Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Friends of Cruise Critic > Big Apple to Big Easy 10/21/12
 
Register here!
Forgot Your Password?


Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old March 19th, 2011, 10:59 AM
OceanDreaming2's Avatar
OceanDreaming2 OceanDreaming2 is online now
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: desert SW
Posts: 8,607
Default Post-Cruise New Orleans (The Big Easy)

Please post info on the port of New Orleans here.
__________________
OceanDreaming2 <--email
Mary

We've enjoyed every ship on which we've cruised!






Rollcall info here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...O9g/edit#gid=0

** 20+ Cruises on Norwegian Cruise Line ** 250 point milestone achieved!

Finally made it to "Ruby" on Princess.

Coming up:

Grand Princess: 10 day Mexican Riviera plus La Paz & Loreto
Celebrity Equinox: 10 day Caribbean (first time on Celebrity)
Norwegian Jewel: Alaska with our Cruzin Cuzins
Reply With Quote

  #2  
Old March 19th, 2011, 11:22 AM
kparker's Avatar
kparker kparker is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Summerfield, Florida
Posts: 7,285
Default Favorite Restaurants - New Orleans

Barry's two restaurants and some great music!

K- Pauls http://www.chefpaul.com/site.php

Mothers http://www.mothersrestaurant.net/HOB

(House of Blues) http://www.houseofblues.com/venues/c...es/neworleans/

Karen & Gary's Favorites!

Mr. B's Bistro http://www.mrbsbistro.com/
Acme Oyster Bar for those who like them http://www.acmeoyster.com/
Muriels - Cajun restaurant http://www.muriels.com/
Gumbo Shop http://gumboshop.com/index.php

Tours in New Orleans!

There are so many great ones. I've taken several of those listed here. I posted the entire link because there are so many things to do. This website explains many of them.

Tours in NO Click on the link!

http://www.neworleansonline.com/neworleans/tours/
__________________
Kaz

"Life is too short. So, love the people who treat you right. Forget the ones who don't and believe that everything happens for a reason!"

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." (Albert Einstein)






Carnival Legend - 8/14
Carnival Dream - 1/14
Carnival Breeze - 3/13
MSC Poesia - 12/12
Carnival Dream - 9/12
Carnival Dream - 11/11
Ruby Princess - 9/11
Carnival Miracle - 01/11 B2B 02/11
Royal Caribbean Monarch of the Seas - 5/16
Norwegian Spirit - 04/10
Carnival Pride - 04/09
Carnival Miracle - 9/07
Carnival Spirit - 10/06
Norwegian Wind - 3/05
Norwegian Sun - 2/04
Norwegian Sky - 2/03
Norwegian Dream
Norwegian Leeward
Splendor of the Seas
Zenith
Olympia
Homeric
Atlantic
Doric
Franconia

Last edited by kparker; March 19th, 2011 at 11:23 AM.
Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old March 19th, 2011, 02:55 PM
alrose251's Avatar
alrose251 alrose251 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: St. Rose, sub of New Orleans, LA
Posts: 976
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kparker View Post
Barry's two restaurants and some great music!

K- Pauls http://www.chefpaul.com/site.php

Mothers http://www.mothersrestaurant.net/HOB

(House of Blues) http://www.houseofblues.com/venues/c...es/neworleans/

Karen & Gary's Favorites!

Mr. B's Bistro http://www.mrbsbistro.com/
Acme Oyster Bar for those who like them http://www.acmeoyster.com/
Muriels - Cajun restaurant http://www.muriels.com/
Gumbo Shop http://gumboshop.com/index.php

Tours in New Orleans!

There are so many great ones. I've taken several of those listed here. I posted the entire link because there are so many things to do. This website explains many of them.

Tours in NO Click on the link!

http://www.neworleansonline.com/neworleans/tours/
Being from NOLA, I can vouch for some of your favs!

Acme Oyster House has great seafood of all kinds! It also has many non-seafood items. I love shrimp, so that is what I usually get! Another favorite is the "Boo fries". A very large order of fries with roast beef gravy and cheese on top!

Also, Muriels is excellent. It would be considered fine dining!

I like Mother's, but we have some many just as good poboys resturants
__________________
Rose

NCL "Dawn" Nov. '14
Carnival "Dream" July'14
NCL "Star" Oct. '12 The Best Cruise Ever!!
RCCL "Voyager of the Seas" 1'12
Carnival "Ecstasy" September '11
Carnival "Triumph" January '11
Carnival "Triumph" June '10
NCL "Spirit" April '10 (repo)
Carnival "Triumph" December '09
Carnival "Fantasy" September '09
Princess "Coral" June '08
Carnival "Fantasy" May '07
NCL "Dawn" April '06
Carnival "Celebration" July '99
Commadore "Enchanted Seas" July '97
Commadore "Enchanted Seas" July '95
Commadore "Enchanted Isle" July '92
Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old March 19th, 2011, 04:33 PM
*Luv2Cruz*'s Avatar
*Luv2Cruz* *Luv2Cruz* is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Newburgh N.Y.
Posts: 7,274
Thumbs up Good to Know

Quote:
Originally Posted by alrose251 View Post
Being from NOLA, I can vouch for some of your favs!

Acme Oyster House has great seafood of all kinds! It also has many non-seafood items. I love shrimp, so that is what I usually get! Another favorite is the "Boo fries". A very large order of fries with roast beef gravy and cheese on top!

Also, Muriels is excellent. It would be considered fine dining!

I like Mother's, but we have some many just as good poboys resturants
I'm not a big seafood guy but the Boo fries, roast beef and gravy sound great! Thanks!

Last edited by *Luv2Cruz*; March 19th, 2011 at 04:33 PM.
Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old March 20th, 2011, 12:47 PM
on the ridge on the ridge is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Fonthill, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 120
Default

