Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Caribbean > Progreso/Merida (Mexico)

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old June 28th, 2008, 02:12 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Progreso is AWESOME!!!

I sailed Carnival Holiday June 21, 2008 and Progreso was one of our ports. I have to say that after reading reviews, I was a little skeptical.
However, once we got there we realized that this is indeed the real Mexico and we had a blast!!!
We took the free bus from the pier into the market area. Once there, we rode the double decker bus for only 2 bucks. They take you along a 20-25 min tour of Progreso. We then walked to Corona beach where we got 40 min massages on the beach for only 20 bucks! These were awesome and I highly recommend doing this. If you wait until later in the day after everyone begins to leave, they will do them for 2 for 1. After our massage, we did the banana boat ride for $5 dollars each. This was fun! We then rented beach chairs for $2 each, but I think if you sit under the umbrellas you don't have to pay. We ordered margaritas and had a blast. Although, the water isn't very clear, the beach is still very nice.
I did get a sting while in the water of Corona beach. I'm not sure what it was (Jelly Fish, Star Fish, etc.) I wasn't very far out, when something snuck up and stung me on my toe. It was very painful!! My husband helped me out of the water and I did bleed pretty bad and my toe did have a bit of swelling. It was okay after a day or so.
Overall, Progeso is a great port and we are planning on taking a land vacation there. If you want souvenirs we found that the bargaining is easier in Progeso than Cozumel. Don't be put off by all the negative reviews, go to Progreso and enjoy yourself!!

Old June 28th, 2008, 02:34 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Cool

Kay. So glad you enjoyed your day in Progreso. You're right; no phony glitz in the Yucatan State. Thankfullly.

Last edited by hdawson; June 28th, 2008 at 02:35 PM.

Old July 1st, 2008, 11:32 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Progreso is Awesome

When you go to the beach, you can get free chairs at any of the resturants, If you go about 2 blocks from the start of the beach you will find Buddy's resturant. The food is great, all USDA meat and the kitchen is clean and they use purified water for everything. The owner is a Dutch guy and his wife is Mexican and he speaks english. Great food and great time to be had. They have tables on the beach, and have lounge (beach chairs).

Old July 1st, 2008, 07:05 PM
Cool Cruiser

Do you have any pics of Buddy's? I've only heard good things about it. Thanks.

Old July 1st, 2008, 10:52 PM
Cool Cruiser

Try this: http://www.yucatantoday.com/culture/eng-rotm-04-08.htm

I dream of a world where a chicken can cross a road and not have it's motives questioned.

Carnival Ecstasy 9/6/08
Carnival Ecstasy 9/17/07
Carnival Ecstasy 10/02/06
Carnival Elation 10/03/05
USS Kitty Hawk (CV-63) '84-'86
USS Hunley (AS-31) '83-'84

Getting to Death safely and quietly is not what life is all about.

Ad Sponsored By
Old September 21st, 2008, 10:32 AM
5,000+ Club

okay, here is the dumb question of the day...considering Corona beach or Reef Club..I am sure Reef Club has bathrooms....what about the Corona beach area near Buddys? Sorry..girls need this info!

Old September 21st, 2008, 12:18 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Cool

All the beaches in Progreso are free and public. No need to go to something called Carona Beach.

Old September 21st, 2008, 05:26 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Bathrooms

Yes all the restaurants on the beach have bathrooms, some will charge you a few pesos if you are not eating/drinking at that resturant, others will not charge. There really is no such thing as Corona Beach in Progreso. The beach is all public, the name Corona Beach came about because Corona (the beer Company) has a restuarant on the beach and sell of course Corona beer. Try all the Bars/restuarants along the beach (malecon). Most will have covered tables on the beach and will serve you there. Some have beach lounge chairs for use if you are drinking/eating there.
Enjoy your stay in Progreso, It is the real Mexico.

Old September 22nd, 2008, 08:10 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by utahcousin View Post
Yes all the restaurants on the beach have bathrooms, some will charge you a few pesos if you are not eating/drinking at that resturant, others will not charge. There really is no such thing as Corona Beach in Progreso. The beach is all public, the name Corona Beach came about because Corona (the beer Company) has a restuarant on the beach and sell of course Corona beer. Try all the Bars/restuarants along the beach (malecon). Most will have covered tables on the beach and will serve you there. Some have beach lounge chairs for use if you are drinking/eating there.
Enjoy your stay in Progreso, It is the real Mexico.
thanks!

Old October 31st, 2008, 01:41 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Corona

How far down is the Corona Restaurant? My son who isnt going on the cruise with us, loves the Corona T-shirts....does the restuarant have a gift shop?

