Tracy Arm Fjords

choff

The wife and I are set to board the Explorer next Friday(16th) for our Alaska cruise, I have been watching numerous ships that are scheduled to visit Tracy Arm, but keep going to Endicott instead. Is Tracy Arm getting close to being able to navigate ? We are set to visit there the 20th and were really looking forward to seeing.

Hoping in the next two weeks they are able to travel in,

Doesn't look to terrible but I am not a captain either, we didn't book an excursion because I figured by now we would be seeing large ships going in,

Looks amazing though

Doesn't look to terrible but I am not a captain either, we didn't book an excursion because I figured by now we would be seeing large ships going in,

Looks amazing though

Last year, large ships didn't make it until August. One year, my July 4th cruise went to Endicott Arm.

We are scheduled to go to Tracy Arm this July, and I'm actually kind of hoping we will go to Endicott instead. We've been to Tracy Arm 3 times and only really got close to the glacier once. The other two times, we could only barely see it in the distance. I'd rather go to Endicott and have a good chance of seeing Dawes glacier than have another poor glimpse of Sawyer glacier.

A couple of more pictures from our Adventure Bound trip. Obviously the large ships cannot maneuver through and around the ice like the smaller boats.b5c8a143151c1250a0267901f561c45a.jpg68a1274982deebb280292297520ac421.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you for sharing your pictures!! We are sailing with Adventure Bound June 13. I am so looking forward this this tour!!

Made it all the way to Sawyer Glacier today but only one mile away from South Sawyer Glacier. We passed one ice chunk that was bigger than our 42-passenger boat.

Saw humpback whales, lots of sea lions barking at each other, seals with pups, and a black bear mother with cub.

The Allen Marine crew served a great box lunch with pasta, turkey sandwich, chips, and an incredible cookie, all inclusive.

The bright blue chunks of ice make great photographs.

We are scheduled to go to Tracy Arm this July, and I'm actually kind of hoping we will go to Endicott instead. We've been to Tracy Arm 3 times and only really got close to the glacier once. The other two times, we could only barely see it in the distance. I'd rather go to Endicott and have a good chance of seeing Dawes glacier than have another poor glimpse of Sawyer glacier.

This is a good point, I would much rather be able to get close to the glacier, rather then having to you the binoculars to catch a glimpse of one,

Made it all the way to Sawyer Glacier today but only one mile away from South Sawyer Glacier. We passed one ice chunk that was bigger than our 42-passenger boat.

Saw humpback whales, lots of sea lions barking at each other, seals with pups, and a black bear mother with cub.

The Allen Marine crew served a great box lunch with pasta, turkey sandwich, chips, and an incredible cookie, all inclusive.

The bright blue chunks of ice make great photographs.

Was this from the ship? If so, what time did you get back and where do they drop you off? back on the ship? or on the dock? Thanks.

We went with Adventure Bound almost 3 weeks ago and made it to both North and South Sawyer Glacier. I can't speak to the larger ships. fe94c742f396c28198898d2dcf7bb765.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was on your cruise, and also on Adventure Bound that day! Were you with the Cruise Critic group on the larger boat or the smaller one?

I was on your cruise, and also on Adventure Bound that day! Were you with the Cruise Critic group on the larger boat or the smaller one?

I know AB has 2 boats - did they send both out that day?

Yes. A gentleman on our CC roll call thread organized a group of us on the Captain Cook with Captain Melissa, and Captain Steve had the Adventure Bound.

Was this from the ship? If so, what time did you get back and where do they drop you off? back on the ship? or on the dock? Thanks.

The excursion was through Holland America Line. We returned to the Allen Marine dock at 5:45, abut a 10-minute walk to the Mt Roberts Tram. A bus was available but I chose walking instead so that I could shop for fudge at the Alaska Fudge Company.

When we went on June 1st AB sent out both boats, we were on Captain Cook with Captain Melissa. We went up very close to the North Sawyer Glacier............but only got to peek at the South Sawyer, way to much ice to go in. Like everyone says conditions can change hourly depending how much calving is going on.

Weather conditions can change just as fast, rain alittle bit on the way there. Just dress warmly if you want to be outside for most of the trip, but they do have warm seating inside out of the weather in which you can see pretty good.

I dressed in a pair of jeans, long underwear top. 2 hoodies and rain gear over top of that, which included rain jacket and rain pants. I was comfortably warm for the entire trip. Only thing I would have done different was bring somekind of water proof gloves. I just brought regular gloves which got wet when holding my camera up for pictures.

Jimbo:)

Edited by Jimbo

We're scheduled to visit Tracy Arm on July 3 and are on a Glacier Explorer excursion. If we go to Endicott instead, do they cancel the excursion completely or shift it to Endicott?

If you go up into Endicott Arm the small boat tour will pick you up in Endicott Arm. They will not cancel the excursion. Your chances of going up into Tracy Arm are pretty good on July 3rd.

If you go up into Endicott Arm the small boat tour will pick you up in Endicott Arm. They will not cancel the excursion. Your chances of going up into Tracy Arm are pretty good on July 3rd.

Not sure about that. The small boat will follow where the large ship goes. Last year, it wasn't until August that ships got into Tracy Arm. I have gone 2x in July and missed Tracy Arm both time. I would say there is a 50/50 chance.