3 new ships (not 2!)

moki'smommy

I'm not sure how you can delete it, but if you hit the little ! in the triangle, you can ask the mods to delete it. If you are still within the edit time frame, you can just do it thru edit--remove what you posted and not "deleted by poster."

I'm not sure how you can delete it' date=' but if you hit the little ! in the triangle, you can ask the mods to delete it. If you are still within the edit time frame, you can just do it thru edit--remove what you posted and not "deleted by poster."[/quote']

I'm on my phone and can't figure it out. Oh well. [emoji847] yay for three more Disney boats! This is when platinum status comes in handy. First crack at the inaugural sailing! (I hope!)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Having done a maiden voyage (which I define as the first cruise of a new ship with paying customers on board), you can have it. I understand that things have improved greatly in terms of having ship and crew ready for a full load of guests, but in 1998 they were a LONG way from ready! Since that adventure, we've always waited a few months before cruising on a new ship.

Having done a maiden voyage (which I define as the first cruise of a new ship with paying customers on board)' date=' you can have it. I understand that things have improved greatly in terms of having ship and crew ready for a full load of guests, but in 1998 they were a LONG way from ready! Since that adventure, we've always waited a few months before cruising on a new ship.[/quote']

Wow! Well hopefully that was due to never having experience in the cruising industry. I really just want the cool merchandise that come with it. :)

Do we know where these ships will be based? Any way one will be out of NY/NJ? Just curious about that.

Absolutely NO information yet other than projected launch dates. Nothing on names, home ports, projected cruises...the only thing is that it did say the fleet would be at 7 ships in 2023. This would imply that they are not immediately looking at retiring the classics. And they did say that the new ships will all be environmentally friendly (this affects which ports they are allowed to use) and that they will be bigger than the Dream/Fantasy.

Absolutely NO information yet other than projected launch dates. Nothing on names' date=' home ports, projected cruises...the only thing is that it did say the fleet would be at 7 ships in 2023. This would imply that they are not immediately looking at retiring the classics. And they did say that the new ships will all be environmentally friendly (this affects which ports they are allowed to use) and that they will be bigger than the Dream/Fantasy.[/quote']

Thank you for the reply. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. We really would love to take our son on a Disney cruise even though they are quite a bit more expensive than other cruises. Would be worth it just for him. He just turned 4.

Sent from my Pixel using Forums mobile app

Thank you for the reply. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. We really would love to take our son on a Disney cruise even though they are quite a bit more expensive than other cruises. Would be worth it just for him. He just turned 4.

Sent from my Pixel using Forums mobile app

The "is it worth it" question is always difficult. In fairness, I've done 30+ DCL cruises, but in the last few years have been exploring other lines. There are lots of reasons for that....no kids in the family, tired of the DCL itineraries, and the skyrocketing prices of DCL cruises. ALL lines are increasing prices, but DCL keeps pushing the envelope.

You can get some better prices if you can cruise "off season," (like when traditional schools are in session) or on relatively short notice (about 75 days or so).

Is your child really into Disney? Have you been to the parks and how did he react to that? We like the parks, but love the ships! If he's really into Star Wars or Marvel, you might consider one of those specialty cruises. There is not really a "bad" age for a DCL cruise, although 4-7 is a great time. If he is very shy, doesn't like characters, etc. I'd wait a year or so. On the other hand, if he loves Disney movies and is OK functioning around strangers with mom or dad in the vicinity....go for it. If I had a 5 year old, I'd be carefully selecting a DCL cruise. By that, I mean that I wouldn't just pick a date when I could get a few days off work. I'd likely go in September or the beginning of December and I'd choose a 7 night cruise on the Magic. BUT there are lots of personal preferences built into that sentence. I would not do a 3 night cruise--4 nights is my absolute minimum. We absolutely love the Magic and some of our favorite CMs are there. Early December will have all the Christmas decorations and activities and lower costs/fewer kids on board. September will be warm and fewer kids. There are LOTS of considerations!

Bottom line...with a kid....yeah, DCL is a great vacation.

My husband thinks with seven ships the price will come down bc they're saturating their market a little more.

In the first few years, people will want to cruise on the "new" ships. We might see a small price difference on the existing fleet. Price is always a matter of supply and demand, but DCL would not have exercised their option on the third ship if they didn't believe they could continue to essentially fill the entire fleet. They also have an option in the contract to have a 4th ship built. I don't expect any action on that until they get the first new one in service. I'm wondering if they are considering retiring the classics--the Magic is currently 19 years old and does not meet today's environmental standards. She'll be 25 when the last of the 3 builds comes out. Much as I hate the thought, at some point DCL will decide that it is a better financial decision to sell her than to continue to update her.

I'm guessing that they will add some new, exciting ports (perhaps Asia) with the classics as the new builds take over the established business. We did a cruise in Japan last year on another line...and Disney fanatics were everywhere. My daughter kept commenting on how much business they could do if they sent the Magic over there. They also have several theme parks in various countries in Asia that could make great tie-ins. People came to the various ports to see a ship that was not pretty--it was one of the big white hulks.

