First Time Azamara "Journey" for Celebrity Veteran

librarylady19

Beautiful gardens:

P1080939.jpg

P1080937.jpg

I walked all the way to the outer city walls of Pompeii in search of the Ampitheater, to no avail. The Necropolis, the "Street of Tombs":

P1080958.jpg

P1080959.jpg

In one area, there are storage rooms showing some of the many artifacts uncovered, and some of the well-known plaster casts of victims:

P1080950.jpg

P1080948.jpg

I knew I had to start heading back to find the way out of Pompeii as it was already 12:30 p.m. (and ship was leaving at 5:00 p.m.) so I began the long, hot walk back to the exit. One thing to remember, is that there are multiple exits and it is important to find the right one (I had to return the audio guide and pick up my drivers license also!). After getting turned around a few times, I finally located that exit to take me to the Pompeii Scavi train station for my return trip to Sorrento.

Luck was on my side again, as a train came along with minutes of my arrival at the station (I remembered to validate my return ticket just in time!).

The trip back to Sorrento was uneventful. I stopped at the Gelataria Davide, recommended by Rick Steves, that was located very near the train station for a delicious pistachio and coconut gelato cone.

I had a little time to spare, so I walked around Sorrento for a while. Most of the "regular" stores were closed as it was Sunday and the souvenir shops didn't hold much interest for me (I'd bought my fill of lemon soaps, limoncello and other souvenirs by this time). I was not looking forward to walking back down to the cruise port after the arduous walking in Pompeii. Fortunately, I saw a bus coming that had a sign for Marina Piccola, where our ship tendered so I took a chance, flagged it down, paid the small fare (a euro or two?), I thankfully enjoyed a bus ride back to the tender.

Fortunately, Scott was feeling better by this time and was able to enjoy our last dinner in Discoveries that night. We then returned to our cabin to pack and get our luggage out before 11:00 p.m.

We were due to dock in Civitavecchia by 7:00 a.m. the next morning. In actuality, it was a little earlier than that. We arranged to meet Rob & Deirdre in Windows so we could all get off the ship at the same time (we had requested a 7:30 a.m. departure). All went smoothly and we were off the ship, with our luggage in tow and took the shuttle to the bus stop where we were able to catch a taxi to the train station.

We purchased tickets for the train to Rome and after a short wait, we were on a very comfortable train for the trip. We only had a few hours there as we had purchased tickets for the fast train to Florence online from home.

We took the metro to the Colosseum. Deirdre, Rob & Philippa had been here before, so they kindly watched our luggage so we could go inside. Fortunately, we purchased tickets online in advance as the lines were long.

I can't say I was overly impressed by this site as it was marred by the mass of tourists (yes, I know we were in that crowd) and the souvenir stands and hawkers around the site.

We did manage to get a few photos that weren't blocked by other people:

C8E47BC1-43EA-4367-88A7-C32B3862222A.jpg

P1080979.jpg

P1080985.jpg

This is definitely an attraction that would be better appreciated with a tour guide, in less crowded conditions (if that exists there....).

We had a little more time, so we walked over to see the Forum:

P1080996.jpg

We made the frantic trek back to the main train station for our trip to Florence...now I understand the warnings not to overpack!

Edited by librarylady19

People had recommended other places than pompeii, but in the end, I am so glad we spent a huge part of our day there. It is something you learn about in elementary school and such a treat to be there. I would like to see the museum in Naples next time to see the "real"artifacts, but it is an amazing site to see.

You really had to twist and turn to find the theatre. There were actually two theaters and the coliseum there. It was difficult to find. The place really is HUGE.

Anyone going to see it should really study a map BEFORE going if they want to see more. The rick steves audio guide was great, but he even points out that routes are closed routinely. One of the things that amazed me was that there were areas that had not be excavated. Also, as someone else said, the many many places that people purchased food. It was a working city and hard to believe how advanced these people were, including the lead pipes. I loved that they washed the street, etc. I highly recommend seeing this in your lifetime if you have the chance.

Before I share some of our experiences in the wonderful city of Florence, I want to summarize our thoughts about Azamara, particularly as compared to our Celebrity experiences.

