Amber Cove Orphanage/School

nanny2wmn77

Just wondering if anyone has done the shore excursion in Amber Cove, Dominican Republic that is called "Give Back with Purpose-Community Tour". We are considering it and would like to know what and how many school supplies/gifts would be appropriate to take for the visit to the orphanage/school.

Just wondering if anyone has done the shore excursion in Amber Cove, Dominican Republic that is called "Give Back with Purpose-Community Tour". We are considering it and would like to know what and how many school supplies/gifts would be appropriate to take for the visit to the orphanage/school.

We are doing a different tour that also visits a school and I am taking in school supplies. Pencils, crayons, glue sticks and reward stickers are some of the things I thought about taking.

• 2 weeks later...
We are doing a different tour that also visits a school and I am taking in school supplies. Pencils, crayons, glue sticks and reward stickers are some of the things I thought about taking.

Keep a low profile while taking stuff to the needy. We collect all our old shoes and have a taxi driver take us to a needy area and give them away. Pretty cool seeing the faces of people.

While taking duffel bag off ship security asked what I was doing and I told them. They would not allow me to take off unless I went through the local authorities, such a hassle.

Went to guest services and lied. Told them I was taking them to the beach to take pictures, finally let me off with them.

Lesson learned.

• 4 weeks later...

I too had put together a suitcase full of school supplies to take with me for our Fathom cruise to Amber Cove. Before I left home, I received an email saying NOT TO BRING ANY DONATIONS FOR THE PROPLE IN THE DOMENICAN REPUBLIC. YOU ARE THERE GIVING THEM YOUR TIME AND TALENTS AND WE DO NOT WANT TO ENCOURAGE BEGGING WHICH WOULD CERTAINLY BE THE Result OF "gift giving". you are there to work along side these wonderful people not give handouts. I was shocked and so disappointed but once I went to the school it all made perfect sense to me. One person on our trip tried to give a teacher a box of pencils she "smuggled" on the bus and the teacher refused to accept it. She very graciously explained that they cannot except donations and they have everything they need. She even suggested donating it your own community. This excursion was truly amazing and EVERYBODY in the entire community greeted us with warm waves and hellos. It was a life changing day for us. Enjoy you time with the kids.

If you take your donations keep in mind you will have to find a way to sneak it on the bus and the facilitors may be offended.

• 4 months later...

We went on the Outback Dominican Adventure tour from Carnival Magic in April. We took a small backpack from home filled with crayons, pencils, and paper. I had read on cruise critic to do this but can not recall which thread. The teacher was most appreciative and the children happy. Our tour guide said they encouraged school supplies and not to give money even if children begged. He said when cruise ships first started coming there, children would skip school to beg and the responsible adults are trying to teach them the right ways to live. The children love the tour guide. The all wanted to show him their work and sing a song with him. It was the best ship sponsored tour we have ever done! After the school we visited a working farm and toured their home, then drove through the rainforest to their headquarters for lunch and entertainment. Last stop was a beautiful secluded beach.