We call fries smothered in gravy and cheese, Poutine (or a heart attack in a box) here in Canada and you can even buy it at Burger King.
__________________
Oct. '83 Carnival Carnivale, Caribbean
Oct. '94 Carnival Jubilee, Mexican Riviera
Dec. '00 NCL SS Norway, Eastern Caribbean
March '04 NCL Dream, Repo NOLA to Miami
March '06 NCL Jewel, western Caribbean
Nov. '07 Carnival Liberty, Caribbean
Nov. '08 NCL Dawn, repo NYC to Miami, southern Caribbean
Feb. '09 NCL Sky, Bahamas
Nov. '09 NCL Star, Panama Canal (LA to Miami)
Apr. '10 NCL Spirit, repo Beads to Beans (NOLA to Boston)
Oct. '11 NCL Epic, repo TA, Barcelona to Miami
Jan. '12 NCL Epic, Eastern Caribbean
Feb. '12 NCL Epic, Eastern Caribbean
June '12 NCL Jade, Eastern Med., Greek Isles
July '12 NCL Jade, Eastern Med., Adriatic, Greece, Turkey, Croatia
Oct.'12 NCL Star, repo NYC to NOLA, southern Caribbean
Jan.'13 NCL Star, Western Caribbean
Feb.'13 NCL Star, Western Caribbean
April '13 NCL Star, TA: New Orleans, Miami, Azores, England, Sweden, Copenhagen
May '13 NCL Star, Baltics: Copenhagen, Germany, Estonia, Russia, Finland, Sweden
May '14 NCL Sun, LA to Vancouver,BC
Aug '14 Carnival Valor, southern Caribbean
Booked :
Nov.'14 NCL Dawn repo Beans to Beads (Boston to New Orleans)
Reply With Quote

Ad Sponsored By
  #6  
Old March 20th, 2011, 08:39 PM
*Luv2Cruz*'s Avatar
*Luv2Cruz* *Luv2Cruz* is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Newburgh N.Y.
Posts: 7,274
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by on the ridge View Post
We call fries smothered in gravy and cheese, Poutine (or a heart attack in a box) here in Canada and you can even buy it at Burger King.
Now I don't know which is scareyer? The heart attack in the box, or you can get it at Burger King!
__________________



NCL Breakaway 3.29.15 Port Canaveral; Great Stirrup Cay, Bahamas; Nassau, Bahamas Click Here!
M&G’s and More… Details Sign Up

Previous Cruises:
NCL Breakaway Fla, GSC, Nassau 3/14 Pics, Carnival Splendor GT, HMC, Nassau 10/13 Pics, Vids, Carnival Miracle Fla., Nassau, Freeport 11/12 Pics Vids,
NCL Jewel Fla., GSC, Nassau 5/11
Pics Washy, Washy Vid, Carnival Miracle "Ocean Blue Miracle Crew" CC Group E. Carib. 5/10 Pics, NCL Dawn "Kings Wharf Rats" CC Group Bermuda 6/09 Pics Vids, Carnival Destiny Southern Carib 5/08, NCL Crown Bermuda 8/06, Carnival Destiny Southern Carib 4/04,
Royal Caribbean Bermuda 8/02, Princess Western Carib 4/00, Celebrity Zenith Bermuda 8/97
S2C
Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old March 24th, 2011, 02:54 AM
KNJforFun's Avatar
KNJforFun KNJforFun is online now
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New Orleans,LA
Posts: 738
Default

Living in the French Quarter, we have found sooooo many really good resturants. One that is different and in a great location is Galvez. It is in Dutch Alley next to Cafe du Monde. They serve full dinners or tapas size dishes. The food is real Spanish (from Spain not Mexico) with a New Orleans twist. They make their own white and red sangaria (yummy). The food is really good, but the location is fantastic. They are on the second floor of the building right next to the river. You have a great view of the bridge and all the ships traveling down or up the Mississippi.

For a top of the line dinning experience, make reservations at Stella's. The food is great and service is like being waited on as a King. This is an expensive but very impressive place to eat.

For chargrilled Oysters, you have to go to Drago's. It is in the Hilton that is across the street from Harrahs (casino).

Tommy's and Irene's excellant Italian food.

There are so many more. If anyone is looking for a certain kind of food, just ask and I will scout it out for you.

Joy and Ken
Reply With Quote

  #8  
Old April 7th, 2011, 06:40 PM
Arzeena Arzeena is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 6,267
Default

Any suggestions for two history buffs?
Reply With Quote

  #9  
Old April 9th, 2011, 06:20 PM
Travel Junkie Judy's Avatar
Travel Junkie Judy Travel Junkie Judy is offline
Blue Ribbon Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 3,092
Default Restaurant


Try Irene's Cuisine 539 Saint Philip St.
if you have time. It's off the beaten path, but is a local favorite. You should have a reservation for dinner (504) 529-8811). It's toward the river (almost to Decatur St.). Saint Philip St. is between Dumaine St and Ursuline Ave. It is hard to find, but worth the effort. *Just my opinion of course!

Judy
__________________


Judy & Rol

ROLL CALL NOV 2014 BEANS TO BEADS:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...EE&usp=sharing

****Norwegian JADE TA BARCELONA to HOUSTON Oct 2015
****Norwegian JEWEL HOUSTON Caribbean Dec 2014
****Norwegian DAWN BOSTON REPO to NOLA Nov 2014
****Norwegian DAWN BOSTON to Bermuda Oct 2014

**Norwegian STAR LOS ANGELES March 2014
**Carnival MAGIC GALVESTON Dec 2013
**Princess CARIBBEAN HOUSTON Nov 2013
**RCCL VISION OF THE SEA, Norwegian Fjords May 2013

**Norwegian STAR Copenhagen Baltic May
2013
**Norwegian STAR TA NOLA to Copenhagen Apr 2013
**Norwegian STAR NOLA Caribbean Jan 2013
**Norwegian STAR NYC REPO to NOLA Oct 2012

**Norwegian STAR NYC Bermuda Oct 2012
**
Norwegian STAR TAMPA Caribbean Jan 2012

**Carnival Conquest NOLA Caribbean JAN 2012
**Norwegian SPIRIT NOLA Caribbean Jan 2011
**Carnival Conquest GALVESTON Caribbean Nov 2010
**Norwegian DAWN NYC NE/Canada Oct 2010
**Norwegian DAWN MIAMI Caribbean Jan 2010
**Norwegian STAR SAN DIEGO - MIAMI Panama Canal Nov 2009
**Carnival Conquest GALVESTON Caribbean Apr 2008
**Carnival Ecstasy GALVESTON Caribbean Jan 2008

**Norwegian SUN VANCOUVER Alaska Sept 2007

**Norwegian SEA HOUSTON Caribbean Jan 2005
Reply With Quote

  #10  
Old April 10th, 2011, 01:06 AM
Uniall's Avatar
Uniall Uniall is offline
10,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: chicago
Posts: 11,979
Default

So far, we have enjoyed two of Emeril Lagase's restaurants. We would go back to either in a minute.