I don't think it will come as a surprise to anyone that I preferred Celebrity S Class to Azamara, primarily due to the lack of entertainment options, dining choices, bars, indoor pool, and modern bathroom.

Food:

A tie - the quality of the buffet food and consistency of main dining food was a match for the specialty restaurants and Blu.

Service:

Slight edge to Azamara, not enough to tip the scales for us, but appreciated. I think it was due primarily to the there being many fewer passengers on Azamara, and the crew weren't as overburdened.

Cabin:

Celebrity wins - I prefer the modern style of S Class cabins, most particularly the Aqua Class cabins and their shower. Sorry, Azamara fans, but those bathrooms are the pits and have no place on a "luxury cruise" Should be updated asap.

Entertainment:

I never have high expectations for X, but didn't realize that there were quite a few activities I enjoyed (such as cooking programs, late night comedians, Cirque-type shows, and lounge entertainment) until it was not available. Azamara's entertainment was very limited and definitely aimed at an older crowd.

Advantage - X

Outdoor Amenities:

Not much to explore and enjoy on Azamara; we missed the Lawn Club, Sunset Bar and Solarium we enjoy on S Class ships.

I do not regret sailing Azamara as the price was comparable with X and I'm glad I have experienced them, but in this case the grass was not greener......(oh wait, no lawn.)

Before I share some of our experiences in the wonderful city of Florence, I want to summarize our thoughts about Azamara, particularly as compared to our Celebrity experiences.

I don't think it will come as a surprise to anyone that I preferred Celebrity S Class to Azamara, primarily due to the lack of entertainment options, dining choices, bars, indoor pool, and modern bathroom.

Food:

A tie - the quality of the buffet food and consistency of main dining food was a match for the specialty restaurants and Blu.

Service:

Slight edge to Azamara, not enough to tip the scales for us, but appreciated. I think it was due primarily to the there being many fewer passengers on Azamara, and the crew weren't as overburdened.

Cabin:

Celebrity wins - I prefer the modern style of S Class cabins, most particularly the Aqua Class cabins and their shower. Sorry, Azamara fans, but those bathrooms are the pits and have no place on a "luxury cruise" Should be updated asap.

Entertainment:

I never have high expectations for X, but didn't realize that there were quite a few activities I enjoyed (such as cooking programs, late night comedians, Cirque-type shows, and lounge entertainment) until it was not available. Azamara's entertainment was very limited and definitely aimed at an older crowd.

Advantage - X

Outdoor Amenities:

Not much to explore and enjoy on Azamara; we missed the Lawn Club, Sunset Bar and Solarium we enjoy on S Class ships.

I do not regret sailing Azamara as the price was comparable with X and I'm glad I have experienced them, but in this case the grass was not greener......(oh wait, no lawn.)

Thanks for your lengthy review and some nice pictures!

I really do feel though, that it is impossible to compare S-class with Azamara. It is like apples and oranges in my book.

One is a funky new kid on the block, one is a classic older lady....

I was reading part of your review to my DH - when it came to the part about the bathrooms he said 'what is the problem with those showers'...now he is 6' and he has never even realised that there is supposedly an 'issue'. Perhaps we just knew to shower sideways. And separately.

On X or RCI we would not be seen dead in the buffet but on Azamara we dine in the buffet almost every night. I actually wouldn't even think of it as a 'buffet' (which has motorway service station connotations)- I see it more as a casual open air dining experience.

I guess we never really bother with the shows on the big ships - but we really appreciated the cosy ambiance and gentle humour of Eric or Russ. And I love the visibility and accessibility of the senior members of crew.

I guess what I am trying to say, is that when I go on Azamara I expect a slower pace, I expect wonderful attentive service, and, OK, another glass of wine.

When I go on Solstice I expect wonderful décor, plush furnishings and gorgeous artwork.

When I go on Oasis of the Seas I expect more people, I expect to have to book entertainment and restaurants before I even get on board, I even expect children, I expect to have to wait for a lift...

It is a different experience - and I personally like 'flitting' between the three brands. Variety is the spice of life.

Edited by little britain

A very balanced post Little Britain and can I also add, if we all liked the same thing, life would be such a drudge.

