Just how much is this cruise going to cost?.....Adding up the extras.

david4455

My husband and I have never taken a cruise. We have always been independent travelers. We are 62 and 73.

We are looking to take our first cruise on Holland America to Alaska on the Amsterdam, a medium sized ship RT from Seattle next year. We live in Seattle and like the idea of not having to get on a plane to start the journey. We think this would be a good introduction to cruising and have never been to Alaska.

We would splurge and do a Neptune Suite that ( without yet having talked to an agent) prices out around $5K and change.

The unknown for us....how much more will this trip cost? Adding in a few shore excursions, tips, drinks ( we are not alcohol drinkers), internet, etc etc.....

My mind starts looking at a potentially much higher trip expense.....and as we add it up we start thinking of all the trips we could take for the money.....and we are back to square one.

Is there a formula to help approx. the actual cost of a cruise with most everything added in? Perhaps an agent can keep the expenses down?

Thanks.

No, there isn't a formula- because everyone's spending is different. For example, you don't drink alcohol. Many do, and that can add significantly to costs.

Shore excursions can add, it all depends on the ports, what your interests are and how you pursue those interest. For example, you can use ship excursions- the most expensive option, typically. Or you could use private tours (a more cost effective option) or do it yourself, using rental cars, taxis, or public transit.

All of this just takes research. It is possible to stay on the ship, and spend no extra. Or spend very little going ashore. You need to decide what you wish to do, or not do.

We are not allowed to name or discuss travel agents on Cruise Critic, so, no, we won't be recommending an agent to help you with your shopping.

If you're concerned about expenses, an obvious place to start would be to book a lower suite category, or simply a balcony cabin. Unless you need to conduct business while onboard, internet really isn't necessary. Shore excursions can range from simply walking around the port ($0) to spending hundreds on glacier flightseeing. Tips will be added to your account, and are $15 per person per day for a suite. It's really up to you as to how much you want to spend.

An agent may be able to give a reduced price on the cabin and/or extras such as onboard credit that you spend on tips, shore excursions, drinks, etc.

I hope this helps.

Roz

Cruise ships like many companies like to sell you extras. But they are up to you. You can spend a great deal on extras or keep them to a manageable amount.

In a suite, you will get a free mini-bar setup. This will be 8 mini bottles of alcohol and 12 cans/bottles of soda, beer, water. You can swap these thru room service or your cabin steward. So, if for example you both drink Coke, you could trade all 20 for 20 cokes. There are other options you steward can go over.

If one or both likes specialty coffees, you can get a coffee card to save money.

Bruce covered the excursions options, so I won't repeat.

You can spend a lot of money if you go to the art auctions, the jewelry store, etc.

Most 1st timers end up spending about 1/2 the cost of the cruise in "extras", like booze, excursions, photos, spa treatments, etc..... It really depends on YOUR spending habits and what is a "must do" for you!

Excursions are the most costly factor, but in the Caribbean, it's quite easy to DIY! Get a guidebook from your library and research your ports....you have to know something about your ports, or you will not get the most from your time ashore!

Most 1st timers end up spending about 1/2 the cost of the cruise in "extras", like booze, excursions, photos, spa treatments, etc..... It really depends on YOUR spending habits and what is a "must do" for you!

Excursions are the most costly factor, but in the Caribbean, it's quite easy to DIY! Get a guidebook from your library and research your ports....you have to know something about your ports, or you will not get the most from your time ashore!

The OP is asking about Alaska, not the Caribbean. Two completely different places, with different price points. No comparison.

Roz

After you decide on the cruise line, itinerary and stateroom class, you should have a price that includes the cruise as well as port fees and taxes. The only other cost that must be added is the daily gratuity. That price is a known entity and is the bottom line to pay for the basic cruise which will be the same for everyone

Beyond that will be a la carte for everything from specialty dining to drinks, souvenirs, photos, excursions, gambling, etc. That additional cost will be different from person to person based on their preferences and by doing your due diligence on what you want to have/do can you come up with a ballpark figure.

If you're concerned about expenses, an obvious place to start would be to book a lower suite category, or simply a balcony cabin.
Though it is difficult to to know if you need to be concerned about expenses if you don't know what to expect. It would be great if we could provide the OP with an array of budgets for 7 day Alaskan cruises on Holland America, so one can see the range of differences, as the Bruce indicated, but still get some idea.

