Travel Insurance Coverage

tlatrice

My TA is offering the following coverage. Can you guys tell me if it's good or should I shop for better coverage.

Up to 100% of your trip cost if you need to cancel due to illness, injury or other covered reasons✓ Up to 100% of your trip cost if you need to start late or come home early due to illness, injury or other covered reasons✓ Up to $1,000 for covered trip delays✓ Up to $1,000 for missed flight connections✓ Up to $1,500 for lost, stolen or damaged baggage✓ Up to $500 for necessary replacement items if your bags are delayed✓ Up to $50,000 for covered medical expenses if you get injured or ill on vacation✓ Up to $50,000 for a covered emergency medical evacuation

Thanks!!!

My TA is offering the following coverage. Can you guys tell me if it's good or should I shop for better coverage.

Up to 100% of your trip cost if you need to cancel due to illness, injury or other covered reasons✓ Up to 100% of your trip cost if you need to start late or come home early due to illness, injury or other covered reasons✓ Up to $1,000 for covered trip delays✓ Up to $1,000 for missed flight connections✓ Up to $1,500 for lost, stolen or damaged baggage✓ Up to $500 for necessary replacement items if your bags are delayed✓ Up to $50,000 for covered medical expenses if you get injured or ill on vacation✓ Up to $50,000 for a covered emergency medical evacuation

Thanks!!!

Is this a perk your TA is giving you or are you paying for it?

If you are paying I would suggest you to go www.insuremytrip.com and compare prices. Many times you can get better coverage, for less money, especially what the cruiseline offers.

Happy Sailing!!!

Thanks!!!

• What is the Insurance Company ? Some are better than others when it comes to processing claims.
  • Do you have any pre-existing medical conditions in which case the insurance would have to be purchased within a specified period of time ( usually 10-14 depending on the insurance company) to have a pre-existing waiver included ?

You can compare companies, policies and benefit on the following websites:

http://www.insuremytrip.com

http://www.squaremouth.com

http://www.quotewright.com

Edited by xxoocruiser

After learning about them here on Cruise Critic, I bought our cruise insurance from Steve at http://www.TripInsuranceStore.com.

They basically only recommend 6 companies and have "weeded out" all the tons of undesirable options that get thrown at you on some other sites.

Steve Dasseos

http://www.TripInsuranceStore.com

1-888-407-3854 (toll free)

816-282-6858 (local)

Mon - Fri: 8:30 am - 7 pm ET

Saturday: 11 am - 4 pm

Sunday: 2 - 4 pm

Tell him specfically what you are most interested in based on your conditions and he will make a recommendation. (that was my favorite part)

I did a price comparison and used the exact same parameters for rate checking at the TripInsuranceStore, InsureMyTrip and directly with my insurance of choice, CSA.

The TripInsuranceStore's quote came up $50 more pp than it should have been. Both the quotes from InsureMyTrip and CSA were $50 less and the same rate. I guess Steve charges for his services instead of (or on top of) receiving a commission from the various trip insurance companies.:rolleyes:

Also, there is a serious typo of wrong information concerning what is covered, and when, with the CSA policies. Best to double check facts and figures before purchasing. ;)

I did a price comparison and used the exact same parameters for rate checking at the TripInsuranceStore, InsureMyTrip and directly with my insurance of choice, CSA.

The TripInsuranceStore's quote came up $50 more pp than it should have been. Both the quotes from InsureMyTrip and CSA were $50 less and the same rate. I guess Steve charges for his services instead of (or on top of) receiving a commission from the various trip insurance companies.:rolleyes:

Also, there is a serious typo of wrong information concerning what is covered, and when, with the CSA policies. Best to double check facts and figures before purchasing. ;)

Agree. I would double check and make sure you are comparing apples to apples. I know switching between different products (i.e. Freestyle vs Freestyle Luxe) can have a big impact on the price. Also, you may want to call or e-mail and make sure that info was correct.

I went with the TravelSafe Classic for my needs and it was $68 pp which I though was a very good price. For one of my cruises it is like $51 pp being that the cruise costs less.

We always purchase CSA Luxe for our needs. I was rate checking for our upcoming 11 night cruise. ;) TripInsuranceStore was definitely more.

I just checked my plan through insuremytrip and it was the exact same price I paid ($136). The CSA Custom Luxe would have been $175 for my trip through insuremytrip whereas tripinsurancestore.com is showing me $186 so I am not sure why the $11 difference being that the other plan is the exact same.

Again, I am happy with the price and service I received and $5.50 pp is neglible to me if that were there difference in mine. (although it was not) :)

Thanks!!!

Some of the benefits are paying out more; the emergency evacuation is so-so, and the interruption benefit is generous. If you are getting this for free, I'd take it. If paying, I agree to shop around.

