A must pack item for AK cruise tour???

napunani

We were on SB cruise 8/17 (with five days land before) and had rain pretty much everyday (except the day that really counted .... Mt. McKinley!), so my must pack item was a good raincoat! I got mine at REI...it was perfect. Bring layers (this board is so correct about that!), and gloves and some type of head covering. I had two fleece jackets and fleece vests, four pants, two capris, half long sleeve, half short sleeve shirts, and that pretty much worked! Never did wear my rain paints (although probably should have a couple of days). Also, good socks that repel water, and definitely invest in hiking boots....regular tennis shoes really won't cut it, especially if you want to hike/walk much at all!

8/12/11 - 8/24/11 Best tips we got from this board:

1. battery night light (candle battery operated)

2. power strip

3. good easy to travel with rain coat and rain pants. Only wore the pants once but very happy to have them.

4. good walking shoes. We got ours from LLBean and they were water resistant. Best investment we made

5. We had the LLBean Storm Jackets with the fleece lining that is removeable and water resistant outside. We never separated them and wore them most days.

6. Over the door toiletry and medication holder. We had 2 of them and they hung in the closet and kept the sink area clear and everything was handy when we did the 5 day land tour.

7. Adventure Bound 10 hour Sawyer Glacier tour out of Juneau.

8. Tundra Wilderness Tour. EXCELLENT!!!!

9. gallon size zip lock bag with the corner cut out for my camera lens. It rained just about everyday in port.

10. Prime Rib dinner on the train. EXCELLENT best we have ever had.:D

11. This board rocks and all the information was spot on. THANK YOU EVERYONE!!!!

My DD's wasn't really even water resistant and I somehow failed to notice that before we left.

Also, we brought extra sneakers in case one set got really wet, but didn't bring hiking boots, since our plans didn't really include hiking. Due to some cancellations we almost went hiking -- but didn't have decent footwear. If I did it again, I would have ditched the second sneakers and brought hiking boots instead.

Also, highlighters (one color for each person in the cabin) to highlight the days activities you want to do on the ship's daily activities list. They cram a lot of info on those lists and I found it really helpful to highlight what I wanted to do, and then could find it quickly when it was time to dash off to the next thing.

Happy cruising!

1. RAIN GEAR - WATERPROOF jacket, gloves and pants - not water resistant

2. Waterproof boots and socks

3. Power strip and extension cord

4. Bagellini Travel Bag -- Best $35 bucks I have spent on Amazon!

5. Toursaver Coupon book and Northern Lights Coupon Book - saved hundreds of dollars!

6. Simple formal wear - no one even cares or looks at what you are wearing - not like a Carribean or Panama canal cruise

7. Good Binoculars

8. The best camera you can afford with the BEST Zoom lens you can afford! Lots of Memory sticks and at least 3 batteries - you will go thru them like you will not believe - especially batteries!

9. Book your tours and especially your car rentals as far in advance as possible - you will save hundreds and not be left out of tours you want to go on!

1. RAIN GEAR - WATERPROOF jacket, gloves and pants - not water resistant

2. Waterproof boots and socks

3. Power strip and extension cord

4. Bagellini Travel Bag -- Best $35 bucks I have spent on Amazon!

5. Toursaver Coupon book and Northern Lights Coupon Book - saved hundreds of dollars!

6. Simple formal wear - no one even cares or looks at what you are wearing - not like a Carribean or Panama canal cruise

7. Good Binoculars

8. The best camera you can afford with the BEST Zoom lens you can afford! Lots of Memory sticks and at least 3 batteries - you will go thru them like you will not believe - especially batteries!

9. Book your tours and especially your car rentals as far in advance as possible - you will save hundreds and not be left out of tours you want to go on!

I'd start with number 8 (camera). Anything else you can buy there if you forget.

This is the exact type of question I was just going to post. We leave from Vancouver to Wittier next Friday. I am looking at rain pants... I have a rain jacket, etc. They range from $12 to $190... any suggestions? I saw a pair of Columbia rain pants for $42. Is it worth it?

I don't know how I forgot these two items, because I had to buy them in Haines: a hat that covers your ears (like a knit cap) and a pair of gloves.

We were there in June and had hardly any rain at all, but I understand we were very lucky. Cousins went with us and had rainpants, I did not and did not miss them. I think some of what you need to bring depends on the types of excursions you book. ie: they went on a helicopter to the glacier. We went on a boat and city tour. Only day it rained was Ketchikan and it wasn't bad enough to wear rain pants. I had a hooded rain jacket that was more than sufficient and DH had a collapsable umbrella.

This is the exact type of question I was just going to post. We leave from Vancouver to Wittier next Friday. I am looking at rain pants... I have a rain jacket, etc. They range from $12 to $190... any suggestions? I saw a pair of Columbia rain pants for $42. Is it worth it?

I have a White Sierra pair from Sierra Trading--haven't worn them in the rain yet but they are well made.