I hope readers come all the way through the pics (they are lovely but don't half take a time to load) and reflect on posts like the last one. It would be so cruel on Azamara if potential first timers dismiss the line part way through this thread - I am sure Sandi is best placed to tell us the reality of readers starting but not finishing reading items.

Edited by uktog

Thanks for your lengthy review and some nice pictures!

I really do feel though, that it is impossible to compare S-class with Azamara. It is like apples and oranges in my book.

One is a funky new kid on the block, one is a classic older lady....

I was reading part of your review to my DH - when it came to the part about the bathrooms he said 'what is the problem with those showers'...now he is 6' and he has never even realised that there is supposedly an 'issue'. Perhaps we just knew to shower sideways. And separately.

On X or RCI we would not be seen dead in the buffet but on Azamara we dine in the buffet almost every night. I actually wouldn't even think of it as a 'buffet' (which has motorway service station connotations)- I see it more as a casual open air dining experience.

I guess we never really bother with the shows on the big ships - but we really appreciated the cosy ambiance and gentle humour of Eric or Russ. And I love the visibility and accessibility of the senior members of crew.

I guess what I am trying to say, is that when I go on Azamara I expect a slower pace, I expect wonderful attentive service, and, OK, another glass of wine.

When I go on Solstice I expect wonderful décor, plush furnishings and gorgeous artwork.

When I go on Oasis of the Seas I expect more people, I expect to have to book entertainment and restaurants before I even get on board, I even expect children, I expect to have to wait for a lift...

It is a different experience - and I personally like 'flitting' between the three brands. Variety is the spice of life.

I agree with almost everything you say Little Britain.

Sailing on both Celebrity and Azamara is wonderful but for very different reasons.

On Celebrity S class the Lawn Club, the Sunset Bar and the more options to amuse us are great but I too avoid the buffet like the plague.

Azamara obviously offers a gentler pace but IMO, the itineraries are vastly superior. On the recent Journey cruise where Sandi and I met, we only had one overnight. On previous Azamara sailings we have had three and also more long stays in port. For us, there is nothing that beats having dinner ashore in a glorious Italian or South of France port.

I consider myself lucky to be able to experience both cruise lines. Vive la difference!

I also agree with a lot that Little Britain said. Last year and this we have or will have sailed on Azamara and Celebrity Eclipse each year. Love them both for different reasons.

To be honest though, if Azamara was not so much costlier here we would sail on her always.

Thank goodness there is a great choice in the cruising industry. Formal/ Casual. Party/ Sedate. As they say, "Ya pays yer money, yer takes yer choice"

Sent from my iPad using Forums

People had recommended other places than pompeii, but in the end, I am so glad we spent a huge part of our day there. It is something you learn about in elementary school and such a treat to be there. I would like to see the museum in Naples next time to see the "real"artifacts, but it is an amazing site to see.

You really had to twist and turn to find the theatre. There were actually two theaters and the coliseum there. It was difficult to find. The place really is HUGE.

Anyone going to see it should really study a map BEFORE going if they want to see more. The rick steves audio guide was great, but he even points out that routes are closed routinely. One of the things that amazed me was that there were areas that had not be excavated. Also, as someone else said, the many many places that people purchased food. It was a working city and hard to believe how advanced these people were, including the lead pipes. I loved that they washed the street, etc. I highly recommend seeing this in your lifetime if you have the chance.

A note on Pompeii for others going in the future

Pompeii has its OWN guides. Outside guides are not allowed to enter. You have to pay for the guide. Totally worth it. Not the best place for a Rick Steves audio tour.

Uktog, spurs girl, little Britain - I really appreciate your insights. I hope you realize that I am not saying celebrity is the better cruiseline - just a better fit for my interests and tastes. I hope this will be helpful to some who aren't sure if they should try Azamara, but I don't claim to be an expert on either line - heck, I am practically a newbie compared to many of you veteran and frequent cruisers!

A note on Pompeii for others going in the future

Pompeii has its OWN guides. Outside guides are not allowed to enter. You have to pay for the guide. Totally worth it. Not the best place for a Rick Steves audio tour.

I concur! Much as I love Rick Steves, a guide would definitely have provided me with a better understanding and I wouldn't have got lost!!!

