Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "P - Z" > Star Clippers

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old September 15th, 2009, 05:10 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Sailing on the Star Clipper with a Gluten Allergy

I'm sailing on the Star Clipper October 15th in Tahiti. I have a Gluten allergy and am wondering if they are able to accomodate me with Gluten Free food. Has anyone had a past experience with food allergies on the Star Clipper? I mentioned my food alergy upon booking but I'm wondering if that information ever makes it to the ship.

Mike

Old September 19th, 2009, 03:24 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Talk to Dining Room staff and/or chef

I suggest you talk with the Dining Room staff and/or the Chef upon boarding. There were many selections that did not contain gluten but they may not have any gluten free bread.

MSEm

Old September 22nd, 2009, 10:37 PM
Cool Cruiser

I would actually contact the company to prepare them of your special need. I am sure the kitchen will be more than able to cater to your allergy if they are forewarned.

Best of luck with it and I'm sure you will love your Star Clipper holiday. Wish it was me going again :-))

Old November 11th, 2009, 06:32 PM
Cool Cruiser

Smile How Was Your Cruise

Hello
please advise how your experience was. I am considering a SC cruise in January and also am gluten free
thanks

1985 RCCL Song of Norway
1986, Big Red Boat
1990, RCCL Song of America
1989, Oceanic
1995, NCL, Majesty
1997, Nordic Empress
NCL x2
2003, Sun Princess Panama Canal
2004, Windjammer Legacy
01/2005, Carnival Miracle
12/2006 Carnival Celebration
4/2007 Costa Meditterania
1/2008
3/2009 Disney Wonder
1/2010 Crown Princess
4.2012 Carnival Paradise

Old November 12th, 2009, 05:56 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default No Problem With Gluten

I called Star Clipper in advance and informed them of my gluten allergy. They said they would note it and to inform the head waiter when I got on the ship. I sailed on the 10 day French Polynesia cruise on the Star Flyer on Oct 13th. It was fantastic! The head waiter (his name was Kemic) did an incredible job of looking after my dietary needs. At every meal he would inform me of what I could eat and what contained gluten (he checked it all out in advance with the chef). He was waiting for me with all the info every time I arrived in the dining room. He would even have gluten free cereal and bread waiting for me when I arrived in the morning! I was able to eat a large portion of the food they had without modifications as they tended to use more corn starch as a thickener rather than wheat. Of course they also made modifications to my food if I needed it. I never went hungry and never went without dessert. Kemic was so good about checking for gluten that he wouldn't let me eat the ice cream because he couldn't guarantee the ingredients (It was a local item. Most everything else is shipped in from Europe, I believe). Afternoon snacks tended to have gluten in them but there was always fruit available and it was the best fruit I ever had. I didn't get sick once on the cruise which I am very happy for. I wish I had Kemic on the rest of our Polynesian vacation as I wasn't quite as lucky with the food after I left the ship.

Have a good time!

Mike

Old November 13th, 2009, 04:30 AM
Cool Cruiser

Suefrankway, if you consider making a cruise in January you better mention your gluten allergy as soon as possible to Star Clippers. They prefer to have this information at least six weeks in advance, so they can adjust their stock.
I had a similar experience with Kemic. Wonderful man, I got a special desert every evening. Hopefully Kemic will be there when I am doing the repositioning from Papeete to Lisbon. Luckily for me, I now only have a lactose allergy, I still have to be careful with gluten though, but it is much better.
Enjoy your cruise.
Pralientje