Pre Cruise: Spring 2009

Emeril's Restaurant

warehouse district

800 Tchoupitoulas Street, New Orleans - (504) 528-9393


New Years Eve 12/31/07

Emeril's Delmonico Restaurant & Bar

Garden district

1300 Saint Charles Ave, New Orleans - (504) 525-4937



__________________
.
NCL Latitudes Member: Platinum
RCI Crown & Anchor Member: Diamond

Completed Cruises
Jan '89 Premier pre Disney Oceanic, Baham; May '95 Regal Empress, Mex; Apr '96 Regal Empress, Carib; Jan '06 RCI Radiance of Seas, West Carib; Aug '06 NCL Sun, Alas; Oct '07 NCL Pride of Aloha Hawaii; Feb '08 HAL Westerdam, Irish Theme, Carib; Nov '08 NCL Jade, Med.; Apr '09 NCL Jewel, TA, Miami/Dover; May '09 NCL Jewel, Dover/Baltic; Oct '09 NCL Jewel, New Eng & Can; Nov '09 NCL Jewel, South Carib; Nov '09 NCL Jewel, Baham; Apr '10 NCL Spirit, NOLA/Boston; Sep '10 NCL Pearl, Vanc'ver, Can./LA; Sep '10 NCL Pearl, LA/Pan Canal/Miami; Oct '10 NCL Pearl, Baham; Oct '10 NCL Pearl, West Carib; May '11 NCL Epic, TA, Miami/Barcelona; Oct '11 NCL Jade: Rome/Eastern Med/Rome; Oct '11 RCI Mariner: Rome/Eastern Med/TA/Carib/Galveston; Dec '11 NCL Dawn, Miami/Carib; Apr '12 RCI Majesty, Miami/Carib; Apr '12 RCI Grandeur, Miami/Carib/ TA/Malaga, Spain; Oct '12 NCL Star, NYC/Carib/NOLA; Apr '13 NCL Star, NOLA/TA/Copenhagen; May '13 NCL Star, Copenhagen/Baltic/Copenhagen; Dec '13 NCL Gem, NYC/Carib/NYC; April/May '14 RCI Brilliance Tampa/TA/Harwich UK; May/Jun '14 RubyPrincess: Southampton/Irish & English Channels/Southampton; Oct '14 NCL Sun, LA/Pan Canal/Tampa; Oct '14 NCL Sun, Tampa/Western Carib/Tampa;

Booked Future Cruises
Apr '15 RCCL Radiance: Sydney, AUS/South Pacific/ Honolulu; May '15 RCCL Radiance: Honolulu/Hawaiian Isles/Vancouver, CAN; Oct '15:NCL Sun: SanDiego/Mex Riviera/San Diego; Nov '15 NCL Escape Miami Eastern Carib; Nov '15 RC Independence, Ft Laud/Southern Carib; Nov '15 RC Independence, Ft Laud/Westrn Carib

Last edited by Uniall; April 10th, 2011 at 01:12 AM.
Reply With Quote

  #11  
Old April 10th, 2011, 01:24 AM
Travel Junkie Judy's Avatar
Travel Junkie Judy Travel Junkie Judy is offline
Blue Ribbon Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 3,092
Default Hotel - NOLA

In January we stayed in NOLA before our cruise on the Spirit. We stayed at the Holiday Inn Convention Center. Parking is free for the length of the cruise. It was a good deal, but it isn't the greatest hotel. The room was clean, but it is an older hotel & not very big. For a Holiday Inn, I'd say it is at the lower end. We only stayed one night, so we didn't mind.
We had friends take us to the port and then return us to the Holiday Inn after the cruise, so it was a win-win for us.
If you are parking for the 14 days plus the night before, this is a real bargain.
We've stayed at some nice private places that we found on VRBO dot com when we went to NOLA for a small vacation there.
Crescent City Guest House in very nice & is about a block and a half from the Quarter. It is four rooms off of a large great room. They have a nice back yard with a hot tub. They provide fruit, cereal, toast, bagels & snacks. It is one of the nicest B & B's we've ever used. Four couples could rent the entire place & probably save a few bucks. The rooms are fairly large, very clean and the hosts are awesome - 2 gentlemen. It is on a quiet residential street.
Judy
__________________


Judy & Rol

ROLL CALL NOV 2014 BEANS TO BEADS:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...EE&usp=sharing

****Norwegian JADE TA BARCELONA to HOUSTON Oct 2015
****Norwegian JEWEL HOUSTON Caribbean Dec 2014
****Norwegian DAWN BOSTON REPO to NOLA Nov 2014
****Norwegian DAWN BOSTON to Bermuda Oct 2014

**Norwegian STAR LOS ANGELES March 2014
**Carnival MAGIC GALVESTON Dec 2013
**Princess CARIBBEAN HOUSTON Nov 2013
**RCCL VISION OF THE SEA, Norwegian Fjords May 2013

**Norwegian STAR Copenhagen Baltic May
2013
**Norwegian STAR TA NOLA to Copenhagen Apr 2013
**Norwegian STAR NOLA Caribbean Jan 2013
**Norwegian STAR NYC REPO to NOLA Oct 2012

**Norwegian STAR NYC Bermuda Oct 2012
**
Norwegian STAR TAMPA Caribbean Jan 2012

**Carnival Conquest NOLA Caribbean JAN 2012
**Norwegian SPIRIT NOLA Caribbean Jan 2011
**Carnival Conquest GALVESTON Caribbean Nov 2010
**Norwegian DAWN NYC NE/Canada Oct 2010
**Norwegian DAWN MIAMI Caribbean Jan 2010
**Norwegian STAR SAN DIEGO - MIAMI Panama Canal Nov 2009
**Carnival Conquest GALVESTON Caribbean Apr 2008
**Carnival Ecstasy GALVESTON Caribbean Jan 2008

**Norwegian SUN VANCOUVER Alaska Sept 2007

**Norwegian SEA HOUSTON Caribbean Jan 2005
Reply With Quote

  #12  
Old April 10th, 2011, 09:10 AM
Uniall's Avatar
Uniall Uniall is offline
10,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: chicago
Posts: 11,979
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kparker
Enjoy the festivities! We sure wish we could be there to celebrate with you. Have a Cafe au lai and Beignets for me from Cafe Du Monde, and a Hurricane and Po Boy sandwich for dessert () from whichever restaurant you think makes the best. Most important.....have fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRTampa
Please go to the Acme Oyster House and have a dozen Char grilled oysters and a pint of Abita Amber! Thank you for asking!

Yum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by big green
Right across the street from the Acme nearby is a restaurant called Felix's which has been a French quarter landmark for years--they have a great Oyster bar that I have used many many times.