If you do get it for free, then I would also bump up the medical evacuation by buying a separate policy from either MedAssist or AirMed. We have an annual policy for AirMed because we had/have a lot of travel going on in 2014 and 2015. First, though, check your current health insurance policy for what's already covered. It will pay first, and then the other travel policies will be secondary.

I just checked my plan through insuremytrip and it was the exact same price I paid ($136). The CSA Custom Luxe would have been $175 for my trip through insuremytrip whereas tripinsurancestore.com is showing me $186 so I am not sure why the $11 difference being that the other plan is the exact same.

Again, I am happy with the price and service I received and $5.50 pp is neglible to me if that were there difference in mine. (although it was not) :)

Correction: (since CC is not letting me edit my original message for some reason)

The tripinsurancestore.com does show $243 for the CSA Freestyle Luxe which is a completely different plan than CSA Custom Luxe. (not apple to apples)

And, tripinsurancestore.com doesn't charge extra as that's against the law I found out.

Here's where they have the CSA Custom plans though:

http://flexibletravelinsurance.com/csa-custom-travel-insurance-plans-detailed-description-page/

Iamthesea, that will give you a chance to compare to what you were looking at on other sites.

Personally, I think the CSA plans are not as good as the TravelSafe plan I bought but to each their own. ;)

I have no dog in this hunt and am just trying to share my good experience with tripinsurancestore.com which I found by a testimonial from someone here on CC. :)

CSA Freestyle Luxe which is a completely different plan than CSA Custom Luxe

I was under the impression that the CSA Freestyle Luxe and CSA Custom Luxe were one in the same with a simple name change of the program. Basically the same coverage, though Custom Luxe also has higher limits on the medical and emergency evacuation versus the Lifestyle.

Freestyle is sold by travel agents, while Custom is sold by CSA themselves, plus a few comparison sites like insuremytrip, Squaremouth, Quotewright. The CSA website does not even mention a "Freestyle" anything. :rolleyes:

Personally, I think the CSA plans are not as good as the TravelSafe plan I bought but to each their own

The CSA Luxe is the best policy for us because we have pre-existing conditions, my husband is over 62, and we do not buy the plans until we make FINAL payment. All the above drive the cost up a bit. Did I mention that we are taking an 11 night cruise? Well worth the extra. If we bought the policy at the initial payment, and then cancelled, we would not get the insurance money back.

Just for fun, I went back to TripInsuranceStore.com (Freestyle/Freestyle Luxe) and CSA's website (Custom/Custom Luxe) to check the rates for my husband, only. The following is what I came up with.

Freestyle - $194 Freestyle Luxe - $279 :eek:

Custom - N/A Custom Luxe - $199

I think we will stick with CSA and their Custom Luxe. Spending $5 is worth the extra that we will receive in coverage, too!

From one Tennessean to another...have a good cruise! :)

OP - Hope we have not confused you. If you are cruising to the Caribbean, the TA deal may be fine as long as you do not have any pre-existing conditions. Check with them to see if they are covered, as well. If you are cruising to Europe, etc., I do think it best if you book your insurance yourself, and not through a TA or the cruiseline. ;)

Edited by Iamthesea

The biggest difference in coverages between the Freestyle and Custom plans is:

If you need coverage for pre-existing medical conditions your choices are:

1) Custom Luxe (no pre-ex coverage in regular Custom plan), or

2) Freestyle (regular) or Freestyle Luxe. Both have the pre-ex coverage.

Unless there's some drastic need for the higher benefit amounts of the Luxe versions of either plan, I think the regular Freestyle plan (inc. the pre-ex coverage) is a smart choice for most.

I cannot comment on the Ins. plans mentioned, however I will tell you my own experience.

I bought the Cunard care Ins. ( I was travelling on QM2. the policy was supposed to cover, TRIP interruption , Medical costs if I became ill on board, REPAT back to USA

10 days into cruise Oct 5 , going down hallway dressed up for evening, I had a stroke ( was travelling solo) Taken to Medical centre on ship , checked out by doctor, and off loaded ashore in Belgium to hospital. I had no use of my left leg, arm or hand, face drooped and speech slurred

Cost of care on ship was billed to my creditcard almost $3,000 , Oct 6th , as I found out later when I received credit card statement.

Hospital . no one spoke English, never saw doctor for 4 days, no tests given. there for 6 days never once never had a cooked meal.

Hospital. made me pay the bill before letting me leave

6th day An American nurse arrived and rescued me, trip home was excellent, it lasted 13 hours but Korry my nurse was an angel, and I was most comfortable.

Trouble has arisen though with Ins paying costs. I did not get any report from ships doctor at time I was off loaded (this is essential to obtain before you leave Medical Centre.

So I have filled in masses of forms, sent them to Ins TWICE, but have not received one cent for the 11 days I was not on ship, and not one cent for the $3,000 I had to pay for medical treatment.

