Air Line strike

Chicago Boy

I don't mean to be cryptic but I don't think I can name the airline in question in this forum. There is a German airline that is supposedly on strike at the moment. Does anyone have any information as to how long the is strike is going to last? We fly to Rome via Frankfurt on Nov. 3rd. and wonder if the strike will be over by then. Fortunately, we booked through Choice Air so I expect we will get there on one carrier or another. I came across this news on the internet. Any thoughts.

Thanks.:)

As a professional G-IV Captain I would never book a flight on American Airlines. They are always on strike. It's a company were all the different groups of employees hate each other. I know this because I have a very good friend at American Eagle who works for the Union. He thinks strikes are a good thing.

CaptDave

I heard on the news this morning that SEIU employees at Laguardia who clean the airplanes are on strike because of lack of training and equipment to deal with the ebola virus.

Do international flights even land at LaGuardia? If not then this seems odd.

I don't mean to be cryptic but I don't think I can name the airline in question in this forum. There is a German airline that is supposedly on strike at the moment. Does anyone have any information as to how long the is strike is going to last? We fly to Rome via Frankfurt on Nov. 3rd. and wonder if the strike will be over by then. Fortunately, we booked through Choice Air so I expect we will get there on one carrier or another. I came across this news on the internet. Any thoughts.

Thanks.:)

No problem naming airlines, hotels, or cruise lines. You can even name excursion companies as long as it is in the context of a review or request for a recommendation. The only Cruise Critic prohibition that I'm familiar with is for travel agents and competing web sites and that is just because it would potentially be in conflict with the advertisers that make Cruise Critic possible.

No problem naming airlines, hotels, or cruise lines. You can even name excursion companies as long as it is in the context of a review or request for a recommendation. The only Cruise Critic prohibition that I'm familiar with is for travel agents and competing web sites and that is just because it would potentially be in conflict with the advertisers that make Cruise Critic possible.

Thank you L. Simon.....The airline is Lufthansa. I'd imagine Choice Air is monitoring the situation very closely. At least I hope so. We bought our tickets through them.

No new strike announcement on Lufthansa for now. However, the union will only announce it with a short 48 hour notice.

Always check lufthansa.com for information. This is where you find all details regarding your flight, even a strike announcement in case it happens.

November is a long way down the road, I would not worry too much right now. Numerous flights from Chicago on Star Alliance carriers per day. If your flight gets cancelled for whatever reason, you will get rebooked to any other carrier, preferably Star Alliance of course, but depending on the individual case not necessarily limited to that.

LH is very consumer friendly when it comes to flight interruptions and always tries to gets the customer out on the next possible flight with open seats in same class. You are in good hands is what I am trying to say.

As a professional G-IV Captain I would never book a flight on American Airlines. They are always on strike. It's a company were all the different groups of employees hate each other. I know this because I have a very good friend at American Eagle who works for the Union. He thinks strikes are a good thing.

CaptDave

Kindly tell me the last time American Airlines pilots went on strike.

Also, as a professional pilot, I am sure you are aware that American and American Eagle (now called Envoy) have 2 separate pilot groups, in different unions.

And to the original poster: since it is Lufthansa Cargo,you have nothing to worry about, unless your travel agent got you a fantastic deal on airfare, since you will be traveling in a box.

Edited by Nachosdelux

No new strike announcement on Lufthansa for now. However, the union will only announce it with a short 48 hour notice.

Always check lufthansa.com for information. This is where you find all details regarding your flight, even a strike announcement in case it happens.

November is a long way down the road, I would not worry too much right now. Numerous flights from Chicago on Star Alliance carriers per day. If your flight gets cancelled for whatever reason, you will get rebooked to any other carrier, preferably Star Alliance of course, but depending on the individual case not necessarily limited to that.

LH is very consumer friendly when it comes to flight interruptions and always tries to gets the customer out on the next possible flight with open seats in same class. You are in good hands is what I am trying to say.

Thank you for the reassuring words Cool Cruiser. I have been in touch with Celebrity this morning regarding another matter and we were also assured that Choice Air would have seats for us. This is the reason we always use Choice Air. It does relieve some of the stress.

Kindly tell me the last time American Airlines pilots went on strike.

