Enchantment VS Explorer to Bermuda

I really want to cruise again to Bermuda, but am having trouble deciding between Enchantment and Explorer. I last went on NCL Majesty. Which do you recommend and why? Which port is easier, and which airport? Will be flying in from Ohio. Any comparisons and information would be greatly appreciated!!!! :D

I really want to cruise again to Bermuda, but am having trouble deciding between Enchantment and Explorer. I last went on NCL Majesty. Which do you recommend and why? Which port is easier, and which airport? Will be flying in from Ohio. Any comparisons and information would be greatly appreciated!!!! :D

First you need to decide on what ship you would like to cruise on. The Explorer is larger than Enchantment.

I have cruised out of both Cape Liberty and Baltimore and do prefer Baltimore.

Disclaimer here The company I work for handles RCCL in both places and I received a little extra treatment at both ports and I live in Baltimore

BWI Airport is about a 15 minute ride to port and there are several hotels around airport that provide shuttle service to the ship. Also you are about 5 minutes from the Inner Harbor in Baltimore.

Cape Liberty is about 20 minutes from the airport. I am not sure about hotels in the area. The terminal is at the old military base in Bayonne and there is not a lot to do near there. You could always cross the river and visit New York.

I guess it really comes down to personal preferences

I've been on explorer twice - once to canada and once to Bermuda (both out of Bayonne) and on Enchantment once to the caribbean. Also left from Baltimore on Grandeur once.

Explorer is larger and has the promenade and other perks that the Enchantment does not. But the enchantment has some features explorer does not (such as the bungee jumping things, but they seem to be closed more often than not in my experience). Also, since enchantment was enlarged some areas were not expanded, like the dance club/disco - it seems too small/crowded for the ship's overall size (again IMHO).

Baltimore is definitely easier to leave from. There are no hotels close to the Bayonne port and it's a pain in the rear (IMHO). However, you could go to the statue of liberty or do something in NYC if you come in early to Bayonne. BWI is also easier in my opinion. There are lots of hotels near the airport - you can prb score a hotel on priceline pretty inexpensively and it's likely they'll pick you up from the airport.

Where in Ohio? You might save money just driving to BWI - many hotels do a park and fly deal.

I agree with Tonyo...Pick a ship. If lots of bells and whistles are important to you, then it's Explorer out of Bayonne, hands down. If you don't need an ice skating rink, and floating shopping mall (aka Royal Promennade) then I'd go with Enchantment from Baltimore.

IMO, Baltimore is so much easier to sail from. Airport is close by, the downtown "Inner Harbor" has great shops, restaurants and hotels and is only 10 minutes from the pier. Plus, you're closer to Bermuda in the first place.

We're sailing on Explorer next year, and while I'm looking forward to the cruise, I'm dreading going to Bayonne.

I've been on explorer twice - once to canada and once to Bermuda (both out of Bayonne) and on Enchantment once to the caribbean. Also left from Baltimore on Grandeur once.

Explorer is larger and has the promenade and other perks that the Enchantment does not. But the enchantment has some features explorer does not (such as the bungee jumping things, but they seem to be closed more often than not in my experience). Also, since enchantment was enlarged some areas were not expanded, like the dance club/disco - it seems too small/crowded for the ship's overall size (again IMHO).

Baltimore is definitely easier to leave from. There are no hotels close to the Bayonne port and it's a pain in the rear (IMHO). However, you could go to the statue of liberty or do something in NYC if you come in early to Bayonne. BWI is also easier in my opinion. There are lots of hotels near the airport - you can prb score a hotel on priceline pretty inexpensively and it's likely they'll pick you up from the airport.

Where in Ohio? You might save money just driving to BWI - many hotels do a park and fly deal.

Thanks for all of your info. I live in Southern Ohio and really wouldn't want to drive. There are usually pretty good deals from Columbus to BWI. I have cousins in the area, and flew there for Easter this year for $49.00 each way!!!!

Can you just take a cab from BWI to the port? If so, anyone know approximately how much?

I haven't sailed on Enchantment (or out of Baltimore) but I've done the Explorer cruise out of Cape Liberty to Bermuda and had no problems at all - would definitely recommend. You'd want to fly into Newark (EWR) which is only about 20 minutes (with no major traffic issues) from the port. The sailaway is quite an experience. You have the Manhattan skyline and Statue of Liberty right in front of you and you sail under the Verrazano Bridge with little room to spare which is pretty cool as well. As others have said the ships have their differences but I personally prefer the Voyager class over the Vision class. Either way, you really can't go wrong!

