Shabadran terraces, Mare, loyalty islands

Kristal Blade

Hi everyone,

I am looking for some advice please.

We will be visiting Mare in January 2018, yes, ages away I know. But I have already started to do my research.

It looks like all the cruise ships organise a shuttle service to a beach about 15 mins from the tender dock. However I have read about a different destination, the Shabadran terraces. This requires a hike then a visit to a beautiful beach.

Has anyone done this? Know how I can arrange a guide to get me and my husband there?

Alternatively how easy is it to get to the Natural Aquarium?

Thank you in advance for any help with this,

Libby

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Libby, we were at Mare on Voyager this March. Such a truly beautiful beach. We think probably for us the only prettier place we have been is Bora Bora. As you will be on Radiance (with us[emoji1]), there will be a lot less people than we had this year. True, if you don't enjoy a day of snorkelling and lazing under the trees than this may not be for you, but we can't wait to get back there.

Hi Libby, we were at Mare on Voyager this March. Such a truly beautiful beach. We think probably for us the only prettier place we have been is Bora Bora. As you will be on Radiance (with us[emoji1]), there will be a lot less people than we had this year. True, if you don't enjoy a day of snorkelling and lazing under the trees than this may not be for you, but we can't wait to get back there.

Hi Kaytwo,

Fantastic to hear Mare is so beautiful and that you are on the cruise with us.

We loved Bora Bora on a previous cruise so Mare should make us happy too! Snorkelling on Bora Bora was magical. I was just hoping we could get to the beaches less visited but that may not be possible.

Time is ticking down to the cruise every day and it will be here before we know it! See you on board[emoji3][emoji568][emoji907]

It is a stunning island, it was definitely my favourite. The snorkeling on the organised bus shuttle was beautiful, only disappointment was the sheer number of people but that's what you get when a whole cruise ship lands and there's only one excursion!

The natural aquarium is about a 40 minute walk south of the tender spot. It's along a road the whole way, so it's not a difficult walk but you have to be careful because for the first half of the walk you'll have all the beach buses sharing the road with you before they turn off.

Shabradan terraces look amazing but it's such a big hike it's not something we've dared attempt on a single shore day.

It is a stunning island, it was definitely my favourite. The snorkeling on the organised bus shuttle was beautiful, only disappointment was the sheer number of people but that's what you get when a whole cruise ship lands and there's only one excursion!

The natural aquarium is about a 40 minute walk south of the tender spot. It's along a road the whole way, so it's not a difficult walk but you have to be careful because for the first half of the walk you'll have all the beach buses sharing the road with you before they turn off.

Shabradan terraces look amazing but it's such a big hike it's not something we've dared attempt on a single shore day.

Thanks Meamat,

The walk doesn't sound too bad, but the shuttle buses sharing the road doesn't sound so good. Maybe if we waited an hour or so before attempting it it would be quieter? But I expect it would be a fairly constant to and fro of shuttles. If we miss them in one direction we will get them on the way back!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

HI there - All transport when a cruise ship is in shuttles passengers to Yedjele Beach. Yedjele beach is pretty enough, but there are many stray dogs wandering around. The local will be selling canned drink,s coconuts, massages. There is no opportunity for any private sightseeing, nor any bicycles for hire. Apparently the contract with the ships is to take you to Yedjele beach, and back. The bus / van driver will refuse to drop you off at the Natural Aquarium coming back. You will have to walk back to the Natural Aquarium on arrival at the jetty. Going to Yedjele Beach (van or bus) sit on the right, for a better view, and also to note two minor gravel roads close to each other on the right, which are actually a large crescent for access immediately at the Natural Aquarium.

The Natural aquarium is 3 km from where the ship is berthed, back towards Yedjele Beach. There may be a sign, Aquarium Naturelle . Along the 3 km you will see some traditional huts on your left, and on the right, the memorial to the assassinated Kanak leader Yeiwene Yeiwene. The fish at the Natural Aquarium expect to be fed bread, and will come in close on the vibrations of your footsteps. Alas, the road seems to be a bit of a dumping ground, collections of dirty disposable nappies in plastic bags around the Natural Aquarium. Walking back to the cruise ship there are several opportunities for great pictures of your cruise ship 'between the palms'. Also, walking back you follow the coast closely, so many opportunities for photos on the rocks. There is no hurry to get back to the market, which primarily has sarongs made in China.