So if you are unfortunate enough to become ill, get documentation BEFORE the ship off loads you, then at home , take copies of all forms before sending them to Ins. and send them with "receipt required" so you have proof of when they are received by Ins company.

One staffer actually told me I should have made efforts to remain on the ship and continue the cruise !!!!!! 'NUFF SAID.

The fight continues.

Jimsgirl - My heart breaks for you. Thank you for telling your story. ;)

The biggest difference in coverages between the Freestyle and Custom plans is:

If you need coverage for pre-existing medical conditions your choices are:

1) Custom Luxe (no pre-ex coverage in regular Custom plan), or

2) Freestyle (regular) or Freestyle Luxe. Both have the pre-ex coverage.

Unless there's some drastic need for the higher benefit amounts of the Luxe versions of either plan, I think the regular Freestyle plan (inc. the pre-ex coverage) is a smart choice for most.

After reading many horror stories, such as Jimsgirl's, we want to have the best coverage possible for the unknown.

When we travel to Europe, Mexico, Costa Rica or South America, (as this upcoming cruise covers), we purchase something that offers more emergency evacuation and medical. When we travel to the Bahamas, or on a closed loop Caribbean cruise, the Freestyle coverage would be fine to purchase. In the past, for these type of cruises, we have taken advantage of a good insurance rate, through our then TA.

Again, the Custom plan is what is offered if one is booking cruise and buying insurance on their own. The Freestyle plan is offered through a travel agent. We did not book through a TA for our upcoming cruises.. ;)

It seems that we have either overwhelmed the OP, or she is simply not coming back to check her thread. :D Either way, I think I will leave it to her. :)

Edited by Iamthesea

You have not said where you are traveling to so it might affect my answer. However, to me, the only important coverages are the medical coverage and the evacuation and they are way too low. I do not regard the rest of the coverages as important as I self insure for them.

DON

Update on previous info.

It has been 5 weeks since I submitted my claim for trip interruption to Berkely Care the insurance I purchased from Cunard .

I simply cannot get a straight answer from this company. I have written proof they received my claim forms -yet two days after the date of that letter, a staffer told me they had not received any claim!.

Then they told my daughter the claim had to be sent to Medicare!!!!!. Which of course anyone in the USA would know was incorrect.

Yesterday it was "send to Supplemental Ins" though speaker admitted Trip interruption was nothing to do with my Supplemental Ins.

Then it was "we have not yet begun to process your claim, it takes 3 weeks," There was silence when I pointed out the claim was filed FIVE weeks ago.

Whenever I speak with them, I get the impression they think I am trying a scam , that even -IF- maybe - I did have a problem, I could have continued the cruise! This even though they have written reports from 3 doctors!

Thankfully my repat to USA was handled by CALL INTERNATIONAL (Salem NH) who were excellent, they notified my daughter, arranged for my flight home with a nurse, and delivered me direct to local hospital in my home town.

I will post again WHEN Berkely Care finally pay my claim.

Update on previous info.

It has been 5 weeks since I submitted my claim for trip interruption to Berkely Care the insurance I purchased from Cunard .

I simply cannot get a straight answer from this company. I have written proof they received my claim forms -yet two days after the date of that letter, a staffer told me they had not received any claim!.

Then they told my daughter the claim had to be sent to Medicare!!!!!. Which of course anyone in the USA would know was incorrect.

Yesterday it was "send to Supplemental Ins" though speaker admitted Trip interruption was nothing to do with my Supplemental Ins.

Then it was "we have not yet begun to process your claim, it takes 3 weeks," There was silence when I pointed out the claim was filed FIVE weeks ago.

Whenever I speak with them, I get the impression they think I am trying a scam , that even -IF- maybe - I did have a problem, I could have continued the cruise! This even though they have written reports from 3 doctors!

Thankfully my repat to USA was handled by CALL INTERNATIONAL (Salem NH) who were excellent, they notified my daughter, arranged for my flight home with a nurse, and delivered me direct to local hospital in my home town.

I will post again WHEN Berkely Care finally pay my claim.

Be aware that it is common practice with any claims that are related to a medical emergency to have the primary insurance company (Medicare) AND the secondary (Supplemental) billed and processed first before any third policy will pay. Even if the claim is denied by Medicare and Supplemental, the third policy (Berkely) has to have this in writing before they will pay.

Be aware that it is common practice with any claims that are related to a medical emergency to have the primary insurance company (Medicare) AND the secondary (Supplemental) billed and processed first before any third policy will pay. Even if the claim is denied by Medicare and Supplemental, the third policy (Berkely) has to have this in writing before they will pay.