Previous cruises
CCL Holiday Jan 3, 2009
CCL Holiday Jan 5, 2008
RCCL SOS Dec. 2003
Disney Magic Dec 1999

Old October 31st, 2008, 03:44 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Cool

Buy the tee shirts anywhere.

Old November 1st, 2008, 10:28 PM
Cool Cruiser

We were in Progreso last month and I agree that it is a fun stop. The 4 mile pier is interesting. We did take the $2 open top bus (watch out for the low hanging wires; they're serious about that warning!). Afterwards, we walked over to the beach area, had lunch at Buddy's, and then waded in the water for a few minutes before walking back to the pier bus stop.

Glitz and fancy shops are not to be found! But that's okay. The area is trying to become tourist-y and it will take awhile. But, it's fun as it is.

Old November 1st, 2008, 11:02 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Cool

The4Cruisers. I honestly don't think the local residents ever want to be another Cozumel or Cancun. They really are a warm and happy people that are pretty content without the phony glitz.

Merida has a pretty healthy tourist trade, but more European (and even Asians) visiting than US. Americans are more attracted to the pure touristy areas and not interested in foreign culture or history. Even said, Merida and the Yucatan State do not depend on tourism for their existance.

Old November 2nd, 2008, 02:25 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks for the review of Progesso,, I have heard so many bad things about the place ..I was beginning dread our cruise coming up in Feb...I must agree it is in what you make of the trip that makes it great not the place.....we went to Kaui Hawaii a few years ago..and it was the best trip we had ever taken.. so we went back last X-mas and stayed on the other side of the island and it was dreadful....I only wished we had stayed at the same place as the first time... what do they say..."live and learn" well I have learned....stick with what you know.....

Carnival Dream 5/2011
Disney Cruise Wonder 4/2010
Carnival Fantasy 5/2009
Carnival Liberty 2/2009
Castle Kiahuna Plantation Bungalows Kaui, 12/2007
Carnival Holiday 5/2007
Norweigian 3/2006
Royal Caribbean Granduer of the Seas 12/2005
Disney Cruise Wonder 12/2004
Aston Islander Kaui, Hawaii 12/2003
Sandals Resort Montego Bay, Jamaica 12/2002
Carnival Cruise Fantasy 12/2001

Old November 3rd, 2008, 03:12 PM
Cool Cruiser

They don't want any phony glitz, yet they will set up tacky tourist stands every two feet to make money.

Please.

Old November 3rd, 2008, 04:19 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Cool

Agrip. You begrudge their efforts to feed their families? By comparison, have you been to Nassau, Cozumel, St Thomas, St Maarten or anyother cruise ports? Progreso and Merida don't even compare. BTW, if the visitor's were'nt interested in tee shirts, and other trinkets, do you think for one minute those vendors would waste their time?

Old November 4th, 2008, 02:10 AM
Cool Cruiser

Well said H.

I dream of a world where a chicken can cross a road and not have it's motives questioned.

Carnival Ecstasy 9/6/08
Carnival Ecstasy 9/17/07
Carnival Ecstasy 10/02/06
Carnival Elation 10/03/05
USS Kitty Hawk (CV-63) '84-'86
USS Hunley (AS-31) '83-'84

Getting to Death safely and quietly is not what life is all about.

Old November 4th, 2008, 10:32 AM
Cool Cruiser

Smile

Progreso is beautiful and lively. Don't listen to the haters--get off the boat and enjoy a truly unique seaside town.

Carnival Conquest 9/13/2009
Voyager of the Seas 1/25/09
Carnival Ecstasy 5/12/08

Old November 4th, 2008, 08:05 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girlfiend View Post
Progreso is beautiful and lively. Don't listen to the haters--get off the boat and enjoy a truly unique seaside town.
I concur. We have been to Progreso 3 times and found something different to do each trip. I would go back in a minute.

Celebration: Dec: 2002
Elation: Dec. 2003
Elation: Jan. 2005
Elation: Feb. 6, 2006
Grand Princess: Nov. 25, 2006
Splendour of the Seas: March 26, 2007
Holiday: Dec. 3, 2007
Holiday: Dec. 1, 2008
Valor: Nov. 29, 2009
Elation: Jan. 9, 2011
Valor: Jan. 29, 2012
Destiny: April 2012
Navigator of the Seas: Dec. 1, 2012
Victory May 13, 2013
Jewel: Dec. 8, 2013

Old November 4th, 2008, 10:53 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Cool

agrip. I've been wondering what ruins you explored? ? ? ?