Chefs Table without wine?

euphscott

I have previously enjoyed a Chef's Table, so we've secured a reservation on the Splendor in May. Since that time, my wife has developed a stomach issue where wine is strictly prohibited from her diet.

Is there a tiered pricing available for anyone that does not partake in the wine consumption? Has anyone dealt with this sort of scenario?

Thanks in advance!

From the website, it lists the price as the same for kids 12+ and adults, so I'm guessing there is no tiered option for participating without wine. I could see where they might do that to discourage kids since it's such a long meal. I think some kids could handle it, but even as a budding foodie it would have been too much for me until I was probably 14 or 15.

Even without the wine, I think it's absolutely still worth the $75. The food is so good and so beautiful, and the service impeccable. I'm sure they would be happy to arrange another beverage ahead of time, though, if she wanted something other than water. As I recall, only wine and water were readily available in the room we were in. Perhaps send a note to the person listed in the reservation confirmation to ensure she'll have her beverage of choice available.

Neither my husband or I drink alcohol of any kind. He always asked for pop and I would get a virgin pina colota. I just mentioned it to one of the servers and he asked the head chef who said of course. I could have had more than one but they fill me up and I didn't need that.

It is the same price however.

tigercat

It is the same price however.

tigercat

That's what I was looking to understand. Given how much wine flows, one would think the wine is a certain percentage of the cost. I was kind of hoping a lower cost would be offered for a non-drinker.

We will keep the reservation as it is a fantastic evening and meal. But it would be nice to pay less given her "lesser" experience.

The wine flows less than you think, and it's the house brand. More than likely the soda in the can costs the cruise line more than the wine they pour.

I've done two Chef's Tables and the wine did flow freely and it wasn't house brands.

I've done two Chef's Tables and the wine did flow freely and it wasn't house brands.

That was my experience as well. I realized rather quickly that I needed to slow down, because I didn't know how much I was drinking. Every time I looked away, someone was refilling my glass! I can comfortably drink a couple glasses with dinner, but this is a GIANT, well-paced meal, and when your glass is always full, it's hard to track how much you've had until three hours later you stand up!:eek:

It was a couple years ago, but Chef's Table did not serve their lowest end wine. It was miles better than the free bottle in the steakhouse on the first night (we'll be buying the half price bottles rather than the free one when we go to the steakhouse later this month).

That was my experience as well. I realized rather quickly that I needed to slow down, because I didn't know how much I was drinking. Every time I looked away, someone was refilling my glass! I can comfortably drink a couple glasses with dinner, but this is a GIANT, well-paced meal, and when your glass is always full, it's hard to track how much you've had until three hours later you stand up!:eek:

It was a couple years ago, but Chef's Table did not serve their lowest end wine. It was miles better than the free bottle in the steakhouse on the first night (we'll be buying the half price bottles rather than the free one when we go to the steakhouse later this month).

Couldn't agree more about the free wine at the Steakhouse, yuk!!! Next time i'll go for the 1/2 price bottles as well!

No price reduction, but still a great dinner for the price.

We have done CT on Dream, Breeze, and RCCL Oasis of the Seas. While I really enjoyed them all it's "to each his own."

We love eating in the galley on Carnival and probably wouldn't do it otherwise. However, the wine selection was the same through out dinner vs. RCCL was more of a paring with each selection.

Going on Allure in October and will definitely book CT again.

• 2 months later...

Considering doing the Chef's Table on our Vista cruise in late 2017. We will also likely be purchasing the cheers package.

Does the wine served at the Chef's Table dinner count toward your 15 drinks per day? And can you order regular bar service if you wish to drink something else?

Thanks!

Misty

Considering doing the Chef's Table on our Vista cruise in late 2017. We will also likely be purchasing the cheers package.

Does the wine served at the Chef's Table dinner count toward your 15 drinks per day? And can you order regular bar service if you wish to drink something else?

Thanks!

Misty

No, but not sure about the bar service quota (probably not). These types of wine paring dinners are ALL about the food and wine. You might just want to try it as it comes- something new can't hurt, I hope! Fine wine makes fine cuisine extra special. Be bold, expand your horizons!

No, but not sure about the bar service quota (probably not). These types of wine paring dinners are ALL about the food and wine. You might just want to try it as it comes- something new can't hurt, I hope! Fine wine makes fine cuisine extra special. Be bold, expand your horizons!

I love wine (esp. the reds). It's not about expanding my horizons so much as far as the wine goes. I can usually only drink a couple of glasses of wine at a sitting though, before my taste buds are asking for a change up. Of course, if they are alternating the types of wine based on what we are eating, that might be enough of a change up for me! :)

I agree, I have done 5 and never had a problem getting a glass refilled (just the opposite I had to ask not to have it done. While it is not a $100 per bottle wine, it was very nice. Where do people make this stuff up from?

I agree, I have done 5 and never had a problem getting a glass refilled (just the opposite I had to ask not to have it done. While it is not a $100 per bottle wine, it was very nice. Where do people make this stuff up from?

Could be someone experienced a chefs table with miserable service, ours gave us excellent service

Because at our Chef's Table it was Santa Carolina, the house brand.

We did have an excellent experience. Sometimes things happen.

Edited by SadieN

This is definitely NOT a wine pairing dinner. There is a red and a white, fairly decent and free flowing. A pairing is a different wine served with each course.

Because at our Chef's Table it was Santa Carolina, the house brand.

We did have an excellent experience. Sometimes things happen.

To be honest I cannot remember the brand, I was more referring to the "not flowing" comment.

The first time we did it, about three years ago, there were different wines pared with each course.

This January it was the same wine the entire dinner. I believe it was Mezzacorona, but can't swear to it.

We have done the CT on RCCL and it was a true wine paring.