My phone call was for the refund of cost of the 11 days I did not "cruise" in other words TRIP INTERUPTION, this has nothing whatsoever to do with Medicare or my Suppl. Ins, these cover MEDICAL costs only and only in the USA.

I have been asked by Berkely CARE ,STAFF "why did you not continue the cruise,? " and "what steps did you take to rejoin the cruise?" this after 3 reports in writing from doctors that I had suffered a stroke, that I could not stand or walk, use my left hand or arm, had a face that drooped on one side and slurred speech and had been sent to a foreign hospital by the Cunard doctor i/c Medical centre on board.

My phone call was for the refund of cost of the 11 days I did not "cruise" in other words TRIP INTERUPTION, this has nothing whatsoever to do with Medicare or my Suppl. Ins, these cover MEDICAL costs only and only in the USA.

I have been asked by Berkely CARE ,STAFF "why did you not continue the cruise,? " and "what steps did you take to rejoin the cruise?" this after 3 reports in writing from doctors that I had suffered a stroke, that I could not stand or walk, use my left hand or arm, had a face that drooped on one side and slurred speech and had been sent to a foreign hospital by the Cunard doctor i/c Medical centre on board.

I am so sorry this happened to you, and I know it's very frustrating to be dealing with insurance company crap while you are trying to recuperate.

Let me explain a little more. CruiseCare has several parts to it's coverage, and one part includes medical reimbursement. What they do is make one lump sum payment for all parts of the policy at one time. This means they look at all the coverage, determine their liability, and make a payment.

You are only interested in the interruption portion of the policy, but they must review the whole policy to make their determination. That's where it gets frustrating, because they won't pay anything until they've determined EVERYTHING.

That's why they want the Explanation of Benefits (EOB's) from both Medicare and Supplemental. They know they need to pay you for the interruption of your trip, but they won't until they've looked at all parts of the policy. You "had been sent to a foreign hospital by the Cunard doctor i/c Medical centre on board" (to quote you), and that's where they are triggered to look at the medical part of the CruiseCare policy. If Medicare and Supplemental won't cover you, Berkely needs to see the denials in writing.

So, once you get those (non) payments made by your medical insurance providers (the EOB's), send them to Berkely, and then they can finish considering their liability according to the medical portion of your CruiseCare policy, and pay whatever is due to you for the WHOLE policy.

They aren't scamming you: it's how they determine their liability according to ALL the benefits in your CruiseCare policy.

I hope I've been able to help you. My Mom had a serious stroke, so I have witnessed what a challenge it is.

Good luck!

Edited by pcur

I thank you for your explanation, but , I just do not understand Berkely Care logic.

EVERYONE in USA knows that Medicare covers Medical costs ONLY if the treatment is given in the USA in USA, ( and that even in USA it is MEDICAL COSTS ONLY, no other event -such as not being able to take a trip - or continue a trip , so Berkeley Care is fully aware that even my costs for the ship or hospital in foreign country will not be covered by Medicare since they took place OUTSIDE USA.

Supplemental will pay the 20% ONLY AFTER Medicare pays the 80% of that which they think is correct, so -NO MEDICARE PAYMENT -,NO SUPPLEMENTAL Payment.

So knowing this, the requirement for letters from Medicare or Supplemental is simply superfluity on their part, just another road block, to delay payment whilst they try to think of some reason not to pay as per contract.

Just like the questions "why did you not rejoin the cruise later" and "what efforts did you make to rejoin the cruise".

What do they think I should have done? Leave the hospital even though I could not walk or stand or talk, and hire a fishing boat to chase after the QM2, as she made her transatlantic crossing from Europe to New York????????

There can be no excuses for this company's delaying tactics.

If it helps any, it really is not a delay tactic, they are not picking on you alone and this is a standard procedure for every secondary coverage insurance. It is required of everyone who uses cruiseline insurance and has Medicare. I am sorry you did not know this earlier about trip insurance, and perhaps others will consider your experience and decide if it is something they wish to take into account when they choose an insurance provider.

Berkley must have a written denial from Medicare; something that would be legal proof of denial. Just because everyone "knows" it will be denied is not sufficient. While it is frustrating to have to deal with this among your other issues, it is just paperwork and it will be processed.

Along the same lines, the questions which seem rather silly to you still must be answered, by you in writing, on your claim forms. A short answer such as "I did not attempt to rejoin the cruise because I was still hospitalized and under medical care" is sufficient. These are standard forms with specific questions for specific coverages.

In the future, you may want to look into primary pay trip insurance; it does not require filing with your other medical coverage first.

Edited by cherylandtk

Well Said. I had to go thru the same routine when I had a medical claim. Knew that Medicare would not pay but had to get their denial in order to submit the claim. Just means you have to wait about 3 weeks more for them to send the denial. Sorry, but I'm sure all of the insurance companies are the same unless you take the primary coverage as explained above.