Also, as a professional pilot, I am sure you are aware that American and American Eagle (now called Envoy) have 2 separate pilot groups, in different unions.

And to the original poster: since it is Lufthansa Cargo,you have nothing to worry about, unless your travel agent got you a fantastic deal on airfare, since you will be traveling in a box.

Old habits, I still call United Continental sometimes. American & Delta are not happy airlines. Being in the aviation industry you see how important it is to use company's where the employees love their jobs. Flying a corporate/private Gulfstrean IV you usually love going to work. Been to just about everywhere in the world with me at the controls. I think I know just a tiny bit about aviation and the sure way to airline somewhere.

CaptDave

CaptDave

All unions think strikes are a good thing! A dinosaur institution that has long out lived it usefulness:).

All unions think strikes are a good thing! A dinosaur institution that has long out lived it usefulness:).

In the 90's the major US Airlines had union contracts where the very senior captains worked 4 days a month and made $300,000+. All negotiated by the airline unions. Along comes Southwest & Jet Blue with a positive employee attitude and no crazy pay scales.

Guess what, all the old school major airlines went bankrupt. The airlines like American, Delta & United had to take huge pay and benefit cuts (that's United before Continental bought them). This makes some pilots really hate their jobs, and their company.

I would rather fly with a company where pilots don't hate coming to work.

CaptDave

In the 90's the major US Airlines had union contracts where the very senior captains worked 4 days a month and made $300,000+. All negotiated by the airline unions. Along comes Southwest & Jet Blue with a positive employee attitude and no crazy pay scales.

Guess what, all the old school major airlines went bankrupt. The airlines like American, Delta & United had to take huge pay and benefit cuts (that's United before Continental bought them). This makes some pilots really hate their jobs, and their company.

CaptDave

CaptDave, with all due respect you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. I am a 27 year Captain at Delta Airlines. Yes, there have been "ups and downs," but Delta, as we speak, is in the process of hiring 300 pilots a month. With our merger with Northwest we have become a remarkably profitable airline, showing multi-billion profits for each of the last few years. The entire company was just awarded a significant profit sharing with an expectation of another profit sharing check after the first of the year.

Delta has NEVER gone on strike! We actually are a very "happy" airlines. The employee groups get along very well, and the only unions are Pilots and Dispatchers. Our union-management relations are remarkably healthy and respectful.

Your obviously incredible lack of knowledge is most evident in your comment:

"very senior captains worked 4 days a month and made $300,000+." That is one of the most ridiculous comments ever written. You obviously have very naive and incorrect knowledge of the airline industry. Hope you know your G-IV better than you know airline operations. In fact all airline pilots fly, block to block, an average of 75 to 80 hours per month (or more). Now as a G-IV pilot, I would assume you understand the concept of "block to block." Based on your comments, I doubt you do. So let me explain, We are paid from the time we "block out" (leave the gate) until the time we "block in" (arrive at the gate). The time between flights, briefing, de-briefing (you do understand "briefing," right?) are all unpaid times. So, in order to fly 80 hours in four days, that would mean a total "block to block" time of 80 hours out of 96 total hours in 4 days or 20 hours airborne per day. Since the FAA requires mandatory rest periods, maximum daily flight hours, that would be pretty difficult.

So, it appears to me that you are either a novice pilot, or one of "those" that couldn't get hired at a major and are angry about it. But how about you don't sell yourself as an "expert" when you are obviously nothing of the sort.

By the way, I have loved EVERY DAY that I have come to work. So do 90% of my fellow pilots. It's the best job in the world. One I am sure you wished you had.

Edited by papaflamingo

Said American goes on strike, and it does.

Everyone got a big pay and benefits cut, you know it.

I flew for Texaco on the 2 corporate G-IV's. Chevron bought out Texaco back in 2000-2001 period. Our Texaco CEO became the head guy at United. And he's the guy who did all the big 50% benefits cuts. I actually liked this guy and his wife. He didn't cut my pay.

CaptDave

I flew for Texaco on the 2 corporate G-IV's. Chevron bought out Texaco back in 2000-2001 period. Our Texaco CEO became the head guy at United. And he's the guy who did all the big 50% benefits cuts. I actually liked this guy and his wife. He didn't cut my pay.

