk straight to the toboggan. The baskets are quite big and easy to sit in and when you get to the bottom we had a coach take us back to the cruise ship.

Love Maderia...city and tobaggen ride...I screamed all the way down..but had a great time.

Lanzarotte was my favorite Canary island...the landscape is like the moon...went on a ships tour to national park, moonscape, underground simmering pots..it was very interesting...

I enjoyed the Canary Islands ..but don't think they are tropical, Hawaii looking, with palm trees..they are all very different, but none like a tropical beach paradise...name is misleading.

I did the Canary Islands itinerary, followed by the transatlantic from Southampton to Ft Lauderdale last October on the Crown Princess and had a wonderful time.

The Canaries are VERY different islands from the tropical Caribbean. Don't be surprised to see lots of sand, MANY volcanoes (dormant), and as someone else mentioned ... a strange lunar-like landscape. It's a very interesting itinerary, I thought.

I can't recall exactly which island it was on, but riding on a camel was part of one excursion, and I did it! One of those things I have never done and decided "why not!"! It was pretty cool and I am glad I did.

Since you say long stretches of walking is not something you can do comfortably, I would suggest taking a taxi tour on Madeira. It's a beautiful island, and I did that a couple of years ago. The driver can tailor it to your abilities and preferences. After getting off the ship and taking the shuttle bus from the pier to the town, you should find there willbe plenty of nice, clean-cut young men offering taxi rides in Mercedes cabs. Our driver's name was Raphael, and if you are interested, I have his business card with an email address, in case you want to inquire. I recall we paid about 30 Euros apiece for a half day tour of the island. There's a lovely botanical garden, which we chose to stop at as part of our tour, but is quite spread out, so there is quite a bit of walking involved. There's a beautiful little church up high on the hill that the city is built on, and the taxi can take you right to it.

Enjoy your visit to the Canaries .... it's a different (interesting) place to see.

Edited by flamomo

The walk to the cable car was flat, there was a walk to the church which was uphill but you may be able to avoid that and walk straight to the toboggan. The baskets are quite big and easy to sit in and when you get to the bottom we had a coach take us back to the cruise ship.

Thank you! that will work!!

Did not know I would be having knee surgery when I booked this trip, but do not want to cancel - want to get away!

You can take it up and down.

You don't have to ride the

tobaggen down. Great views.

Little cafe up there to sit.

Yes the garden is beautiful but

would be to much of a walk for you.

Enjoy the the town no matter what you do.

Bon Voyage!