Boat tour to waterfall and more Suva, Fiji

4774Papa

The best tours at Suva seem to be one that goes up a river to a waterfall and presumably involves swimming, then on to a Fijian village, etc.

My question is do you wear your swimming suit during the entire tour? Are there places to change after swimming. Do you take your own towel?

The best tours at Suva seem to be one that goes up a river to a waterfall and presumably involves swimming, then on to a Fijian village, etc.

My question is do you wear your swimming suit during the entire tour? Are there places to change after swimming. Do you take your own towel?

I assume you are probably talking about the Jewel of Figi tour offered by DiscoverFigiTours. We are booked on this tour during our October cruise. I could find no helpful info on their website, but in reading the reviews on Trip Advisor, I saw one review which mentioned the advice to "wear swimwear under your clothes". This had already been my thinking, to wear a bathing suit under a beach coverup which could be easily removed or put back on as needed. The husband will probably just wear swim trunks with a tee shirt or rash guard. I would not think the river or waterfall portions of the tour would provide any changing areas. Perhaps in the village, but I believe we then go to the rafts for the ride back, so not much point in changing to street clothes there.

I also saw mention of wearing a water shoe of some type to use for the walk to the falls, and in and around the rivers. We have a pair which will do double duty for both in water foot protection and walking. We will probably carry a lightweight beach bag with towel from the ship for a quick dry off as needed. I saw mention of being given waterproof garbage bags to hold additional clothing, etc at some point, and also that some items could be left on the bus and would meet up with you at the next stop.

I assume you are probably talking about the Jewel of Figi tour offered by DiscoverFigiTours. We are booked on this tour during our October cruise. I could find no helpful info on their website, but in reading the reviews on Trip Advisor, I saw one review which mentioned the advice to "wear swimwear under your clothes". This had already been my thinking, to wear a bathing suit under a beach coverup which could be easily removed or put back on as needed. The husband will probably just wear swim trunks with a tee shirt or rash guard. I would not think the river or waterfall portions of the tour would provide any changing areas. Perhaps in the village, but I believe we then go to the rafts for the ride back, so not much point in changing to street clothes there.

I also saw mention of wearing a water shoe of some type to use for the walk to the falls, and in and around the rivers. We have a pair which will do double duty for both in water foot protection and walking. We will probably carry a lightweight beach bag with towel from the ship for a quick dry off as needed. I saw mention of being given waterproof garbage bags to hold additional clothing, etc at some point, and also that some items could be left on the bus and would meet up with you at the next stop.

Thank Brenda,

I had read several reviews from cruisers to Fiji, but didn't see the one you mentioned. It looks like a good tour.

George

Thank Brenda,

I had read several reviews from cruisers to Fiji, but didn't see the one you mentioned. It looks like a good tour.

George

From what I have read, this tour is often offered as a shore excursion on the ship, but I saw several recommendations to book it direct with the company as it was less expensive to book direct. Someone on our Roll Call contacted this company and they opened up a tour for us. We have booked our tours for every port between Honolulu and Sydney like this.

It is much cheaper to book independently. We did this a couple of years ago.

Yes, you can wear your swim suit under your clothes, but there is a rough and ready toilet in the village where you can change if you need to.

You will be given a life vest to wear on the canoe trip.

We wore plastic shoes, Treva style, to walk from the canoe to the falls. The swimming is delightful! Great to jump into the cool water. Take your own towel.

I did a review on TripAdvisor. I think I called it A gem of a day in Fiji. My name there is Krispy.

This is a great trip. You get lunch at the village plus cava ceremony.

Enjoy!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 3 weeks later...

If you go on this tour take a sarong or something similar to wear that covers your knees while in the village. Not supposed to wear hats in the village either but they tend not to get too concerned for ship tourists but it is polite. A tip for the kava is to ask for 'low tide' when the taki master is filling the bilo.

Viator hss tours for Fiji that are cheaper than the ship's tours.

https://www.viator.com/Fiji/d23-ttd

Here are others that I found here on cruise critic

moanatours@yahoo.com

The only excursion we did was in Suva & was organised by other CC members and it was called "The awesome foursome" tour by Discover Fiji Tours. There was about 20 people in all & cost AU$100 and was about 6 hours long. It included long boat ride to village, kava ceremony, lovo cooking, the history of the village, singing and dancing, lunch prepared by villagers. We travelled further up the river and went bamboo rafting, rode the rapids, then time to visit a beautiful waterfall for a refreshing swim. We thoroughly enjoyed this trip and had a ball but would not recommend to people with mobility issues.

Discover Fiji Tours

The only excursion we did was in Suva & was organised by other CC members and it was called "The awesome foursome" tour by Discover Fiji Tours. There was about 20 people in all & cost AU$100 and was about 6 hours long. It included long boat ride to village, kava ceremony, lovo cooking, the history of the village, singing and dancing, lunch prepared by villagers. We travelled further up the river and went bamboo rafting, rode the rapids, then time to visit a beautiful waterfall for a refreshing swim. We thoroughly enjoyed this trip and had a ball but would not recommend to people with mobility issues.

LAUTOKA

This tour is similar to the one from Suva

https://www.viator.com/tours/Lautoka/Lautoka-Shore-Excursion-Half-Day-Nature-Trek-and-Waterfall-Swimming-Tour/d4794-39818P14

Not sure what to do at this port, since we aren't into snorkeling.

For Mystery Island we will likely take the ship's glass bottom boat tour

J801 Glass-Bottom Boat Tour

• 1 month later...

Discover my fiji also have a combo tour that goes to a village, they put on some dances, get to have some lovo, go to colo-i-suva rainforest/waterfalls, and go to pearl resort for just $65. Less if a lot of people interested in the tour on the day. This tour will save you money and better value

• 3 weeks later...