Thanks for all of your info. I live in Southern Ohio and really wouldn't want to drive. There are usually pretty good deals from Columbus to BWI. I have cousins in the area, and flew there for Easter this year for $49.00 each way!!!!

Can you just take a cab from BWI to the port? If so, anyone know approximately how much?

I'm sure cabs are readily available from BWI. I don't know the cost. You may want to check the East Coast Departure Ports board for more info, if you don't get an answer on this thread.

You may also want to check which ships are in Bermuda during the dates your looking at for each ship. If the Explorer or Enchantment are there while no other ships are in dock, that would make the dock area, buses, and beaches a little less crowded. Not sure if you care, but it's worth noting.

I think Bermuda provides that information on one of their government sites.

Thanks everyone for your quick replies!!!! Still not an easy decision, lol!!!! I have only been on smaller RCCL ships, Monarch and Grandeur, and have loved them. But definitley would like to try one of the larger classes. Airfare will definitely be better to BWI. Decisions, decisions :confused:

:cool:Living in Philadelphia (in middle between two), it was no decision for me and my May 28th, 2011 cruise to Bermuda. BALTIMORE all the way. Easy in and easy out. Have sailed from both, but Baltimore is much easier. Airport is 20 min driving time to port. I would go in day early, but up to you. Been on Enchantment twice, and great ship:cool:

Another thing to consider is Enchantment arrives in Bermuda at 10, leaves at 2 the next day. Explorer arrives in Bermuda at 9, leaves at 5 the next day. A few hours may not seem like much, but it gives you more beach time, or more time to get around if you decide to do a tour on the second day.

Explorer is a great ship!

Thanks everyone for your quick replies!!!! Still not an easy decision, lol!!!! I have only been on smaller RCCL ships, Monarch and Grandeur, and have loved them. But definitley would like to try one of the larger classes. Airfare will definitely be better to BWI. Decisions, decisions :confused:

We sailed out of Bayonne on Explorer countless times to Bermuda, once to Canada and going again on her to Caribbean in 2 months. We also sailed on Empress of the Seas, one of the smallest ships.

I love the big ship experience. Explorer is great size, not too big as Oasis, but not too small as Enchantment. I think you'll find yourself right at home.

I think the ship and cruise is 95% of your total vacation experience. I would not book based on port, but rather based on ship and destination. :)

Dw and I love RCI and wanted to replicate our 1990 7 day cruise to Bermuda on the Nordic Prince, one of RCCL's original 5 ships.

We were very disappointed that RCI no longer does 7 day cruises to Bermuda.

We started researching and discovered that for just a little more than RCI charges for 5 nights we could get a 7 night cruise to Bermuda on HAL's Veendam out of New York. This gives you 3.5 days in Bermuda with 2.5 docked right at Hamilton as opposed to being all the way out in the Dockyards.

Admittedly Veendam is a midsized ship and does not have the bells and whistles of the RCI ships. But you will only really spend 1 day down and 1.5 days back at sea on the ship. The rest of the time you should be lying in the pink sands.

The HAL demographics are more middle aged and families on this cruise than one might see on their longer voyages.

Just something to consider.

RCI loyalists, perhaps you can get RCI to bring back those 7 day cruises

somehow.

We have been on both ships and Id take the Explorer in a second. I know what you mean about airfare being a big point in your decision. Can you fly into Allentown Pa ( lehigh vallery - abe ) if you can, the port is about a 1 hr drive from there

Thanks so much for all of your info and suggestions!!!! Still haven't decided for sure. I did look at HAL also, just not sure if they would be a good fit for us. We are an active couple, early 40's. But the 7 day is definitley the benefit there. My first cruise to Bermuda was a 7 day on NCL and I loved it!!!! Plus, I bought a next cruise certificate on the Grandeur last month :D

We are debating these 2 ships for their Caribbean cruises in April. We have been on Enchantment twice and enjoyed her and have been on both Navigator and Mariner and love them as well. Living in NJ we could easily drive to either port, with Bayonne being only 45 minutes from home. Explorer is 2 days longer and quite a bit more expensive, but trying to decide if it would be worth it as they stop in Bermuda rather than Pt. Canaveral.

