Rental Car Return Port Canaveral

NouCruzer

Hello All,

For our Nov 5 cruise on Oasis, we are planning to do a one way car Alamo rental from MCO and spend a day beforehand visiting the Kennedy Space Center. Never embarked from Port Canaveral and I have a few questions regarding the travel and car return.

First, is cash accepted at the toll booths on Rte 528, or will we need to arrange to get a SunPass? If so, I assume that this can be arranged through Alamo, but are there better options?

Second, is there a shuttle from the rental return on Mullet Rd to Terminal 1 or is it feasible to walk? Are there walkways on Mullet Rd? Or is a shuttle just more convenient and safe?

Thanks for your help.

The main Enterprise-National-Alamo building is closest to the terminals just to west of the Exploration Tower at the Terminal B complex. If someone can watch your luggage at B1 while you return/pick the vehicle, you can easily and safely walk to the building from terminal B1 – it is only 0.5 miles along a flat road!

Enterprise Plus, National Emerald Club and Alamo Insider services are available but you must stop at the counter and show your driver’s license to get your preprinted contract and keys.

After Hours drop-off is available.

Shuttles run non-stop to the terminals and back.

Enterprise-National-Alamo2.jpg

528 main line toll booths have cash lanes ... but PAY ATTENTION ... to some the cash lanes look like an exit. SUNPASS lanes go straight thru "at speed" to pay cash you take a split off to the right ... here there are exact change lanes, and attended.

ALAMO has a 'reasonable fee' ($4 per day) to handle your cashless tolls. There is nothing to agree to up front. If you go thru an electronic toll you kick in the daily charge and for the next 24 hours the tolls will be passed on to you plus the daily charge. This is among the BEST rental car deal out there right now ... https://www.sunpass.com/rentalcar {some charge $5 PER TOLL if you make a booboo}

Edited by Capt_BJ

... ALAMO has a 'reasonable fee' ($4 per day) to handle your cashless tolls. There is nothing to agree to up front. If you go thru an electronic toll you kick in the daily charge and for the next 24 hours the tolls will be passed on to you plus the daily charge. This is among the BEST rental car deal out there right now ... https://www.sunpass.com/rentalcar {some charge $5 PER TOLL if you make a booboo}

I don't know if Alamo is like Avis, but Avis charges the "convenience fee" for every day of the rental, even if the toll device is used only one day of the rental.

I am just beginning our research on how we want to fly into MCO and get to Port Canaveral..

we are 5 people so a transfer is expensive as they do per person. we will have luggage too. I looked into getting a car at MCO and then dropping of at the port and then picking one up again.

I noticed that for a 3 day rental in MCO is was only 70 a day... but drop off port was 150 a day!!! Insane usually that do a flat rate drop off if you do state to state ( 300 as we did Pick up IAD and drop off MCO)..

so I am wondering do car companies jack rates up if you have port drop off?? I am thinking many are looking at this as a option... cheaper is almost doing a snooze and cruise hotel deal and keeping the car with a weekly rental.. any ideas?

I don't know if Alamo is like Avis, but Avis charges the "convenience fee" for every day of the rental, even if the toll device is used only one day of the rental.

that's why I mention ALAMO (and National and Enterprise which are all one company) as having a better deal. They charge by the day .... see https://www.sunpass.com/rentalcar

no up front commitment

go thru a toll and the $5 fee is assigned to cover you for 24 hours

btw .... some other rental companies would charge you $25 for this boo boo and another $25 for the next infraction ... even if the same day ....

Hi, could I ask how much you are paying for the one way rental. We are flying into MCO in july and renting one way and doing the same as a return, renting in Cocoa and returning to MCO. We are playing 145 for both days from Budget.

As far as the tolls, you can do cash at each one. Just be sure to veer to the right (Looks like an exit) to pay the cash.

Lori

Hi, could I ask how much you are paying for the one way rental. ...

We just did a one-way rental from MCO to Cocoa Beach using Avis. Cost was around $60 plus gas for a mid-size SUV.

Hi, could I ask how much you are paying for the one way rental. We are flying into MCO in july and renting one way and doing the same as a return, renting in Cocoa and returning to MCO. We are playing 145 for both days from Budget.

Lori

Our Alamo rental for 2 consecutive days was about $80 per day for midsize.

• 2 weeks later...

We're flying into MCO the day before our cruise next month. There are 5 of us so we were able to get a mini van for one day for $118 (after taxes, fees, and car seat fee - it would have been around $100 without the car seat) through Dollar rental. Our flight comes in way earlier than we'd be able to check into our hotel in Cocoa Beach, so we'll do some exploring and shopping for things we didn't pack (wine, soda, etc.). The plan is for DH to return the van early the next morning and walk back to the hotel (less than a mile) and take the port shuttle at the hotel. Dollar doesn't offer a port shuttle. Dollar was the best price on the size vehicle we needed.

For our return we fly out the same day, so we arranged for transportation trough Cortrans for $100 for all 5 of us.

We're flying into MCO the day before our cruise next month. There are 5 of us so we were able to get a mini van for one day for $118 (after taxes, fees, and car seat fee - it would have been around $100 without the car seat) through Dollar rental. Our flight comes in way earlier than we'd be able to check into our hotel in Cocoa Beach, so we'll do some exploring and shopping for things we didn't pack (wine, soda, etc.). The plan is for DH to return the van early the next morning and walk back to the hotel (less than a mile) and take the port shuttle at the hotel. Dollar doesn't offer a port shuttle. Dollar was the best price on the size vehicle we needed.

For our return we fly out the same day, so we arranged for transportation trough Cortrans for $100 for all 5 of us.

Just an FYI - Dollar DOES offer free shuttles to the Port. Here is picture of the shuttle:

Dollar-Thrifty-Web.jpg?w=432

Just an FYI - Dollar DOES offer free shuttles to the Port. Here is picture of the shuttle:

Dollar-Thrifty-Web.jpg?w=432

Yes, I do remember this now! We went back and forth about taking the rental shuttle or the hotel shuttle. For ease of traveling with a child and my older parents, we chose to only load the luggage once at the hotel. But now I'm rethinking it to save the $25 for the 5 of us to take the hotel shuttle. I'm trying to call the rental office to see how often they run over to the port...maybe that will help make up my mind. I think this may be the only thing I'm stressed over for the whole cruise. Getting my family and all their luggage from the hotel to the port.

Yes, I do remember this now! We went back and forth about taking the rental shuttle or the hotel shuttle. For ease of traveling with a child and my older parents, we chose to only load the luggage once at the hotel. But now I'm rethinking it to save the $25 for the 5 of us to take the hotel shuttle. I'm trying to call the rental office to see how often they run over to the port...maybe that will help make up my mind. I think this may be the only thing I'm stressed over for the whole cruise. Getting my family and all their luggage from the hotel to the port.

Husband can drive you all to the port and drop. Then he alone returns the van to the rental place and take the shuttle back to meet up with you.

The shuttles run non-stop in the mornings. They fill up and go! So no worries and it is only a 10-15 minute drive anyways so you will not wait long for him!

We are renting Alamo from Orlando to PC but are still considering how we will get from PC back to MCO after the cruise. I've heard that the lines to get rental cars can be long if you don't get there early. Can anyone validate what I've heard or let me know if that just isn't the case?