Shopping in Japan

Lady Slipper

Can anyone tell me what they bought in Japan that would be nice gifts to bring home. I was especially wondering about silk scarves and what I can expect to pay for them.

I tried searching the internet and not coming up with much on pricing. There`s lots on clothes shopping but that doesn`t interest me.

If you are looking for something that is more traditional then Kyoto is the best spot to shop. It has been several years since I was there, but the more traditional was readily available in Kyoto. The best part is that it is locally made. I am still wearing the happy coat that I bought. Good quality.

If you are looking for something that is more traditional then Kyoto is the best spot to shop. It has been several years since I was there, but the more traditional was readily available in Kyoto. The best part is that it is locally made. I am still wearing the happy coat that I bought. Good quality.

What is a "happy coat"? I have read that Kimonos are quite pricey but a Kukata is quite reasonable.

We will be having a little time in Yokahama the day we are to board our cruise and then we have a day in Hakodate and a day in Sapporo. Yokahama has a Silk Museum really close to the pier, I hope to have time to check that out.

What is a "happy coat"? I have read that Kimonos are quite pricey but a Kukata is quite reasonable.

We will be having a little time in Yokahama the day we are to board our cruise and then we have a day in Hakodate and a day in Sapporo. Yokahama has a Silk Museum really close to the pier, I hope to have time to check that out.

Depending on the design, kimono's can range from a few hundred to thousands of dollars. You can pick up cheaper cotton fabric clothes at most of the stops.

You can also get the same or similar clothes in J-Town in Los Angeles, Little Tokyo in San Francisco, or the "Japan" pavilion at Walt Disney World's EPCOT World Showcase":-)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Depending on the design, kimono's can range from a few hundred to thousands of dollars. You can pick up cheaper cotton fabric clothes at most of the stops.

You can also get the same or similar clothes in J-Town in Los Angeles, Little Tokyo in San Francisco, or the "Japan" pavilion at Walt Disney World's EPCOT World Showcase":-)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you Duane T,

Most likely look for the cotton ones. I will see when I get there :)

In terms of food, we've brought home customized mixes of shichimi pepper, green tea, crackers, etc to give away. On the somewhat tackier side, we've also brought back fridge magnets in the shape of nigiri sushi, ninja stars, etc. :)

We did a lot of shopping in Japan because it was the end of our trip: yukata, cotton summer kimono (Oriental Bazaar in Tokyo had lots for about $40 and they sell them by height of the wearer), a kitchen knife and a silk wrap (around $50 for a beautiful double-sided one) and children's training chopsticks. They even sell left handed pairs. Also a lunch box (bento box) with all the different compartments. Wide range of sizes and prices. Try a department store. And duty-free sake!

Great to get some insider info on shopping in Japan. I will be on Diamond Princess later this year and this info, especially with prices is really helpful.

I do want to buy green tea, but tacky fridge magnets will make great presents!!:D

Thanks, posters, keep the tips coming!

Great to get some insider info on shopping in Japan. I will be on Diamond Princess later this year and this info, especially with prices is really helpful.

I do want to buy green tea, but tacky fridge magnets will make great presents!!:D

Thanks, posters, keep the tips coming!

Yes thank you to everyone for the information. We don`t like to spend too much time shopping. We want to get to see as much as we can as we may never get back there. But we also like bringing some gifts back too. So hearing of what others have bought and having an idea of what they paid helps. With knowing that we can say... hmm that`s a fair price, I don`t think I`ll bother looking any further.

Thank you again :)

• 2 weeks later...

I know everybody emails each other nowadays, but the stationery in Japan is gorgeous. Beautiful writing paper and matching envelopes. Even if you don't buy, browsing in a stationery shop is a pleasure.

My exchange student from Japan gifted us with a beautiful doll in traditional wooden head shape that had a paper scroll in the bottom kimono area. It was often for Brides and best wishes were recorded on the paper as a keepsake. This doll went to school and all the girl's friends in AFS signed the Japanese girl's doll as a keepsake of her time in Maryland. I would love to find that. I now have 6 beautiful dolls from various trips by family. They make lovely gifts. Come in all sizes. Each region has different decorations and coloring.

Edited by Bowie MeMe

If you find a beautiful scarf or piece of fabric/or needlework, custom framing of the scarf or fabric makes a wonderful wall piece. Do the framing in USA -- the scarf/fabric weights almost nothing to carry home.

• 2 weeks later...

Little dishes are light, easy to stack and can be used for anything back home.

Also they have shops like the dollar store, not sure what you call them in the USA but we call them $2 or 2 bucks stores in Australia. The shops when I was last in Japan were starting to take off, there was even one at the Osaka airport. They were 100yen stores at the time but that was a few years ago so prices may have gone up a little since then. They weren't places to buy a souvenier for your most nearest and dearest but where great to buy things for young children. Lots of chopsticks, little containers with various Japanese characters on the lids, lunch boxes etc. Ladies handkerchiefs are beautiful and easily available but not many ladies these days seem to use handkerchiefs. You can certainly get the good old fridge magnet at a 100 yen store.

Enjoy Japan, I love it, so safe, so easy to get around, and so spotlessly clean. If you need help ask someone in the late teens onwards and the chances are they will be pretty much able to understand and help you. They do understand written English easier than spoken, guess it has to do with accent so if you are stuck write your question on a piece of paper. If you are looking for reasonable accommodation post or pre cruise check out the business hotels. they are not 5 star but are always very close in location to the railway stations and have all you need for a good night sleep. Be warned though the hotel rooms are very very very small, but spotlessly clean and always have a little water heater for green tea in the room.

Railway stations can be huge, it can be a 10 minute walk to get out of the station so make sure you allow a lot of time to get to your platform and in and out. All stations have many many shops and restaurants and often tourist info centres. My sister a few years ago left her handbag, containing her camera, passport, money etc etc etc on a seat at Shin Osaka station. We were half way to Kyoto when she decided to take a photo and realised it was all missing. Off the train and backtracking dreading what was ahead of us in regard to replacing passport etc etc and sure enough some kind person had handed it to the information centre. The Japanese are a lovely considerate rate, and I think a generation or two behind us. They still have respect for other people and property. It is quite the norm to leave your shopping in the bike basket while you go in to do more shopping and nothing would be missing when you return.