Bud
__________________
.
NCL Latitudes Member: Platinum
RCI Crown & Anchor Member: Diamond

Completed Cruises
Jan '89 Premier pre Disney Oceanic, Baham; May '95 Regal Empress, Mex; Apr '96 Regal Empress, Carib; Jan '06 RCI Radiance of Seas, West Carib; Aug '06 NCL Sun, Alas; Oct '07 NCL Pride of Aloha Hawaii; Feb '08 HAL Westerdam, Irish Theme, Carib; Nov '08 NCL Jade, Med.; Apr '09 NCL Jewel, TA, Miami/Dover; May '09 NCL Jewel, Dover/Baltic; Oct '09 NCL Jewel, New Eng & Can; Nov '09 NCL Jewel, South Carib; Nov '09 NCL Jewel, Baham; Apr '10 NCL Spirit, NOLA/Boston; Sep '10 NCL Pearl, Vanc'ver, Can./LA; Sep '10 NCL Pearl, LA/Pan Canal/Miami; Oct '10 NCL Pearl, Baham; Oct '10 NCL Pearl, West Carib; May '11 NCL Epic, TA, Miami/Barcelona; Oct '11 NCL Jade: Rome/Eastern Med/Rome; Oct '11 RCI Mariner: Rome/Eastern Med/TA/Carib/Galveston; Dec '11 NCL Dawn, Miami/Carib; Apr '12 RCI Majesty, Miami/Carib; Apr '12 RCI Grandeur, Miami/Carib/ TA/Malaga, Spain; Oct '12 NCL Star, NYC/Carib/NOLA; Apr '13 NCL Star, NOLA/TA/Copenhagen; May '13 NCL Star, Copenhagen/Baltic/Copenhagen; Dec '13 NCL Gem, NYC/Carib/NYC; April/May '14 RCI Brilliance Tampa/TA/Harwich UK; May/Jun '14 RubyPrincess: Southampton/Irish & English Channels/Southampton; Oct '14 NCL Sun, LA/Pan Canal/Tampa; Oct '14 NCL Sun, Tampa/Western Carib/Tampa;

Booked Future Cruises
Apr '15 RCCL Radiance: Sydney, AUS/South Pacific/ Honolulu; May '15 RCCL Radiance: Honolulu/Hawaiian Isles/Vancouver, CAN; Oct '15:NCL Sun: SanDiego/Mex Riviera/San Diego; Nov '15 NCL Escape Miami Eastern Carib; Nov '15 RC Independence, Ft Laud/Southern Carib; Nov '15 RC Independence, Ft Laud/Westrn Carib
Reply With Quote

  #13  
Old April 11th, 2011, 07:38 PM
TRTampa's Avatar
TRTampa TRTampa is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Tampa
Posts: 677
Default

any way Irene's is ok if you like New Orleans style Italian food--I much prefer cajun or creole cooking that can be had in some very fine restaurants like Cochon and Luke's. A great alternative to the Acme house is Deanie's Seafood---great place and I think better overall seafood than the Acme house---and usually no lines--a lot of locals eat here--check the web site.

Great recommendation from BG!
__________________
Tom

Norwegian Dawn 11/7/14 Beans to Beads, Garden Villa Style!
Carnival Legend 10/2013 New York to TAMPA
Carnival Breeze 3/2/13 Maniacs Sail again!
Norwegian Star 10/21/12 Big Apple to Big Easy, Garden Villa Style!
Carnival Miracle 1/30/11 Part 1 Maniacs B2B St. Lucia, St. Kitts, St. my fav Martian
Carnival Miracle 2/7/11 Part 2 Maniacs B2B Grand Turk, La Romana, Curacao, Aruba
NCL Spirit 4/11/10 NOLA to Boston - Beads to Beans
Carnival Pride 3/22/09
25th Anniversary Cruise LA to Miami with the Panamaniacs!
Carnival Legend 2/10/2008 Western Caribbean
Reply With Quote

  #14  
Old May 17th, 2011, 03:15 PM
big green big green is offline
Blue Ribbon Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: San Diego, Ca
Posts: 4,572
Default 25 Free things to do in New Orleans

From the New Orleans Convention Bureau:


"25 Free Things to Do in New Orleans

Thomas Jefferson paid $15 million for the entire Louisiana Territory, or about four cents an acre. That means New Orleans went for about seven bucks. More than 200 years later, New Orleans is still a great deal.

1. Get jazzed.
Stroll along Bourbon, Frenchmen and Fulton, where jazz pours out onto the street, or duck into a club for the full experience. Many clubs don’t even charge a cover.

2. Dive deeper into our musical heritage.
Take a ferry to the Jazz Walk of Fame, a collection of commemorative lampposts located at the Algiers Point. Download a free audio tour or call 504-613-4062.

3. Browse art throughout the city.
It seems like you can find art in every corner of New Orleans — and you can. Check out the galleries on Julia and Royal, Jackson Square vendors and the Mid-City and Bywater art markets.

4. Experience our parks.
Walk among the centuries-old oaks of City Park, picnic in picturesque Audubon Park or enjoy views of the Mississippi River at Woldenberg Park.

5. Attend a free festival.
There’s almost always a festival going on in New Orleans, and many of them are free — French Quarter Fest, Satchmo SummerFest, Po-Boy Preservation Festival, Wednesdays at the Square and, of course, Mardi Gras.

6. Immerse yourself in New Orleans history.
Stop by the Historic New Orleans Collection at 533 Royal Street for a crash course on the city’s history, which spans almost 300 years.

7. Spend a day at the track.
Experience the thrill of live thoroughbred racing at the New Orleans Fair Grounds from early November to late March. Grand stand admission is free.

8. Bike along the levee.
Bring your bike (or rent one) and go for a ride along the levee while taking in the sights and sounds of the mighty Mississippi River.

9. Eat for free.
Oysters, gumbo, crawfish boils — many of these feasts are free at local music clubs for those who are there buying a few drinks.

10. Shop for mansions on St. Charles Avenue.
Come on! You don’t have to be in the market to appreciate these jewels on the Avenue.

11. View the architecture of the French Quarter.
I spy wrought-iron balconies, a cornstalk fence, a hidden courtyard...

12. Tour the oldest restaurant in the French Quarter.
Ask for a tour of the historic Antoine’s that has hosted dignitaries, presidents and notable historic figures in its 160 years. Make sure to peek into the endless wine cellar.

13. Catch a free summer show at Tipitina’s.
This uptown venue pays homage to the jazz legend Professor Longhair with free shows on Fridays during the summer months.

14. Eat some pralines.
This gooey, nutty treat is a New Orleans snack staple. Candy shops throughout the city offer enough free samples to fill you up — and tempt you to bring some home.

15. See haute art.
The fashionable Warehouse District also doubles as the art district. The first Saturday of every month, walk down Julia Street and peruse local artwork in the diverse galleries.

16. Look for ghosts.
Experience paranormal activity and visit haunted sites such as the Hotel Monteleone, one of the most spirited locations in the French Quarter.

