Which private guide for Easter Island?

MalibuCA

We will be visiting Easter Island on our cruise, and I am trying to arrange for a private guide. I have been looking at two companies. Unfortunately, neither company is available for a private tour for only my husband and myself, but they are available for small group tours. One of the companies is Green Island Tours. The other company is Easter Island Spirit. Has anyone had experience with either of these companies - not as a private tour for 2, but as part of their small group tours? Your insights are most appreciated!

Thanks,

Shelley

We will be visiting Easter Island on our cruise, and I am trying to arrange for a private guide. I have been looking at two companies. Unfortunately, neither company is available for a private tour for only my husband and myself, but they are available for small group tours. One of the companies is Green Island Tours. The other company is Easter Island Spirit. Has anyone had experience with either of these companies - not as a private tour for 2, but as part of their small group tours? Your insights are most appreciated!

Thanks,

Shelley

We were on Easter Island a few months ago. Our company (Kia Koe (sp?) was okay but our specific guide was poor. Knew his stuff but hearing about it was like pulling teeth! Several times he was the last back to the van. We did see tons on our two days, though. A week earlier we met a young guy in Valparaiso who was heading home for our cruise - just about all English speakers would be tour guides during our visit. Check who your guide would be. I believe people were pleased with Green Island. The companies require you to prepay or put a down payment and Kia Koe's was lower.

If you want an empanada at Anakana beach, ask your guide to call ahead to order yours. We spoke to another couple whose guide did this.

Also try to step into the Catholic Church for a few minutes.

Edited by Tansy Mews

• 4 weeks later...

we had a stop for 2 days on our cruise in April, & a fellow passenger found a very interesting guy doing private tours -- Paul Pownall. He is an archaeologist who worked on one of the great Moai sites as a teenager. He did have trouble fitting the 4 of us in his truck on day 1 as his van was being repaired, but on day 2 with 3 people we comfortably fit in his jeep. I will look for his email if you wish, but phone number is 307-460-4242 or 011-56-98-134-5757. We spent 2 full days with him and we was knowledgeable & pleasant. A nice alternative to a group tour & very reasonable price.

• 2 weeks later...
we had a stop for 2 days on our cruise in April, & a fellow passenger found a very interesting guy doing private tours -- Paul Pownall. He is an archaeologist who worked on one of the great Moai sites as a teenager. He did have trouble fitting the 4 of us in his truck on day 1 as his van was being repaired, but on day 2 with 3 people we comfortably fit in his jeep. I will look for his email if you wish, but phone number is 307-460-4242 or 011-56-98-134-5757. We spent 2 full days with him and we was knowledgeable & pleasant. A nice alternative to a group tour & very reasonable price.

Do you have an email contact?

• 3 years later...
  • 8 months later...
Just be aware the consequences of missing the port due to weather . We couldnt tender on a April 2016 visit on the Marina and the cancellation fee was steep. Go in with your eyes open

Wow, I've never come across a tour operator who charged a penalty for a ship that was unable to make the stop.