And I wouldn't mind having a chance to validate the assumptions I've made. This is a worst case scenario, i.e., if we do "everything" and pay top dollar for it all. Presumably we'll do better (though only marginally):

$189 House Sitter

$150 Long-term Parking at Airport

$0 Overnight at home airport before early flight West (won't be needed)

$2,234 Airfare

$250 Pre-cruise hotel (no post-cruise overnight)

$6,798 Cruise fare SB

$410 Taxes & Fees & Port Expenses

$745 Choice Cruse Policy from Nationwide

$217 Pre-paid Gratuities

$344 Pre-cruise Excursion to Grouse Mountain

$480 Tracy Arm Excursion

$400 White Pass Rail & Yukon Expedition

$350 Ketchikan - Wilderness Exploration & Crab Feast

$55 Gratuities for Excursion Guides

$70 Fresh Orchids

$200 Internet Service

$349 Spa Charges

$249 Photography Charges

included Laundry and Dry Cleaning

$15 Bottled Water Packages (2; 12 500 ml bottles each)

$108 Alcoholic beverages (1.5 per day per person)

$48 Coffee (1.5 per day per person)

$15 Room Service Gratuities (5 visits)

$130 Post-cruise Hop-On, Hop-Off Sightseeing Tour with Luggage Service & Airport Transfer

$75 Other portage gratuities (whole trip)

This message may have been entered via voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

Edited by bUU

Is there a formula to help approx. the actual cost of a cruise with most everything added in? Perhaps an agent can keep the expenses down?

Thanks.

nope. you can spend exactly zero dollars on board, or your on board account could be higher than what you paid for the cabin. agents have no control over your on board spending and at most, might offer you some on board credit which can offset any.

first, find out what is already included. for instance, are gratuities included since it is a suite? if not, then add about $15 per person per day to the cost. what about alcoholic beverages? or an internet package? specialty dining? sometimes the more expensive cabin categories will include one or more of the optional extras.

shore excursions can be done much cheaper on your own instead of through the cruise line. although a Coast Guard friend of mine who used to be stationed up there strongly suggests you stick to ship sponsored tours as doing it on your own usually leads to him having to go find and rescue you. he said it was a weekly occurrence and more than one rescue every time ships were in port.

everything on board that is an extra fee will be clearly labeled.

Great comments. Thank you. I am a good researcher and this gives me a place to start and avoid surprises.

Our first cruise is more about trying a ship experience and the convenience of cruising. The destination of Alaska just happens to be a good perk.

When we travel we also tend to spend a bit more time in our hotel room then other more adventurous couples .... so a cabin with a big veranda appeals to us....hence the Neptune suite whose veranda is twice as big as balcony cabins.

Our first cruise is more about trying a ship experience and the convenience of cruising. The destination of Alaska just happens to be a good perk.

Understood and I appreciate that, though I have a thought: Our first cruise was very different... a Nile cruise on a very small riverboat, so it really didn't provide any insights into the, "ship experience and the convenience of cruising" that you mentioned. When we finally decided to take one of THIS type of cruise (i.e., on a sea-going cruise ship) we booked a rather special Southern Caribbean cruise. We also wondered about matters of the ship experience, so to make the most of that special cruise, we booked a short, inexpensive cruise (taking advantage of last minute fares, and in a much more inexpensive cabin) several months prior to the special cruise. I feel that that was a good investment. By the time we went on that special cruise, we already had a good idea of the shipboard experience from the shorter earlier cruise, and so we were better able to focus on the wonderful experiences of the ports that we were visiting. (There was also a small benefit from being a returning members of the cruise line's frequent traveler program on that latter cruise, rather than a first-time cruiser.)

This message may have been entered via voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

My husband and I have never taken a cruise. We have always been independent travelers. We are 62 and 73.

We are looking to take our first cruise on Holland America to Alaska on the Amsterdam, a medium sized ship RT from Seattle next year. We live in Seattle and like the idea of not having to get on a plane to start the journey. We think this would be a good introduction to cruising and have never been to Alaska.

We would splurge and do a Neptune Suite that ( without yet having talked to an agent) prices out around $5K and change.

The unknown for us....how much more will this trip cost? Adding in a few shore excursions, tips, drinks ( we are not alcohol drinkers), internet, etc etc.....

My mind starts looking at a potentially much higher trip expense.....and as we add it up we start thinking of all the trips we could take for the money.....and we are back to square one.

Thanks.

I would categorize my major expenses into Onboard and Port Expenses. After listing the anticipated individual items (from your research and this thread) with amounts to enjoy the experience in each category, tag each as "must' or "want". Just compare your budget with the total amounts where you may adjust your budget or your items. Expenses may be overwhelming but it is controllable, There are items/numbers that we can disregard but still enjoy a cruise. YMMV.