This appears to be the fashion thread for rain gear. We were at Fred Meyer last night and they had a Coleman hooded rain coat with pants for $9.99. Waterproof. Anything else and you're paying for the brand and any bells and whistles like a plethora of pockets and zippers.

Edited by Chilkoot

This appears to be the fashion thread for rain gear. We were at Fred Meyer last night and they had a Coleman hooded rain coat with pants for $9.99. Waterproof. Anything else and you're paying for the brand and any bells and whistles like a plethora of pockets and zippers.

I'm not familiar with the brand, but if you're buying it in Alaska, it's probably more like what you really need. Only thing I disagree with is the plethora of pockets and zippers....being of the female persuasion, I love my pockets:D

seriously, it was great having a rain jacket that would enable me to keep my wallet and camera dry in a zippered pocket because the only day it rained it rained a lot!

I'm not familiar with the brand, but if you're buying it in Alaska, it's probably more like what you really need. Only thing I disagree with is the plethora of pockets and zippers....being of the female persuasion, I love my pockets:D

seriously, it was great having a rain jacket that would enable me to keep my wallet and camera dry in a zippered pocket because the only day it rained it rained a lot!

OK, OK! I confess, I have one of those hooded raincoats with all the pockets and zippers. :) Guess my point is: Don't spend a ton of money on something you're going to use for just a week or two. A dollar poncho works fine. The only thing Coleman I have is my camping tent.

Travel mug with a lid - lifesaver for those early morning coffees wandering around the ship, watching the scenery, and waiting for the world to wake up. Of course, waterproof jacket is a must, waterproof shoes are great too. We always take a battery operated candle as well to use as a nightlight in the bathroom. No need to wake your cabin mates for those late night bathroom breaks. Extra batteries for camera. Great binoculars are a must - one for each person.

And most important - a wonderful attitude about the weather - if it rains, so be it. If you're prepared, it won't matter a lick. Anticipate the worst and hope for the best. Keep that upbeat attitude for all those little things that can and will go wrong, let it roll of your back, and just enjoy the beauty of Alaska. Enjoy!

Waterproof rain jacket with a hood. This will be sufficient in most cases. I live in the Seattle area and do not own rain pants. In 4 trips to Alaska, I have never felt the need for them. Of course, I am used to the rain and it doesn't bother me much. You may have a different tolerance level for getting slightly wet.

Binoculars. So many times we've been standing on deck with our binoculars watching whales in the distance, spotting bald eagles in the trees, etc. while others just stand there saying, "Where?! I can't see it!"

Sunscreen. I forgot mine (did intend to pack, but forgot) two years ago and had to buy on board an an exorbitant price. Yes, it can be sunny, and I did get burned as we sailed away from Seattle that year. I needed it that whole trip, the weather was so gorgeous. I haven't needed it as much in other years, but have used it here and there. I wouldn't go without it. (Sunglasses too, for same reason!)

Make up a small first aid kit and put it in a zip lock bag. That way you have all emergancy items in one spot.

Warm socks that are moisture resistant (nothing in this world is water proof). My DS told me about a brand called "SmartWool". They wick the moisture away from your feet and feet stay dry, also very warm. You can usually find them at a large sporting goods store - here in MN it is usually Gander Mountain or Sports Authority. Best purchase in socks I have ever made.

Layers of clothes. That way, if cold can put on layers - if the weather gets warm, at least have a t-shirt or two to wear.

Binoculars - a definate must. a pair for each of you.

Camera chargers (if camera battery is rechargeable). We forgot ours the first time. Batteries for everything else.

Battery operated night lights are nice - but in the bath room - don't turn on unless the lights are turned on. Instead take a small pen sized flash light.

A sense of humor is very important and remember that no matter if it rains or not, you are in one of the most beautiful parts of the world. ENJOY!!!!

Previous Cruises:

Alaska - Westerdam - September 2009

Alaska- Rotterdam - September 2010

Mexican Riveria - Oosterdam - April 2011

Future Cruises:

2012 - Alaska - 14 day cruise

2013 - Eastern Med - 28 day (includes cruising Black Sea)

.....Camera chargers (if camera battery is rechargeable). We forgot ours the first time. Batteries for everything else.
We keep a spare battery charger in the suitcase and don't unpack it. Started doing that as a "just in case" backup after we found battery chargers that previous guests had left behind plugged into hotel room walls several times.

Would hate to be sailing away from port and realize that I had left my battery charger behind in our hotel room.

Battery operated night lights are nice - but ........ Instead take a small pen sized flash light.
That's what we do too. We like our room dark at night and don't want to have a night light on so we keep a small flashlight on each nightstand.

The flashlight can be aimed directly where you want the light, good for finding something in a drawer or cupboard in the middle of the night without needing to turn on lights and wake the other person. It comes in handy when out walking or driving after dark too, or for reading menus in dimly lit restaurants.