17. Spend Saturday morning at the farmers’ market.
Learn a bit about the famous New Orleans cuisine with free cooking demonstrations at the Crescent City Farmers Market.

18. Roll up a cigar.
The New Orleans Cigar Factory is one of just a handful of U.S.-based cigar rolling outfits. Located right in the French Quarter, the store is a walk-in factory with a half-dozen experts rolling tobacco at any given time.

19. Haunt our “Cities of the Dead.”
Visit our famous aboveground tombs at Lafayette Cemetery No. 1 in the Garden District or St. Louis Cemetery No. 1 on Basin Street, believed to be the final resting place of Voodoo Queen Marie Laveau. Knock three times on her crypt and make a wish.

20. Take a self-guided literary tour.
See where Tennessee Williams (722 Toulouse), William Faulkner (624 Pirate’s Alley), Truman Capote (711 Royal), Thornton Wilder (623 Bourbon), Walker Percy (1820 Milan) and Anne Rice (1239 First) lived.

21. Jam at the Square.
During the spring, the Young Leadership Council sponsors free concerts Wednesdays in Lafayette Square. During the fall, Second Harvest hosts the party.

22. Ride the river.
The free Canal Street ferry offers some of the best views of the New Orleans skyline and drops you in historic Algiers.

23. Be moved by our spectacular churches.
The large Catholic population of New Orleans gave rise to breathtaking churches such as St. Louis Cathedral, St. Augustine and Our Lady of Guadalupe.

24. Discover the Besthoff Sculpture Garden.
Located amid the beauty of City Park, the Besthoff Sculpture Garden features one of the most impressive collections of contemporary sculpture in America.

25. Be a “voluntourist.”
Though New Orleans is thriving, there are parts of the city that could still use some help following Hurricane Katrina. Just a few hours of volunteering"


Bg
__________________
Sailed Regency Regent Sea Caribbean 10/82- 7 day
Sailed NCL Pearl Alaska 07/02/07 - 7 day
Sailed NCL Sun Hawaii Escape 09/30/07-10 day
Sailed NCL Spirit Carib relo to NY 03/30/2008-16 day
Sailed NCL Sun Exotic Americas 11/04/2008-19 day
Sailed NCL Star Mexican Riviera 12/20/08-7 day
Sailed NCL Spirit Relo to NOLA 10/23/09-16 day
Sailed Carnival Splendor to Mexicana Riviera 05/23/10-7 day
Sailed NCL Spirit Relo to Nola 10/23/10-15 day
Sailed Holland Oosterdam to Hawaii 12/10/11-14 day
Sailed Holland Westerdam to Hawaii/Tahiti/Marquesas 10/03/12-30 day
Sailed NCL Jewel Panama Canal 09/27/13 16 day
Reply With Quote

  #15  
Old May 17th, 2011, 03:23 PM
kparker's Avatar
kparker kparker is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Summerfield, Florida
Posts: 7,285
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by big green View Post
From the New Orleans Convention Bureau:


"25 Free Things to Do in New Orleans

Thomas Jefferson paid $15 million for the entire Louisiana Territory, or about four cents an acre. That means New Orleans went for about seven bucks. More than 200 years later, New Orleans is still a great deal.

1. Get jazzed.
Stroll along Bourbon, Frenchmen and Fulton, where jazz pours out onto the street, or duck into a club for the full experience. Many clubs don’t even charge a cover.

2. Dive deeper into our musical heritage.
Take a ferry to the Jazz Walk of Fame, a collection of commemorative lampposts located at the Algiers Point. Download a free audio tour or call 504-613-4062.

3. Browse art throughout the city.
It seems like you can find art in every corner of New Orleans — and you can. Check out the galleries on Julia and Royal, Jackson Square vendors and the Mid-City and Bywater art markets.

4. Experience our parks.
Walk among the centuries-old oaks of City Park, picnic in picturesque Audubon Park or enjoy views of the Mississippi River at Woldenberg Park.

5. Attend a free festival.
There’s almost always a festival going on in New Orleans, and many of them are free — French Quarter Fest, Satchmo SummerFest, Po-Boy Preservation Festival, Wednesdays at the Square and, of course, Mardi Gras.

6. Immerse yourself in New Orleans history.
Stop by the Historic New Orleans Collection at 533 Royal Street for a crash course on the city’s history, which spans almost 300 years.

7. Spend a day at the track.
Experience the thrill of live thoroughbred racing at the New Orleans Fair Grounds from early November to late March. Grand stand admission is free.

8. Bike along the levee.
Bring your bike (or rent one) and go for a ride along the levee while taking in the sights and sounds of the mighty Mississippi River.

9. Eat for free.
Oysters, gumbo, crawfish boils — many of these feasts are free at local music clubs for those who are there buying a few drinks.

10. Shop for mansions on St. Charles Avenue.
Come on! You don’t have to be in the market to appreciate these jewels on the Avenue.

11. View the architecture of the French Quarter.
I spy wrought-iron balconies, a cornstalk fence, a hidden courtyard...

12. Tour the oldest restaurant in the French Quarter.
Ask for a tour of the historic Antoine’s that has hosted dignitaries, presidents and notable historic figures in its 160 years. Make sure to peek into the endless wine cellar.

13. Catch a free summer show at Tipitina’s.
This uptown venue pays homage to the jazz legend Professor Longhair with free shows on Fridays during the summer months.

14. Eat some pralines.
This gooey, nutty treat is a New Orleans snack staple. Candy shops throughout the city offer enough free samples to fill you up — and tempt you to bring some home.

15. See haute art.
The fashionable Warehouse District also doubles as the art district. The first Saturday of every month, walk down Julia Street and peruse local artwork in the diverse galleries.

16. Look for ghosts.
Experience paranormal activity and visit haunted sites such as the Hotel Monteleone, one of the most spirited locations in the French Quarter.

17. Spend Saturday morning at the farmers’ market.
Learn a bit about the famous New Orleans cuisine with free cooking demonstrations at the Crescent City Farmers Market.

18. Roll up a cigar.
The New Orleans Cigar Factory is one of just a handful of U.S.-based cigar rolling outfits. Located right in the French Quarter, the store is a walk-in factory with a half-dozen experts rolling tobacco at any given time.

19. Haunt our “Cities of the Dead.”
Visit our famous aboveground tombs at Lafayette Cemetery No. 1 in the Garden District or St. Louis Cemetery No. 1 on Basin Street, believed to be the final resting place of Voodoo Queen Marie Laveau. Knock three times on her crypt and make a wish.