Edited by easyboy

In a suite, you will get a free mini-bar setup. This will be 8 mini bottles of alcohol and 12 cans/bottles of soda, beer, water. You can swap these thru room service or your cabin steward. So, if for example you both drink Coke, you could trade all 20 for 20 cokes. There are other options you steward can go over.

This is true on Princess, but not on Holland America.

Great comments. Thank you. I am a good researcher and this gives me a place to start and avoid surprises.

When we travel we also tend to spend a bit more time in our hotel room then other more adventurous couples .... so a cabin with a big veranda appeals to us....hence the Neptune suite whose veranda is twice as big as balcony cabins.

It is a little overwhelming BUT you've been given some good ideas where to start. Here are my suggestions. I know you like the idea of a bigger balcony but this is not a hotel, it is a ship. Your hotel doesn't move, your ship does. One moment you are facing east the next you are facing south or north or west. That is the beauty of cursing. You can get a smaller cabin/balcony and use that money for all those extras that you are going to want.

One of the reasons Alaska is on your bucket list is because of the beauty and many interesting things to see and do. You really don't want to do a bucket list item and forget to use the bucket. Flight seeing, water seeing and just plain seeing are part of the experience. Sure you can go cheap but if you can afford that suite you can afford at least one or two of the cool excursions. Buy in advance to secure your spot. There are only so many helicopters, small planes and small boats and you don't want to get there and have them say "well, if you'd only paid $5 more you could have got on the excursion.

Take the helicopter on top of the glacier. We did this about 30 years ago and many cruises later it is still at the top for an awesome adventure. It is not an active excursion except you can't take a wheelchair. Or whale watching. Some of the best ever. Or maybe watching a live bear catching a fish and eating it there right in front of you, and, to make it more exciting you got there on a small plane. You could ride a train up the mountain and take a bus back down. There are so many things to do which is why most of us can't help you. These are all very expensive so only you can decide how you want to spend your money.

There are cheap things to do as well. Ones that aren't overly active either. You could get a guide to help you or do it on your own. There are just so many choices. Getting ride of that big moving balcony can save you enough money to do a couple of these wondrous adventures.

Also, keep in mind because this is a ship you don't have to sit on our balcony to stay on the ship and see nature go by. You can go to public areas and find a nice seat, inside or out, and view from there.

So, give some more thought to why you want Alaska and what is important and how you want to spend that budget. Cruise critic is a great place to come with questions so do some thinking about what you want and is really important and come back and ask all the questions you want. We also have an Alaska Board where you can go to read about things to do in different ports and gain some great knowledge to help you decide.

.... so a cabin with a big veranda appeals to us....hence the Neptune suite whose veranda is twice as big as balcony cabins.

I did a quick search and saw that if you took a smaller balcony, the price drops (what I consider to be) substantially, by at least $800.00. It might give you opportunity to take some once-in-a-lifetime excursions in Alaska that might otherwise be out of reach. Just a suggestion. :)

bUU. Wow that's a lot of extras. I know it's hypothetical but it could really add up
Definitely. I'm not sure how much it it will end up being real (one item has already been removed based on some great input I've received), but what is more important is whether there is anything MISSING from that list. That would be bad.

A first cruise to Alaska is a wonderful choice. Our Alaskan cruise was one of our best.

If you spend time in your cabin, a Neptune Suite is a great choice. Alaska allows you ample time to enjoy the scenery from your extra large balcony. HAL offers free room service and there will be a dining table on your balcony. You can also order room service from the Main Dining Room menu in the evening if you wish to enjoy your balcony even more.

You will also have access to the Neptune Lounge, where you can avail of complimentary snacks and beverages (non-alcoholic). There will also be a coffee maker in your cabin which makes a pretty good cup of java.

You will also have access to complimentary laundry and dry cleaning/pressing services in a Neptune Suite.

Tips are generally extra unless HAL is offering a promotion that includes pre-paid tips. In a Neptune Suite, $15.00 per day/per person will be charged to your onboard account for tips. This amount covers all your tipping and there is little need to tip above this.

There are specialty restaurants onboard that are an extra fee to attend. These are optional and while we always take in one or two, you can chose to dine in the complimentary venues.

Spending on board, is of course, very personal. There are lots of opportunities for you to spend money - from general shopping, beverages, spa services, artwork, photographs, special dinners, flowers for you suite....the ships offer a lot. Choose a little, choose a lot, the decision is yours.

As others have mentioned, excursions can also vary. Alaskan ports tend to be small and easily walked.

Keep researching and you will most likely be pleasantly surprised on how much and yet how little you can spend.

