Casual Cruising?

mary2e

We've taken 1 cruise, and it was almost 20 years ago. While we love being at sea, we do not love the rules & regulations. For example, I wanted to sit by the pool and read after 6pm - which isn't allowed. At the time, the pools closed as people got ready for dinner. Is that still the case? Do we have to eat at an assigned time? Make a reservation?

We also do NOT want to dress more than casually - and by that I mean the dressiest would be neater shorts and a top. This is the main reason we have not cruised again. I looked into NCL's The Haven, it is pricey, but appears to meet our needs.

Are there any other lines we can/should look into?

It really is a shame that I haven't been able to find anything that does not have specific formal or even semi-formal evenings. For us, this is vacation and that means being casual and just doing what we like, when we like.

I don't know of any of the mass market lines that require you to leave the pool area at 6pm. Most have gone very casual. They may suggest a more formal dress, but it is rarely enforced anymore. They also have anytime dining, so you can eat when you want.

We've taken 1 cruise, and it was almost 20 years ago. While we love being at sea, we do not love the rules & regulations. For example, I wanted to sit by the pool and read after 6pm - which isn't allowed. At the time, the pools closed as people got ready for dinner. Is that still the case? Do we have to eat at an assigned time? Make a reservation?

We also do NOT want to dress more than casually - and by that I mean the dressiest would be neater shorts and a top. This is the main reason we have not cruised again. I looked into NCL's The Haven, it is pricey, but appears to meet our needs.

It really is a shame that I haven't been able to find anything that does not have specific formal or even semi-formal evenings. For us, this is vacation and that means being casual and just doing what we like, when we like.

I've never been on a ship that didn't allow you to sit on the pool deck (regardless if the pool was closed or not).

Most cruise lines do have assigned times for dinner. Some do not. Others have a combination of the two.

You will find in the last 20 years, rules are gone! It's all about how YOU want to vacation! "Formal" nights are merely suggestions, and decent casual clothing is fine, especially on NCL...they are the most "casual" line, followed by Carnival and RCI. If you still feel intimidated by those who do want to dress up on "elegant or chic" nights, there are lots of different eating venues nowadays...you are NOT limited to the main dining room!

NCL is "freestyle"...meaning do what you want, when you want. ALL of the other mainstream lines have a form of "anytime" dining, along with traditional seating...you choose which suits you best!

Cruising is now very casual: those lines which have dress codes state them really as "suggestions" - which many do not really follow, and there is minimal enforcement beyond the classic "no shirt, no shoes = no service".

"Neater shorts and a top" is what many, if not most, diners on NCL wear.

I'm with you, on many 7 day cruises I skip the main dining room on formal nights or in rare cases just pack a white shirt and tie. On our upcoming 4 day cruise decent pants and a shirt with collar will do. (We don't try to invade the Captain's reception)

Wow... thank you. Things certainly have changed. Re: the pool - yes, it was closed at dinner time :)

Anyway, what are the thoughts about Crystal and the other higher end lines?

Those will still have a more formal vibe with people dressing for dinner .

Pool decks are never closed. The pools might be. But late at night

Sent from my iPad using Forums

NCL is casual and Celebrity has an evening chic nights, instead of formal, and you can wear much more casual clothing, including jeans.

I'll weigh in on Carnival.

They are VERY casual. "Formal" evenings are now called "cruise elegant" and I have seen everything from nice jeans to cocktail dresses/tuxes. This is 1 evening on cruises of 6 nights or less and 2 on cruises of longer duration. If you didn't want to leave your shorts behind on cruise elegant evenings, there is always the Lido.

We love Your Time Dining. There are no reservations, you simply show up during the scheduled time (5:45 - 9:00). Although (if you choose), you could select traditional dining.

The pools close at something like midnight or 1:00 am. There is a lot of "night" life on Carnival with late night comedy shows and activities on the deck. The Lido deck never closes (there is 24 hour pizza and ice cream).

Wow... thank you. Things certainly have changed. Re: the pool - yes, it was closed at dinner time :)

Although Crystal isn't as formal as it once was, everyone is expected to have full length slacks on after 6 PM. Men usually in dress khakis or nice slacks and a collared shirt (polos are OK). Women in a sundress, skirt or slacks and a nice top.

On higher end lines your defined "dressiest" -- "neater shorts and a top" would not work. They are not really formal, but they do have dress codes which you should check out - because, unlike the mass market lines, passengers are expected to comply.

We sail Crystal often and it has become our favorite cruise line.

You can visit the Crystal Cruises Board.

It will offer a wonderful luxury experience between the service, entertainment, cuisine, and enrichment.

Keith

Sounds like you better go with NCL or CCL if shorts and tee shirt is what you want to wear in the MDR.

You'll normally see, on men, slacks and a decent shirt in the MDR for evening dinner on Celebrity, Holland America and Princess.

We'll be on Windstar next week, and they request slacks, shirt, and closed toed shoes in the MDR for all evening meals.

The more expensive the line and the smaller the ship the less rules and regs there are. Seabourn, Regent, Silversea, and Sea Dream you will pretty much never hear a no. You just can't do that when you have 3000 people on board.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

But, to answer OP, "shorts and a top" are not evening meal attire on any of those lines - of course they won't say "no", they will politely advise about the possibility of in-room dining.

The more expensive the line and the smaller the ship the less rules and regs there are. Seabourn, Regent, Silversea, and Sea Dream you will pretty much never hear a no. You just can't do that when you have 3000 people on board.

I don't think the size of the ship matters.

On Crystal which you didn't mention the Fitness Center is open 7x24 even though it is not manned at all hours.

That was not the case when we sailed other luxury lines that you mentioned when the doors were locked.

Keith

Sounds great!:)

But, to answer OP, "shorts and a top" are not evening meal attire on any of those lines - of course they won't say "no", they will politely advise about the possibility of in-room dining.

True- good point. But they also don't ever even pretend to think anyone brought a tux. Country club casual is the rule of the day. And there is nothing wrong with course by course dinner in your stateroom in a bathrobe- same menus as the restaurant.

Royal Caribbean has "rules" of no shorts in the main dining room. But formal night is a "suggestion."

The no shorts rule is not uniformly enforced. People report people wearing shorts, some report seeing people turned away for shorts. Of course, one could pack one pair of Dockers or similar and wear them to dinner.

Some people wear a tie or jacket on formal nights, others just wear Dockers and a polo shirt.

Or the buffet is always casual.

Pool deck and solarium is open all the time, even if the pools and hot tubs are not.

You can wear shorts and a top at dinner in almost all of NCL's dining rooms. We were on the Gem in May, and they were not enforcing the no shorts rule in Pacifica.