20. Take a self-guided literary tour.
See where Tennessee Williams (722 Toulouse), William Faulkner (624 Pirate’s Alley), Truman Capote (711 Royal), Thornton Wilder (623 Bourbon), Walker Percy (1820 Milan) and Anne Rice (1239 First) lived.

21. Jam at the Square.
During the spring, the Young Leadership Council sponsors free concerts Wednesdays in Lafayette Square. During the fall, Second Harvest hosts the party.

22. Ride the river.
The free Canal Street ferry offers some of the best views of the New Orleans skyline and drops you in historic Algiers.

23. Be moved by our spectacular churches.
The large Catholic population of New Orleans gave rise to breathtaking churches such as St. Louis Cathedral, St. Augustine and Our Lady of Guadalupe.

24. Discover the Besthoff Sculpture Garden.
Located amid the beauty of City Park, the Besthoff Sculpture Garden features one of the most impressive collections of contemporary sculpture in America.

25. Be a “voluntourist.”
Though New Orleans is thriving, there are parts of the city that could still use some help following Hurricane Katrina. Just a few hours of volunteering"


Bg
Great information BG....thanks for posting!
__________________
Kaz

"Life is too short. So, love the people who treat you right. Forget the ones who don't and believe that everything happens for a reason!"

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." (Albert Einstein)






Carnival Legend - 8/14
Carnival Dream - 1/14
Carnival Breeze - 3/13
MSC Poesia - 12/12
Carnival Dream - 9/12
Carnival Dream - 11/11
Ruby Princess - 9/11
Carnival Miracle - 01/11 B2B 02/11
Royal Caribbean Monarch of the Seas - 5/16
Norwegian Spirit - 04/10
Carnival Pride - 04/09
Carnival Miracle - 9/07
Carnival Spirit - 10/06
Norwegian Wind - 3/05
Norwegian Sun - 2/04
Norwegian Sky - 2/03
Norwegian Dream
Norwegian Leeward
Splendor of the Seas
Zenith
Olympia
Homeric
Atlantic
Doric
Franconia
Reply With Quote

  #16  
Old May 17th, 2011, 05:09 PM
Travel Junkie Judy's Avatar
Travel Junkie Judy Travel Junkie Judy is offline
Blue Ribbon Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 3,092
Default

Thanks BG!

I've been to NOLA many times, but you've come up with some new ideas for us! Everyone should scour through this list. It is great.

Judy
__________________


Judy & Rol

ROLL CALL NOV 2014 BEANS TO BEADS:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...EE&usp=sharing

****Norwegian JADE TA BARCELONA to HOUSTON Oct 2015
****Norwegian JEWEL HOUSTON Caribbean Dec 2014
****Norwegian DAWN BOSTON REPO to NOLA Nov 2014
****Norwegian DAWN BOSTON to Bermuda Oct 2014

**Norwegian STAR LOS ANGELES March 2014
**Carnival MAGIC GALVESTON Dec 2013
**Princess CARIBBEAN HOUSTON Nov 2013
**RCCL VISION OF THE SEA, Norwegian Fjords May 2013

**Norwegian STAR Copenhagen Baltic May
2013
**Norwegian STAR TA NOLA to Copenhagen Apr 2013
**Norwegian STAR NOLA Caribbean Jan 2013
**Norwegian STAR NYC REPO to NOLA Oct 2012

**Norwegian STAR NYC Bermuda Oct 2012
**
Norwegian STAR TAMPA Caribbean Jan 2012

**Carnival Conquest NOLA Caribbean JAN 2012
**Norwegian SPIRIT NOLA Caribbean Jan 2011
**Carnival Conquest GALVESTON Caribbean Nov 2010
**Norwegian DAWN NYC NE/Canada Oct 2010
**Norwegian DAWN MIAMI Caribbean Jan 2010
**Norwegian STAR SAN DIEGO - MIAMI Panama Canal Nov 2009
**Carnival Conquest GALVESTON Caribbean Apr 2008
**Carnival Ecstasy GALVESTON Caribbean Jan 2008

**Norwegian SUN VANCOUVER Alaska Sept 2007

**Norwegian SEA HOUSTON Caribbean Jan 2005
Reply With Quote

  #17  
Old May 17th, 2011, 08:07 PM
big green big green is offline
Blue Ribbon Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: San Diego, Ca
Posts: 4,572
Default 7 Ways to tour New Orleans

From the New Orleans Convention Bureau:

Quote:
"7 Ways to Tour New Orleans

With so much to do and so many tour options in New Orleans, where should you start? Begin with a tour on a topic that intrigues you. Here are seven types to choose from:

1. History Tours
From Jackson Square to jazz to the Louisiana Purchase, a history tour will introduce you to the landmarks, traditions and lore that make this Southern city the cultural treasure it is. Whether you choose a walking tour or bus tour, you’ll have a chance to learn about the city’s Creole roots, discover bustling areas like the French Market and visit hallowed spaces like St. Mary’s Church and the Old Ursuline Convent, the oldest building in the Mississippi Valley.

2. Culinary Tours
With French, Creole, Cajun and other cuisines mingling together, the Big Easy is a melting pot of culinary influences and regional ingredients. Choose a culinary tour, where you can indulge in fare from classic New Orleans restaurants while learning the history behind the cuisine. Looking to actually get into the kitchen? Try a hands-on approach at one of the city’s cooking schools where you can discover the secrets behind New Orleans’ most famous dishes like barbecued shrimp, jambalaya, and corn-and-crab bisque. Hungry?

3. Ghost and Cemetery Tours
New Orleans is known as America’s Most Haunted City. Get the chills with a nighttime adventure, where you’ll hear about the city’s most infamous spirits and explore French Quarter locations known for their paranormal activity. Trying to find a genuine haunted house? Spot spooky apparitions at the Haunted Mortuary, a sprawling, neo-classical mansion built in 1872, which boasts nine resident ghosts. Or, be guided through historic cemeteries where the city’s unique aboveground tombs, stone sarcophagi and massive headstones mark burial sites for New Orleans’ deceased. Take a combined cemetery and voodoo tour to learn about the religion of voodoo: its West African origins, Catholic influences and modern-day practice. Be sure to tour St. Louis Cemetery No. 1 where you can make an offering at the final resting place of New Orleans’ most powerful Voodoo Queen, Marie Laveau.

4. Carriage Tours
Whether you’re looking to add a bit of romance to your trip or want to experience the Old World ambiance of New Orleans, a carriage tour is the perfect way to take in the sights and learn about the city’s intriguing history. Enjoy the clip-clopping of hooves while meandering through the streets of the French Quarter, viewing Jackson Square, Bourbon Street and other iconic landmarks. Or, head uptown into the Garden District to admire the amazing collection of live oaks and antebellum mansions. You can arrange for a pickup at your hotel or bed and breakfast, or head to Jackson Square where you’ll easily find carriages ready and waiting on Decatur Street.