SO, if I had to make a guess....Magic to Asia, Wonder to continue Alaska and US west coast, Dream, Fantasy, and new ships doing US east coast/Caribbean, and Europe. I have NO inside information; this is purely a guess with a bit of wishing thrown in.

DCL has not begun to saturate their market. Perhaps they are nearing that point with the US market, but there is a big world out there with lots of Disney fans

In the first few years' date=' people will want to cruise on the "new" ships. We might see a small price difference on the existing fleet. Price is always a matter of supply and demand, but DCL would not have exercised their option on the third ship if they didn't believe they could continue to essentially fill the entire fleet. They also have an option in the contract to have a 4th ship built. I don't expect any action on that until they get the first new one in service. I'm wondering if they are considering retiring the classics--the Magic is currently 19 years old and does not meet today's environmental standards. She'll be 25 when the last of the 3 builds comes out. Much as I hate the thought, at some point DCL will decide that it is a better financial decision to sell her than to continue to update her.

I'm guessing that they will add some new, exciting ports (perhaps Asia) with the classics as the new builds take over the established business. We did a cruise in Japan last year on another line...and Disney fanatics were everywhere. My daughter kept commenting on how much business they could do if they sent the Magic over there. They also have several theme parks in various countries in Asia that could make great tie-ins. People came to the various ports to see a ship that was not pretty--it was one of the big white hulks.

SO, if I had to make a guess....Magic to Asia, Wonder to continue Alaska and US west coast, Dream, Fantasy, and new ships doing US east coast/Caribbean, and Europe. I have NO inside information; this is purely a guess with a bit of wishing thrown in.

DCL has not begun to saturate their market. Perhaps they are nearing that point with the US market, but there is a big world out there with lots of Disney fans[/quote']

i think you're right about retiring the classics...they probably make a lot more money per cruise on the big boats...

too bad, as i much prefer the smaller ones...

as for location, i sure hope it means they'll be in my neck of the woods more often...

it will save us a bundle not having to get to the US.......

Having done a maiden voyage (which I define as the first cruise of a new ship with paying customers on board)' date=' you can have it. I understand that things have improved greatly in terms of having ship and crew ready for a full load of guests, but in 1998 they were a LONG way from ready! Since that adventure, we've always waited a few months before cruising on a new ship.[/quote']

I remember reading about all the issues with maiden voyage. But, it was the very first sailing of DCL and hopefully they've learned a thing or two from that experience.

My husband thinks with seven ships the price will come down bc they're saturating their market a little more.

I could be wrong, but I don't see how they can fill 7 ships full-time charging the premium over the other lines that they do.

I could be wrong, but I don't see how they can fill 7 ships full-time charging the premium over the other lines that they do.

As popular as Shanghai Disney has been, I wouldn't be surprised if one (or two) ships are for the Asian market.

This is going to be a lot of changes with the DCL fleet with a total of 7 vessls. The present 4 vessels are already *Green* ships with most things state of the art/environmentally friendly. Something like all of the items used on the vessels from food waste to paper and cans, only 8 % goes ashore as waste. The rest is all set up to be recycled.

The big change with the 3 new ships is DCL is making the next step in environmentally with the propulsion fuel being liquid natural gas..........about the cleanest thing around for ships. I am also glad DCL did not go to the size of the monster vessels out there now.............I just don't like the look or feel of these things!. I also found it interesting the D 23 people were making a big deal about all kinds of new stuff on the 3 new vessels and new adventures, It should be interesting to see what they come up with.

The classics are in pretty good shape and not likely to be retired by Disney for 10 or 15 years. My own thoughts is that one classic will go to South American and the other to Europe full time One of the Dream or the new class going to the far east.

In any case it will be fun to watch this all unfold.

AKK

I remember reading about all the issues with maiden voyage. But, it was the very first sailing of DCL and hopefully they've learned a thing or two from that experience.

They've improved the guest experience with each new launch. They've learned to workout the "bugs" on the ship in advance (we had ALL the ice machines become non-functional, for instance), they've learned to schedule activities in ways that spread out passengers, and they've learned that they need to bring CMs on board well before the launch so that they are fully trained and ready to go. However, no matter what they do, there will always be a difference between a celebrity or charity shake down cruise with relatively few passengers and that first cruise with a full load.

My reading indicates that cruise ships have a useful life of about 40 years...I hope the Magic serves out that full life expectancy. Skipper is right--it will be interesting to see what happens. South America is certainly closer, but there is no real Disney presence there. Asia would be a bigger commitment to get there, but there are tie ins to the two Tokyo parks, Shanghai, etc. And it is an easier hop to Australia from Asia. LOTS of possibilities!

Wow! Well hopefully that was due to never having experience in the cruising industry. I really just want the cool merchandise that come with it. :)

From what I've read, it's not a bad idea to avoid the first sailing of any new ship from any company as well as the first sailing or two out of dry dock. It doesn't always have to do with new staff issues.

The Dream class can go though the new locks....Since the 3 new vessels will only be about 5' date='000 m/t bigger.........They should also be able to go though the new locks.

AKK[/quote']

As long as they don't build them too tall so they can't fit under the bridge of the Americas...