CaptDave

Again when was the last time American went on strike? It was February 15, 1997 and it lasted less than five minutes, just enough time for President Clinton to invoke the Railway Labor Act. Just for the record, most American pilots are happy campers right now, with their big pay raise; the seniority issue from the merger already resolved and brand new planes.

CaptDave

When was the last time AA stopped flying because of a strike? I cannot even remember nor have I had a flight cancelled due to a strike. Just lucky I guess.

CaptDave

Yes, it's true that pay and benefits cuts were taken after 9/11 and that we all struggled with bankruptcy. And yes, it's true that American has gone on strike. But you stated "I would never book a flight on American Airlines. They are always on strike." In fact, the last strike at American Airlines was Nov. 1993 over two decades ago! And the last "job action" at American Airlines was a "sickout" in 1998 a full 16 years ago! Hardly "always on strike" as you claim.

You further state "It's a company were all the different groups of employees hate each other. I know this because I have a very good friend at American Eagle who works for the Union." I am not an American pilot, but a Delta pilot. However I have many friends that work for American and your assertion is patently untrue. I will agree that in a bankruptcy and merger environment, moral is likely not at an "all time high." But it certainly hasn't warranted the scathing comments you made.

Again, yes, we did take "big pay and benefit cuts" (not "50%") when we went through bankruptcy here at Delta in the mid-2000's. But that was 2005 and it is now 2014 and we have recovered significantly. I will reiterate that your comment "very senior captains worked 4 days a month and made $300,000+" shows your remarkable lack of any knowledge. I WISH we made $300,000 per year and especially wish it was for "4 days work." But that isn't reality, and never was reality. Perhaps you should check the O2 levels in your G-IV, your brain seems a bit deprived of oxygen.

You seem to have an immense dislike and disrespect for the airlines and their employees. You should strive to get over that. I bet you like your CEO for not cutting your pay. But keep this in mind, they can always sell the airplane. And you, you may have a job, you may not. It'll be at the whim of the BOD. Then we'll see how much you "like this guy."

As for your comment you'd "rather fly with a company where pilots don't hate coming to work," come fly on Delta, we love to come to work. Have for 27 years, even during the down times. I suspect it's the same with American.

And, unfortunately, the average person doesn't have a G-IV at his beck and call to jet off to a cruise. Doubt you do either. Exactly how DO you fly to a cruise? Or does your boss let you take his G-IV?

Last time I checked.... This was cruise critic :rolleyes: But just for the record, in the fall of 2012 we decided to compare an all inclusive resort with cruising. We splurged at a high end location in St Lucia. We booked our air on AA. I thought my husband was joking when I came downstairs to leave for the airport and he told me our flight was cancelled. We couldn't be rebooked until the next day. Since this was a "work slowdown" and not an official strike, our travel insurance would not pay. We lost an entire day of vacation and the cost of one night at the resort.

I too have lots of friends who fly corporate and for the air carriers. Aviation has it's ups and downs and the grass always seems greener on the other side. Bottom line is that all the pilots are hard working professionals. Let's just leave it at that and enjoy the relaxation that cruising offers :). The good news is that when we are on a ship we can kick back and relax because another captain is in charge!

Last time I checked.... This was cruise critic :rolleyes: But just for the record, in the fall of 2012 we decided to compare an all inclusive resort with cruising. We splurged at a high end location in St Lucia. We booked our air on AA. I thought my husband was joking when I came downstairs to leave for the airport and he told me our flight was cancelled. We couldn't be rebooked until the next day. Since this was a "work slowdown" and not an official strike, our travel insurance would not pay. We lost an entire day of vacation and the cost of one night at the resort.

Did your insurance not have "flight delay" coverage? Your flight was cancelled. It shouldn't matter why, especially since it wasn't weather or warfare.

CaptDave

I am not sure what you grudge is but you clearly have one. Your "facts" are totally off base. We walked the walk and nothing you say is accurate. As for not liking their jobs, you will find few if any at the major commercial airlines hating their jobs. However, our friends that fly corporate are not so enamored with their jobs as you. Please find another forum for your comments. How are they related to cruising?