Hi Sandi,:) I have really enjoyed reading and seeing all your photos

of course:D

I will stick with Celebrity but to be honest, I want to do a British Isles

itinerary but what they offer next year doesn't work for me:eek: so after

all these years I "might" be straying......haven't book anything yet

but am looking around:eek:

I know some will say loyalty has no part in cruising but as you know,

I have been sailing with X for a long time......it is a weird feeling

(for me) to look at other lines.

Edited by Lois R

Hi Sandi, I agree with you, but Rosy prefers the smaller ships.

Having been lucky enough to try many different lines, all with different experiences, I'd be happy to go on any again, but prefer Seabourn, Regent and Azamara.

However, my feeling is that Azamara are gradually increasing their prices, nearer to the so called 6* lines, so I'll be booking whoever gives me the best allround deal.

Uktog, spurs girl, little Britain - I really appreciate your insights. I hope you realize that I am not saying celebrity is the better cruiseline - just a better fit for my interests and tastes. I hope this will be helpful to some who aren't sure if they should try Azamara, but I don't claim to be an expert on either line - heck, I am practically a newbie compared to many of you veteran and frequent cruisers!

Sandi,

I know how much you enjoyed your first visit to the Mediterranean even though as you said Azamara was not the perfect fit for you.

And isn't it lucky that we all have different tastes otherwise we would all be fighting to cruise on the same ships. LOL.

It was a pleasure to meet you and Scott ( and Deirdre and Rob and Phillipa) and I hope our paths cross in the future on X.

Hazel

Thought it was just me and my lack of map! I totally agree with your assessment of Pompeii. I spent over an hour just trying to find the ampitheaters - so many streets were closed and my map was unclear - and I never did find either one of them! I understand now why it is recommended to visit the more manageable sites such as Herculaneum. I definitely just scratched the surface of Pompeii's treasures.

Like many of you, we often prefer to make our own way to some of these places rather than be involved with a busload of others. But for sites such as Pompeii, it really does pay to arrange in advance for a private guide if you aren't a 'ship's excursion person.' Our guide took the time to give us a brief outline of the areas he planned to cover and asked if there was anything else we were particularly interested in seeing. We were in a group of 6 that we'd 'found' pre-cruise through CC and one of the couples made the arrangements for the Pompeii tour.

Really loving your thorough review and marvelous pictures. We were on a similar itinerary with Quest almost 3 years ago and you r bringing back great memories. Of all the ports visited, I think Valletta and Malta were the biggest surprise and certainly one of our favorites. Mdina is mind-boggling, and the co-cathedral was completely unexpected. We were particularly delighted to see the exceptionally large Caravaggio painting that hangs there, particularly because it's in the very room where, if I remember correctly, Caravaggio was ex-communicated for pairing scenes considered too gory (e.g., the be-heading of John the Baptist).

We have 7 cruises with Azamara under our belts and find your comparisons with the Celebrity S ships helpful because we are book on the Solstice for next February around the 'top end' of Australia. I've been a bit hesitant about going to a somewhat larger ship, but your review tells me we will be quite happy with our cabin even if there are some other areas that might not be our top choice. I am struck once again that we all do have different preferences - and isn't that a good thing?!! We like the occasional classical music on the Quest and Journey, don't care at all about the late-night dancing every night; very much enjoy the easy-going sea days - although Iron Chef is certainly shoot! Our preference is for the slightly longer journeys; won't do 7-nights anymore unless it can be back-to-back, which is just a terrific treat! We'd sure like to see Azamara up-date its decor and make those bathrooms a bit larger! But it's not the most important thing to us. Service is, as are the itineraries although after travels far and wide we recognize that we'll like some ports and not others, that there will be occasional mis-steps in every ship's plans or execution of plans, but that we'll always come back knowing that we're a little more aware of the world and our fellow-man than we were before we left.

Keep up the great work! Love your posting!

• 3 weeks later...

We are scheduled for a "Journey" in late 2015 and are now looking forward to it more than ever! It will be our first cruise on Azamara and the smallest ship experience to date. Your review, specifically of the ship, has been very helpful to prepare for the coming cruise.