Vaccinations for Papua New Guinea, Vanuatu, New Caledonia

NDRB

Can anyone share what they have been advised to do prior to a cruise to Papua New Guinea, Vanatu, and New Caledonia?

It is quite expensive to see a travel medicine physician here (they don't accept any insurance).

Typhoid vaccinations are available at Walgreens without an Rx for $96 and Yellow Fever for $160, but there is a months' long waiting list for the Yellow Fever. I'm wondering it they are really necessary.

We may eat some food off the ship that is provided by our private tour guides.

We are OK with respect to HepA and Hep B and Tetanus and Diptheria.

Are prophylactic malarial medications advised?

Thank you so much!

Nina.

We have been on 2 cruises to PNG and probably 12 others to the South Pacific and do nothing.

We eat locally at all the ports with no problems. The food we had there at the resorts was as good as we would have in any very good restaurant at home. We had lobsters on the beach at Kitava and Kiriwini Islands where they are served straight from the grill. The local fruit is really good.

We travel at lot and never worry about malaria either but do cover up with long sleeve shirts to take repellent.

If you need some help with things to do let me know your ports and what you want to do.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi, Peter- thanks for your note!

We will be visiting Alotau, Kirwina Island, Rabaul, Luganville, Port Vila, and Noumea...

I appreciate your offer to help- I think we have lined up our tours everywhere but Kirwina Island ( no real tours offered there) and Alotau ( we would rather just visit the beach and historical sites, but all the tours seem to visit schools and hospitals).

Nina

Hi Nina,

Sounds like a great cruise. At Alotau as you walk through the port gates there is a lady there from Driftwater Resort who offer free transport to their resort about 10 mins away. We had a swim and a seafood lunch and they dropped us back into town, where it is a short 20 min flat walk back to the ship past the Milne Bay Monument, there are also market stalls.

There is also a new Waterfront Bar set up next to the wharf with lunches, drinks and some local entertainment.

Kiriwini is a nice beach day.

If you hadn't made arrangements for Rabaul the Swimming with Dolphins through Rapopo Plantation Resort would have to been one of the best experiences our family have e really had.

We love Lugunville also a beautiful paradise we went there last year in July for a week came straight home and went back for a Christmas.

I hope you have a great cruise.

Thank you again for your insights, Peter.

Does the Driftwood Resort in Alotau have good snorkelling right off their beach? I assume they provide this service in the hopes you will rent their lounge chairs and spend plenty on food and drink? Do they return you to the ship/town as soon as you are ready to go? Did you feel safe walking back to the ship from town?.

On Kirwina Island, is there a good beach within walking distance or do you need to arrange transportation?

Nina

Our first cruise to PNG was in November 2013 and our 2nd in March 2017 and I feel they are still finding there way with cruise ship tourists.

We didn't snorkel at Driftwood but they did have a tour available, some others on our ship went on one of there fishing charters.

No renting lounge chairs, just relaxing on their jetty with a couple of drinks and lunch. We had Lobster and Mud Crab for $25 each which was good value. There were only 3 other groups there and we just got them to take us back at about 1pm and had a look around the shops.

We feel perfectly safe there. My 16 year old daughter has CP and uses a wheelchair so they were fascinated by her. We stopped off at the Waterfront Bar and she was carried up the stairs in her chair.

Kiriwini is a tender stop and there is good snorkelling right where you get off.