5. Riverboat Tours
Step aboard the regal Creole Queen or Steamboat Natchez for a paddlewheel ride down the Mississippi River. Choose from a romantic evening with a dinner and jazz cruise, or experience riverfront history with the Chalmette Battlefield cruise, which disembarks at the site of the 1815 Battle of New Orleans and tours historical combat sites.

6. Cocktail Tours
New Orleans has a long lineage of libations, from the Sazerac to the French 75 to the Hurricane. Learn about local cocktail culture and heritage on a walking tour where you’ll taste-test alcoholic creations from the French Quarter’s best watering holes. Or go right to the source with a tour and tasting at Celebration Distillation, the oldest premium rum distillery in the United States.

7. Hollywood South
Hop on the Original New Orleans Movie Tours bus and experience the city through its filmmaking legacy. Visit New Orleans' historic landmarks and other locations beloved by filmmakers in neighborhoods across the city. You’ll get the inside scoop on productions such as David Simon’s “Treme” and “The Curious Case of Benjamin Button” starring Brad Pitt. Maybe you'll get to see a movie being filmed right before your very eyes!"unquote

BG
__________________
Sailed Regency Regent Sea Caribbean 10/82- 7 day
Sailed NCL Pearl Alaska 07/02/07 - 7 day
Sailed NCL Sun Hawaii Escape 09/30/07-10 day
Sailed NCL Spirit Carib relo to NY 03/30/2008-16 day
Sailed NCL Sun Exotic Americas 11/04/2008-19 day
Sailed NCL Star Mexican Riviera 12/20/08-7 day
Sailed NCL Spirit Relo to NOLA 10/23/09-16 day
Sailed Carnival Splendor to Mexicana Riviera 05/23/10-7 day
Sailed NCL Spirit Relo to Nola 10/23/10-15 day
Sailed Holland Oosterdam to Hawaii 12/10/11-14 day
Sailed Holland Westerdam to Hawaii/Tahiti/Marquesas 10/03/12-30 day
Sailed NCL Jewel Panama Canal 09/27/13 16 day
Reply With Quote

  #18  
Old May 18th, 2011, 01:56 AM
Travel Junkie Judy's Avatar
Travel Junkie Judy Travel Junkie Judy is offline
Blue Ribbon Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 3,092
Default NOLA tours

Another great post from BG!

I will definitely check back here when it gets closer to cruise time. I love the idea of some of these tours.

Judy
__________________


Judy & Rol

ROLL CALL NOV 2014 BEANS TO BEADS:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...EE&usp=sharing

****Norwegian JADE TA BARCELONA to HOUSTON Oct 2015
****Norwegian JEWEL HOUSTON Caribbean Dec 2014
****Norwegian DAWN BOSTON REPO to NOLA Nov 2014
****Norwegian DAWN BOSTON to Bermuda Oct 2014

**Norwegian STAR LOS ANGELES March 2014
**Carnival MAGIC GALVESTON Dec 2013
**Princess CARIBBEAN HOUSTON Nov 2013
**RCCL VISION OF THE SEA, Norwegian Fjords May 2013

**Norwegian STAR Copenhagen Baltic May
2013
**Norwegian STAR TA NOLA to Copenhagen Apr 2013
**Norwegian STAR NOLA Caribbean Jan 2013
**Norwegian STAR NYC REPO to NOLA Oct 2012

**Norwegian STAR NYC Bermuda Oct 2012
**
Norwegian STAR TAMPA Caribbean Jan 2012

**Carnival Conquest NOLA Caribbean JAN 2012
**Norwegian SPIRIT NOLA Caribbean Jan 2011
**Carnival Conquest GALVESTON Caribbean Nov 2010
**Norwegian DAWN NYC NE/Canada Oct 2010
**Norwegian DAWN MIAMI Caribbean Jan 2010
**Norwegian STAR SAN DIEGO - MIAMI Panama Canal Nov 2009
**Carnival Conquest GALVESTON Caribbean Apr 2008
**Carnival Ecstasy GALVESTON Caribbean Jan 2008

**Norwegian SUN VANCOUVER Alaska Sept 2007

**Norwegian SEA HOUSTON Caribbean Jan 2005
Reply With Quote

  #19  
Old May 18th, 2011, 08:24 AM
kparker's Avatar
kparker kparker is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Summerfield, Florida
Posts: 7,285
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by big green View Post
From the New Orleans Convention Bureau:

Quote:
"7 Ways to Tour New Orleans

With so much to do and so many tour options in New Orleans, where should you start? Begin with a tour on a topic that intrigues you. Here are seven types to choose from:

1. History Tours
From Jackson Square to jazz to the Louisiana Purchase, a history tour will introduce you to the landmarks, traditions and lore that make this Southern city the cultural treasure it is. Whether you choose a walking tour or bus tour, you’ll have a chance to learn about the city’s Creole roots, discover bustling areas like the French Market and visit hallowed spaces like St. Mary’s Church and the Old Ursuline Convent, the oldest building in the Mississippi Valley.

2. Culinary Tours
With French, Creole, Cajun and other cuisines mingling together, the Big Easy is a melting pot of culinary influences and regional ingredients. Choose a culinary tour, where you can indulge in fare from classic New Orleans restaurants while learning the history behind the cuisine. Looking to actually get into the kitchen? Try a hands-on approach at one of the city’s cooking schools where you can discover the secrets behind New Orleans’ most famous dishes like barbecued shrimp, jambalaya, and corn-and-crab bisque. Hungry?

3. Ghost and Cemetery Tours
New Orleans is known as America’s Most Haunted City. Get the chills with a nighttime adventure, where you’ll hear about the city’s most infamous spirits and explore French Quarter locations known for their paranormal activity. Trying to find a genuine haunted house? Spot spooky apparitions at the Haunted Mortuary, a sprawling, neo-classical mansion built in 1872, which boasts nine resident ghosts. Or, be guided through historic cemeteries where the city’s unique aboveground tombs, stone sarcophagi and massive headstones mark burial sites for New Orleans’ deceased. Take a combined cemetery and voodoo tour to learn about the religion of voodoo: its West African origins, Catholic influences and modern-day practice. Be sure to tour St. Louis Cemetery No. 1 where you can make an offering at the final resting place of New Orleans’ most powerful Voodoo Queen, Marie Laveau.

