Transport from Gatwick to Southhampton

Any suggestions about travelling from Gatwick to Southampton on the 30th of Sept. Will be doing the 14 day cruise from the 1st to the 15th on the

Navigator.

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

You may also want to check out the British Isles port of call forum here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=233

Book your train in advance at a website such as: http://www.southernrailway.com/ and you'll be able to get the tickets for a cheap as £5 each

Buying them on the day will be about £30 each

Disadvantage if you have to pick a specific time, and if you're late you'll have to buy a new ticket. But could save money in the long run

Any suggestions about travelling from Gatwick to Southampton on the 30th of Sept. Will be doing the 14 day cruise from the 1st to the 15th on the

Navigator.

Thanks in advance.

Cannot help with transport info (I'm from Australia), but I will be on the same trip as you! yay.

Here is a link to our roll call group. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2198116

So train would be the best way from Heathrow as well?

Thanks

Raina

No Raina, not the train from LHR. Coach possible though. Try looking up National Express.

Lots of info and discussion on the UK board though as Bob mentioned.

Edited by cinnamon

Raina, my daughter and I took National Express from Heathrow. Bit of a walk through the airport to get to the bus terminal, but an easy one. We couldn't even find a way to screw it up, and we are good at travel mess ups!

Raina, my daughter and I took National Express from Heathrow. Bit of a walk through the airport to get to the bus terminal, but an easy one. We couldn't even find a way to screw it up, and we are good at travel mess ups!

Depends which terminal you fly in to. T1,2,3 use the Central Bus station...about a 10 minute walk. T4 & 5 have bus stops on the concourse outside the terminal building (though they are under cover if its raining). Usually about a 2hr 15 min trip for about £15-£20pp. http://www.nationalexpress.com/home.aspx

Simon

• 5 months later...
Book your train in advance at a website such as: http://www.southernrailway.com/ and you'll be able to get the tickets for a cheap as £5 each

Buying them on the day will be about £30 each

Disadvantage if you have to pick a specific time, and if you're late you'll have to buy a new ticket. But could save money in the long run

This is most helpful! Thank you:)

Train can be booked about eight weeks before you travel the earlier you book the cheaper it is will cost about £10 each way if you book early gets more expensive nearer departure date.Then a ten to fifteen minute or so depending on traffic taxi ride to the port.

Trainline.com

You could also go by national express bus.

Or private transfer cost about £65 to £85 per car.

Train is really easy.

We used National Express from Gatwick to Southamption this past September. Luggage is stored underneath and the ride was pretty good for a bit of sightseeing. The National Express terminal is well located near hotels in Southampton and getting to the cruise terminal is easy (we just walked down from our hotel). If you decide to take the bus, you may want to purchase your tickets online in advance to save a bit of money. Just make sure you don't cut the schedule too close, rebooking is easy enough but it'll cost you!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Train can be booked in advance for £5 each one way if booked early enough (providing there's no engineering works ongoing which mean no direct trains). You have to book a specific train though so make sure you allow enough time incase your plane is delayed

National Express is also an option

Thanks.

Can you recommend a private car company?

Do taxicabs take credit card (from southampton train station to port)

We used Smith for Airports for transfer from Healthrow to Bournemouth last year, great service, very professional and right on time. We arranged by email before we went and called them with our credit card info. Our card wasn't charged until after our journey. We'll be using them again in April when we're in England. Enjoy your cruise. :)

Will be on the Independence of the Seas next May to Canaries. Arriving at Gatwick from Toronto, Canada. What is the best option to get to the port and back?

Will be on the same cruise as you, there is a small roll call started here, if you feel like joining in

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2331490

• 1 month later...

We are thinking of flying into Gatwick on Sun September 3 2017. Am I correct in understanding no trains from Gatwick to Southampton on a Sunday? If this is accurate is the bus an option? Is it convenient to the airport?

Thanks Sue