Guess we'll have to decide by the time we get on Radiance in December!

Those were the two cruises I was deciding between. All I had to say was "rock climbing wall" and I couldn't convince my family to go on "boring" HAL--even though it meant TWO days more of vacation! :rolleyes: In retrospect, there's a rock climbing center nearby my house; I could have just brought the kids there and then taken the 7-day! :p BUT, as someone previously mentioned, the SHIP experience is really the biggest part of the vacation, and I'd rather have a "fun-filled" 5 days than being stuck on a "small" boat with not much to do for 7 days. (I do not recall the boat, but my husband and I took a 10-day on Princess 5 years ago, and we were SO "over it" by the end of the trip!) So, in deciding between Bayonne, Baltimore...and possibly now NY, ;) I agree with the advice to think about the ship more than the port.

Dw and I love RCI and wanted to replicate our 1990 7 day cruise to Bermuda on the Nordic Prince, one of RCCL's original 5 ships.

We were very disappointed that RCI no longer does 7 day cruises to Bermuda.

We started researching and discovered that for just a little more than RCI charges for 5 nights we could get a 7 night cruise to Bermuda on HAL's Veendam out of New York. This gives you 3.5 days in Bermuda with 2.5 docked right at Hamilton as opposed to being all the way out in the Dockyards.

Admittedly Veendam is a midsized ship and does not have the bells and whistles of the RCI ships. But you will only really spend 1 day down and 1.5 days back at sea on the ship. The rest of the time you should be lying in the pink sands.

The HAL demographics are more middle aged and families on this cruise than one might see on their longer voyages.

Just something to consider.

RCI loyalists, perhaps you can get RCI to bring back those 7 day cruises

somehow.

We live outside Philadelphia and for us back in 2007 the trip consisted of Sunday to Friday on Explorer of the Seas. We drove up the turnpike, no real traffic problems and parked at the pier area, for maybe $80.00 for the 5-6 days and on Friday coming back the same thing and we were back in our house by l2:00 PM (Bayonne, NJ): The only thing that bothered us was the ship had to park way out near nothing and to get to town was by ferry boat (Taxi Service was outrageously priced). We only went to town the one day and the following day we stayed on the ship, which was fine for us. I don't know, but does the Enchantment of the Seas dock connecting to the main street? For us we prefer the larger ships, so that could be the tradeoff to other people. We just booked Oasis of the Seas for next February and skipped the three ships between Voyager Class and Oasis of the Seas. Good Luck, I'm sure you will have a wonderful trip whatever decision you make.

Just in case anyone really would drive from A-B-E to either Bayonne or Baltimore ...

Other folks' luck at Bayonne seems to be much better, ours was horrible horrible horrible, 45 minute line to the parking lot once we arrived and 45 minute wait to board. Then big old busses difficult for the handicapped to navigate. Loved the Explorer, loved Bermuda, but will not sail out of Bayonne again if I can help it.

Longer drive to Baltimore from the Lehigh Valley, less time once parking is factored in since parking is a breeze. Right at the ship.

Have only done Grandeur, but am booked for Enchantment in April. Ease makes up for the skating rink (and I did love the ice skating show too).

Any cruise is a good cruise! Enjoy,

el henry

We just got back from a Bermuda cruise on Explorer, out of Bayonne. We drove up from Philly, and had no problems at all. Granted, we arrived around 11:30, and just beat the rush (the check-in line was 3 parties deep when we arrived, and 20-deep by the time we got to the head of the line), so arriving early is REALLY your friend in Bayonne. And yes, if you're disabled at all, the bus situation can complicate things.

But otherwise, we had no issues at all getting to the port (NJ turnpike to exit 10, 440 through Staten Island up to the port), and were onboard in a flash. We'd do it again with no hesitation.

Dave

:cool:Living in Philadelphia (in middle between two), it was no decision for me and my May 28th, 2011 cruise to Bermuda. BALTIMORE all the way. Easy in and easy out. Have sailed from both, but Baltimore is much easier. Airport is 20 min driving time to port. I would go in day early, but up to you. Been on Enchantment twice, and great ship:cool:

That's great to hear as we're planning our first cruise out of Baltimore, now that south Philly is no longer an option.

Tracy, anything will feel a lot bigger after the former Norwegian Majesty, but I still miss that ship.

Archived