My father died on Millenium cruise; having problems w/customer care; help?

sea0tter12

Last month we sailed on the Celebrity Millenium leaving June 14. Two days into the trip, on June 16, while on an excursion, my father had a cardiac event and had to be airlifted to Anchorage. He died in Anchorage three days later.

On the day of his cardiac event, we never went back to the ship. Someone packed our stuff and brought our luggage to the hospital, and we were told by someone on the ship -- I believe it was someone on the emergency care team? -- that the three Ulu knives we had checked and the clothes that were in the laundry would be mailed to us later, and not to worry about it. Because we had other things on our mind and because we were promised that they would mail stuff, we didn't worry about it. However, Friday my mother received one cheap, Chinese made Ulu knife with bowl in the mail, and that was it. (Two of ours were nice, Alaska-made knives, and one was a cheap Chinese knock-off without a bowl.)

I just finished talking to someone in lost and found on the phone (1-800-256-6649), and they said that any Ulu knives not claimed at the end of the ship voyage were discarded after two weeks. Someone also told my mother in a separate call that clothes were not mailed because it's unhygienic. (This was $300 at least worth of me and my husband's clothes.) I tried to explain that we had contacted the ship the day my father was first hospitalized and what was promised to us, but it sounds like it is a lost cause. The person in lost & found is supposed to contact the ship and call me back, but it's been a month since the cruise and I don't think she will have good news. My mother was also told that we would not be reimbursed for any of these things.

We had travel insurance through Celebrity if that matters, although that's a whole other can of worms that I don't want to get into right now.

Is there any other avenue I can pursue? Is there any other customer care number or something I can do? I am really upset that it sounds like they discarded the Ulu knives we specifically bought with my father before he died.

Also, if you were one of the two nurses who did CPR on my dad on the Mendenhall Glacier morning excursion on Father's Day, I just want to say thank you. You gave him the best chance he had, and I hope you know how much my family appreciates your efforts.

I am terribly sorry to hear this news. I am sorry to say that since it was a month ago the items are probably long gone. I would think that you would need to go through the insurance. It is lucky that you had it, many cruisers, myself included, do not have travel insurance. Best of luck. Again, I am sorry to hear the news.

Let me say that I am so sorry for your loss. It's unfortunate that you are having to deal with these issues at a time of such sorrow. Other posters may be able to provide phone numbers or e-mail addresses for Celebrity -- but I have found that letters sent to corporate (address below) get responses. You'll need to include your contact information, like a day-time phone number, so they can get back to you. Good luck, and God Bless.

Celebrity Cruises Inc.

1050 Caribbean Way

Miami, FL 33132

Daddy's are so special. The fact that you were sharing special time with him is to be treasured. Your priorities were as they should be. Hope that X comes through for you. Insurance definitely should! God bless you and your family.

Thanks, y'all, for the kind words. I may try writing corporate at that address. I called just a bit ago, and they just transferred me back to lost and found. We are already having to deal with so much stuff, and nearly everyone we have had to interact with, from Celebrity Cruise, to the travel insurance provided by Celebrity Cruise, to the people in Alaska issuing his death certificate, etc., have really made this a lot harder and a lot more difficult.

We were very lucky in getting to spend that much time with my dad on his dream vacation -- we were on a cruise tour, and we had spent a week already on the land tour before we got on the ship. He adored Alaska, and up until that last day, we had no complaints.

Very sorry to hear of your loss.

Your first post described the situation very clearly. I would copy that post into an email to contactmichael@celebrity.com so that Michael Bayley, CEO of Celebrity can be aware of the situation and have someone from his office try to help. Celebrity should have handled their end better....

Very sorry for all you've been through lately. There is a official poster here from Celebrity that might be able to get some attention to this. Here is their contact info:

They go by the handle Celebrity Cruises and their email is:

scastro@rccl.com

I would contact them right away. Good luck.

Sending my sympathies as well....Dads are definitely so special.......

I have a name that you might try. She helped me post cruise before.

(Nothing as important as what you went through) but she did help.

Her title is Guest Relations Advocate and her name is Chelsea and she

works at HQ down in Miami....800 256 6649........she was very

courteous and fixed my issue.....see if she will help you.

Hi SeaOtter,

Welcome to Cruise Critic. I'm sorry to read about the passing of your Dad. My sincere condolences to you and your Family.

I will second GHStudio's suggestion - and would contact Michael Bayley's office (He's the President & CEO of Celebrity) at contactmichael@celebrity.com . I've only emailed his office a couple of times, but they were responsive and helpful.

I truly hope you will be able to resolve your concern. All the best to you during this very difficult time.

I really wish that there was something I could do to help you. But, since I can't, I will simply say that you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers and I am so sorry that you are having such a difficult time dealing with Celebrity. I truly hope that you get everything sorted out soon.

I really wish that there was something I could do to help you. But, since I can't, I will simply say that you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers and I am so sorry that you are having such a difficult time dealing with Celebrity. I truly hope that you get everything sorted out soon.

I echo these thoughts and the thoughts of everyone else. I'm so sorry to read about your Father...what a very sad thing to happen and such a loss. I do hope somehow X comes through for you.

I too am sorry for your loss. I hope Celebrity comes through for you. I fear your items are history but hopefully some kind of compensation can be arranged.

If not, this may sound off the wall, but you could also contact your homeowners insurance. I had an expensive watch stolen on a trip and someone suggested I call my homeowners. I said "But it wasn't in my home." Amazingly I was reimbursed (minus my deductible).

Best wishes for you and your family.

I too am so sorry for your loss and the subsequent problems you have been having trying to retrieve your property. You have been given good advice and contact information by other posters and I won't repeat it, only add one small suggestion. It has been my experience that when you really want to catch the attention of someone in corporate who has the authority to really help you do it in writing and send your letter certified mail, return receipt requested. Mail that has to be signed for gets read by someone's secretary not someone in the mail room. Good luck and God bless.

Archived