Papua New Guinea

deborahlynette

We arrived back yesterday, 2nd time and even better then last time.

What are your ports and do you like snorkelling or more cultural things.

We did have one of the most exciting days ever in Rabaul, we went swimming with a large pod of spinner dolphins. They also have a snorkelling tour. This was arranged privately with Rabaul Kopopo Dive based at Rapopo Plantation Resort. We also had lunch there and it was exceptional. Let me know it this is something you might like to do.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We arrived back yesterday, 2nd time and even better then last time.

What are your ports and do you like snorkelling or more cultural things.

We did have one of the most exciting days ever in Rabaul, we went swimming with a large pod of spinner dolphins. They also have a snorkelling tour. This was arranged privately with Rabaul Kopopo Dive based at Rapopo Plantation Resort. We also had lunch there and it was exceptional. Let me know it this is something you might like to do.

Our ports are Alotau, Doini Island, Kiriwini Island, Kitava, Rabaul, Guadalcanal (Soloman Island)

We like snorkelling but also like the cultural side too.

Any suggestions would be great!

We don't normally take ships tours unless they are something special or a port we are unsure about.

Both at Alotau and Rabaul there are locals waiting to take you to see the sights.

At Alotau this time just out of the gates there was a lady there from the Driftwood Resort. They were offering free transport to their resort.

The driver stopped for us at the bank to change Aussie Dollars to Kina. Then took us on the scenic drive to the Resort for Lunch and a Swim.

We had a Lobster and Mud Crab for 40k each $20A, a beautiful meal.

The driver then dropped us back in town where is is a 15 min flat walk back to the ship past the markets.

At Rabaul we did the dolphin swim 250K, $125A but snorkelling was also available 120K, $60 A. The lunch we had at the resort was excellent.

This included being picked up from the ship and returned by boat whilst enjoying a great view of the volcano and also the harbour.

Kiriwini and Kitava are both island days, both beautiful, with lots of local dancing and vendors with wooden crafts for sale. We had Lobster at both each morning, warm straight of the coals 10K to 60K.

Kitava you could also have a beer or a softdrink, and the locals were also giving canoe rides to the neighbouring island for 5K each way, well worth doing.

We went to Doini last time, it was owned by an Aussie, so beer, sausage sandwiches as well as some markets stalls and a few local tours.

The ports of PNG are amazing, the locals are so friendly and welcoming.

So many just come up to us and shook our hands and thanked us for coming.

If I can help anymore just ask.

We don't normally take ships tours unless they are something special or a port we are unsure about.

Both at Alotau and Rabaul there are locals waiting to take you to see the sights.

At Alotau this time just out of the gates there was a lady there from the Driftwood Resort. They were offering free transport to their resort.

The driver stopped for us at the bank to change Aussie Dollars to Kina. Then took us on the scenic drive to the Resort for Lunch and a Swim.

We had a Lobster and Mud Crab for 40k each $20A, a beautiful meal.

The driver then dropped us back in town where is is a 15 min flat walk back to the ship past the markets.

At Rabaul we did the dolphin swim 250K, $125A but snorkelling was also available 120K, $60 A. The lunch we had at the resort was excellent.

This included being picked up from the ship and returned by boat whilst enjoying a great view of the volcano and also the harbour.

Kiriwini and Kitava are both island days, both beautiful, with lots of local dancing and vendors with wooden crafts for sale. We had Lobster at both each morning, warm straight of the coals 10K to 60K.

Kitava you could also have a beer or a softdrink, and the locals were also giving canoe rides to the neighbouring island for 5K each way, well worth doing.

We went to Doini last time, it was owned by an Aussie, so beer, sausage sandwiches as well as some markets stalls and a few local tours.

The ports of PNG are amazing, the locals are so friendly and welcoming.

So many just come up to us and shook our hands and thanked us for coming.

If I can help anymore just ask.

Thanks for that 😃

• 2 months later...
Guest zafra63

Thanks for all the information. Great reading, we are going in November this year.

For Alotau check out Reeftours Milne Bay. https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Attraction_Review-g616352-d7181139-Reviews-Reeftours_Milne_Bay-Alotau_Papua_Region.html Maybe a little on the expensive side, but a very interesting day, if you want to see the real NG> It is run by a local girl, who is mentored by an Australian. Communication is sometimes slow, as He has the internet and she doesn't. Not a lot of power in NG when outside the main towns. We went to a school which was very interesting, particularly for the number of children we had one our tour. We were two small vans. K

Guest zafra63

Can somebody answer my question please? Can you use Aus$ there. Booked a cruise for November to PNG.

Thanks for your help.

• 4 weeks later...
Can somebody answer my question please? Can you use Aus$ there. Booked a cruise for November to PNG.

Thanks for your help.

I've read that you should take kina as it is hard for some of the nationals on the islands to change Aussie dollars into kina.