If I only had to pay the cost of the cruise itself I could go more often. But, all those extras really do add up. The flight and pre-cruise hotel when we went to England were more than I had spent on any of my previous cruises. Totally worth it, but still. And then you add in excursions, other transportation and tips it can be quite high.

For this next cruise I made a list of where we would be each day and what we would likely be doing. I included food, transportation, tips and entry fees, excursions. Also, the airporter bus we're taking to and from the airport. Taxis, buses, subway. It's a long list. I'm so glad I did. We have been able to pay nearly everything in advance. Now we just have to go!

Ah.....memories! Our first cruise was also to Alaska! The previous posters have provided good info for you to consider.

Our cruise was in an inside cabin in an OLD Princess ship. We were on a very limited budget, so saved on the cabin and splurged on the helicopter to the top of the glacier, the whale watching boat, and the train thru White Pass. In other towns, we just walked, shopped, and soaked up the atmosphere.

This was by far the best cruise we ever took--probably because it was the first and because of Alaska!

The monies you spend on board and ashore are up to you. Main things to remember are port fees and taxes (not always included in a price quote), daily tips, and those things which are not included in your fare (soft drinks, coffees, bottled water, special restaurants--not usually included).

Choose a good travel agent, and if you do not find a good one now, ask others once aboard!

This is what I do with cruising. Based on your ages, I can probably safely assume you are retired and have some time on your hands to try and plan/budget.

First you figure out the cruise fare, this should include your gratuities. Mark the check box for pre-paid when you get your booking price and you will have this all done!

Since you don't have travel costs, really you are almost done there! Do count though in travel costs things like pet sitting, transportation to and from the pier (even if it is giving a buddy gas money!!), house sitting if you feel you need it and the like.

Then look at excursions at each port and things you might want to do. Make a list with prices from the cruise line. Anything that sounds amazing and a must do, see if you can find a different company with a better price (and good reviews!!) Decide what is a "must do" and a "would like to do" add the 1st to your cost, add the 2nd into a "if budget allows" section.

Then decide what you need on the ship itself. In all honesty, you probably won't need internet access unless you HAVE to be available for business purposes. In port you can find free/cheap wifi or a good plan for traveling with your cell company (unless T-Mobile then you are already set). Don't just say "I want to eat at XYZ restaurant!!", look at the menu and figure out if it is worth it compared to the normal dining. You don't have to worry about bag fees so packing even heavy wouldn't be an issue so no need for laundry. Look at wine prices on board vs. bringing your own bottle(s) if you just want a glass or 2 of wine with dinner. Also think about professional pictures vs just doing all your own and budget for that if you want.

You can go as cheap or as expensive as you want on a cruise. One cruise we took, we spent 2x more on travel/excursions that we did on fare or anything on board. Most of our cruises we have it as a full DIY/private company thing. Some cruises we haven't even spent more than $300 after the fare/gratuities for week long vacations.

Cruising is really what you make of it, and you really don't need to spend a small fortune to have a great time! The reasons you said about your room choice I think it would really end up being the best for you so I wouldn't scrimp on cash there. I would look into other options though also like NCL with a Haven room, or Princess with.. whatever they have instead of just Holland America.

Good luck on whatever you decide and enjoy cruising!!

Thanks.

Shore excursions in Alaska are VERY expensive, especially ones through the ship. I'd recommend joining your roll call and see if anyone is organizing a private tour you're interested in.

Also, read in Alaska forum and see which ports are compatible with do it yourself walking to explore them.

You might want to change your mind about the Neptune suite and get a balcony or oceanview instead, using the money saved for excursions. There are plenty of public places aboard for scenic viewing and you'll also spend a lot of time off the ship in ports.

Be sure to read some of the posts in the Holland America forum for info about "tips" and daily hotel service charge, cost of optional photos, drinks, etc.

My husband and I typically spend $1200 for a 1 week cruise for tips, excursions, an occasional drink - water, tea, iced tea, juice and milk at breakfast and coffee are all included with your fare.

Here are actual excursions you can book organized by port and their prices:

http://www.shoreexcursionsgroup.com/alaska-shore-excursions

Here are HAL drink prices including specialty coffees and alcohol:

http://www.cruisewithgambee.com/holland-america-drink-prices/

Each guest may bring onboard 1 regular size bottle of wine 750ml. You can also bring bottled water and cans of soda onboard. Many people buy a case of water and a case of soda and then check it at the pier with their luggage.

Here are the specialty dining prices:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=7172

Free are unlimited 24 hour room service, MDR, Grand Buffet (Lido), Terrace Grill (poolside).