4. Carriage Tours
Whether you’re looking to add a bit of romance to your trip or want to experience the Old World ambiance of New Orleans, a carriage tour is the perfect way to take in the sights and learn about the city’s intriguing history. Enjoy the clip-clopping of hooves while meandering through the streets of the French Quarter, viewing Jackson Square, Bourbon Street and other iconic landmarks. Or, head uptown into the Garden District to admire the amazing collection of live oaks and antebellum mansions. You can arrange for a pickup at your hotel or bed and breakfast, or head to Jackson Square where you’ll easily find carriages ready and waiting on Decatur Street.

5. Riverboat Tours
Step aboard the regal Creole Queen or Steamboat Natchez for a paddlewheel ride down the Mississippi River. Choose from a romantic evening with a dinner and jazz cruise, or experience riverfront history with the Chalmette Battlefield cruise, which disembarks at the site of the 1815 Battle of New Orleans and tours historical combat sites.

6. Cocktail Tours
New Orleans has a long lineage of libations, from the Sazerac to the French 75 to the Hurricane. Learn about local cocktail culture and heritage on a walking tour where you’ll taste-test alcoholic creations from the French Quarter’s best watering holes. Or go right to the source with a tour and tasting at Celebration Distillation, the oldest premium rum distillery in the United States.

7. Hollywood South
Hop on the Original New Orleans Movie Tours bus and experience the city through its filmmaking legacy. Visit New Orleans' historic landmarks and other locations beloved by filmmakers in neighborhoods across the city. You’ll get the inside scoop on productions such as David Simon’s “Treme” and “The Curious Case of Benjamin Button” starring Brad Pitt. Maybe you'll get to see a movie being filmed right before your very eyes!"unquote

BG
This is great BG....definitely will review when I start thinking about "what to do" in NO. Having been there several times, we have taken a few tours and loved all of them. There is no place like NOLA! Thank you for taking the time to share!
__________________
Kaz

"Life is too short. So, love the people who treat you right. Forget the ones who don't and believe that everything happens for a reason!"

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." (Albert Einstein)






Carnival Legend - 8/14
Carnival Dream - 1/14
Carnival Breeze - 3/13
MSC Poesia - 12/12
Carnival Dream - 9/12
Carnival Dream - 11/11
Ruby Princess - 9/11
Carnival Miracle - 01/11 B2B 02/11
Royal Caribbean Monarch of the Seas - 5/16
Norwegian Spirit - 04/10
Carnival Pride - 04/09
Carnival Miracle - 9/07
Carnival Spirit - 10/06
Norwegian Wind - 3/05
Norwegian Sun - 2/04
Norwegian Sky - 2/03
Norwegian Dream
Norwegian Leeward
Splendor of the Seas
Zenith
Olympia
Homeric
Atlantic
Doric
Franconia
Reply With Quote

  #20  
Old June 20th, 2011, 10:43 AM
Uniall's Avatar
Uniall Uniall is offline
10,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: chicago
Posts: 11,979
Default

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdoeringer
I have an idea about New York & New Orleans. We plan to fly in on Friday and that is an all day flight as we would fly out of Los Angeles. Our plane will probably get in about 5-7 PM. We plan to sight see on Saturday and then go to the ship about 11 AM on Sunday.

If we do the group hotel accomodations that is being thought about, why not look into chartering busses for a city tour of New York? They could pick us up at the hotels and drop us back there. I checked Gray Line and they will not pick anyone up and you need to be at their terminal to pick up the tours. This is just an idea and might even be cheaper.

This could also be done in New Orleans and combine the Katrina and city tour in one.

The group that is going to look for hotels could also do this arrangement.

Pete & Gretchen
Great suggestion. I'll repost it on the Big Apple to Big Easy Forum's sister threads for both the New York pre cruise and New Orleans post cruise activities.


John
__________________
.
NCL Latitudes Member: Platinum
RCI Crown & Anchor Member: Diamond

Completed Cruises
Jan '89 Premier pre Disney Oceanic, Baham; May '95 Regal Empress, Mex; Apr '96 Regal Empress, Carib; Jan '06 RCI Radiance of Seas, West Carib; Aug '06 NCL Sun, Alas; Oct '07 NCL Pride of Aloha Hawaii; Feb '08 HAL Westerdam, Irish Theme, Carib; Nov '08 NCL Jade, Med.; Apr '09 NCL Jewel, TA, Miami/Dover; May '09 NCL Jewel, Dover/Baltic; Oct '09 NCL Jewel, New Eng & Can; Nov '09 NCL Jewel, South Carib; Nov '09 NCL Jewel, Baham; Apr '10 NCL Spirit, NOLA/Boston; Sep '10 NCL Pearl, Vanc'ver, Can./LA; Sep '10 NCL Pearl, LA/Pan Canal/Miami; Oct '10 NCL Pearl, Baham; Oct '10 NCL Pearl, West Carib; May '11 NCL Epic, TA, Miami/Barcelona; Oct '11 NCL Jade: Rome/Eastern Med/Rome; Oct '11 RCI Mariner: Rome/Eastern Med/TA/Carib/Galveston; Dec '11 NCL Dawn, Miami/Carib; Apr '12 RCI Majesty, Miami/Carib; Apr '12 RCI Grandeur, Miami/Carib/ TA/Malaga, Spain; Oct '12 NCL Star, NYC/Carib/NOLA; Apr '13 NCL Star, NOLA/TA/Copenhagen; May '13 NCL Star, Copenhagen/Baltic/Copenhagen; Dec '13 NCL Gem, NYC/Carib/NYC; April/May '14 RCI Brilliance Tampa/TA/Harwich UK; May/Jun '14 RubyPrincess: Southampton/Irish & English Channels/Southampton; Oct '14 NCL Sun, LA/Pan Canal/Tampa; Oct '14 NCL Sun, Tampa/Western Carib/Tampa;

Booked Future Cruises
Apr '15 RCCL Radiance: Sydney, AUS/South Pacific/ Honolulu; May '15 RCCL Radiance: Honolulu/Hawaiian Isles/Vancouver, CAN; Oct '15:NCL Sun: SanDiego/Mex Riviera/San Diego; Nov '15 NCL Escape Miami Eastern Carib; Nov '15 RC Independence, Ft Laud/Southern Carib; Nov '15 RC Independence, Ft Laud/Westrn Carib
Reply With Quote

Reply

Bookmarks


Ad Sponsored By
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:18 PM.


© 1995 - 2014, The Independent Traveler, Inc. All rights reserved.
"A Community of People Who Love To Cruise"
All of the information contained within Cruise Critic is protected by copyright. You may, however, download a single copy only for your personal use.