Just got back from the PG!!

MONYMONY68

We were on the 7 day sailing beginning on 3/31. Diane Moore, president of PG cruises, was on this cruise with us. She was very nice and approachable. We were in a category D balcony cabin. Be careful if there is a suite right above you. The suites typically have families with them and younger children love to run around and make a lot of noise. This was the case with us; we were woken each morning at 7;30 by a series of loud thuds and bumps. I wish PG would have invested in insulating the floors and walls during their renovation a few months ago. I loved all the ports. The private motu was one of the highlights. I also loved Moorea. We booked the ATV tour in Moorea and it was the best excursion we did. It was a lot of fun and we will definitely do it again next time we cruise. We did the 4x4 Landrover tour in Bora Bora, which was quite an adventure. Don't even think about taking this tour if you have back/neck problems. This time of year is their wet season, so it was very hot and humid. The dry season begins May-October, which is more pleasant. The seas were calm except the ship had to travel at least 50 miles out for a couple of days here and there to dump their "green water". On those evenings, we encountered some good size swells and the ship was rocking, but it wasn't the worst I've ever experienced.

Thanks for the review- we will be on the two week version of this cruise next year. We have the opportunity to spend about 4 days precruise. Would you recommend Moorea or Bora Bora for the extra time?

I would recommend Moorea. Although I did enjoy Bora Bora, I liked Moorea more. We stayed at the Hilton 3 days pre-cruise and loved it! Splurge for an OWB; you won't regret it! I didn't bother including the breakfast in my room charge as it was very expensive. There is a little cafe about a 5 minute walk from the Hilton, called "Lilikoi Garden Cafe" You can find them on Trip Advisor. We would eat there for lunch every day.

Monymony, we are scheduled for the 4x4 tour on Bora Bora in about three weeks, but some of do have back issues from time to time. It sounds like those of us with such problems would probably be wise to cancel and find a less bumpy alternative. We didn't think it would be that bad, but I guess better safe than sore-ry.

I noticed on another post you talking about your cabin on 7 in the aft...I believe 763 or 764. You said the kids in suites above you in this post were noisy. There are no suites above those cabins. Maybe I misunderstood your other post but it seemed you were talking about your own cabin, if so, the noises you heard were coming from a public area, not a cabin.

1. Overall, how was the service? Did any employees disappoint, or go above and beyond?

2. Did you use or see the gym? Is it any different after the refurb?

3. Did you have problems making reservations at LaVeranda or Le Grill?

4. Did you order room service? If so, how was it and how was the timing?

hguy--If you do have bad/neck problems, I would not recommend the 4x4 tour. If you don't have any problems, the tour is a blast!

Emdee--will email you shortly

rcandkc--you misunderstood. We were in a category D cabin, which we loved, and PG moved us to 764 to escape the noise. We hated 764.

imcpa--the service was excellent. All the employees were friendly and went above and beyond to please you. I can't say enough good things about the service. We used the gym every day. It is very small. There are 3 treadmills, 2 elipticals and 1 stairmaster. There were always being used, so we had to wait to use them. They have free weights and a couple machines. Everything was very close together. They also had an exercise ball, but there really isn't any room to use it. There clean towels in there, plus anti-bacterial wipes to wipe down the machine and cold drinking water. We never ate at LaVeranda and Le Grill; we chose to eat at L'Etoile every night because we didn't know what time we would feel like eating dinner. A few other passengers did eat there and they told us they didn't have any problems making a reservation. On the disembark day, you eat breakfast in La Veranda because Le Grill is closed. We ordered room service on the day we embarked because we boarded the ship after lunch and we were starving. They brought us our food within 15 minutes. We ordered the steak sandwich; it was delicious. Also, you don't leave your trays outside your cabin hallway like in other cruise lines. They ask you to call them back when you are done and they are usually back at your cabin within 5-10 minutes to pick up your tray and dirty dishes. We also ordered room service for breakfast a few days. You select your food items the night before on a door knob hanger and then you hang it on your door knob outside before you go to sleep. They will bring you your breakfast at the time you specified. The milk they serve on board is imported from New Zealand and does not taste like the milk here in the U.S. I didn't care for the taste, so I didn't eat any cereal while I was on board.

MonyMony-

Thanks for your review..glad you enjoyed your trip! Im worried about those D cabins now, which were you in that had noise issues? We are in D cabin. What didn't you like about the aft cabin? Some people love those, but I have heard they are small!

Thanks for the details on the exercise room. We will probably skip it other than to lift a few weights, I can't bear getting all sweaty in a room on top of others, and if things are that close quartered, we will get our workouts elsewhere or after we return home!

MonyMony-

Thanks for your review..glad you enjoyed your trip! Im worried about those D cabins now, which were you in that had noise issues? We are in D cabin. What didn't you like about the aft cabin? Some people love those, but I have heard they are small!

Thanks for the details on the exercise room. We will probably skip it other than to lift a few weights, I can't bear getting all sweaty in a room on top of others, and if things are that close quartered, we will get our workouts elsewhere or after we return home!

We actually loved our D cabin; don't switch. You will love it! Unfortunately, we booked a cabin that had a suite above us with a large family staying in it with smaller children. Check out the deck plan and pick a cabin that doesn't have a suite above you. We were moved to cabin 764 on the last night of our cruise, due to the noise. We hated this particular cabin. As for the fitness center, it was adequate. I'm glad we used it because we did eat way too much on this cruise. The food is really good, so you will probably want to work out to burn off those extra calories. We would go early in the am (between 6:30-7:30) and it was surprisingly busy then. One time, we went late afternoon and it was also busy then too. Not sure how busy it is at other times.

We actually loved our D cabin; don't switch. You will love it! Unfortunately, we booked a cabin that had a suite above us with a large family staying in it with smaller children. Check out the deck plan and pick a cabin that doesn't have a suite above you. We were moved to cabin 764 on the last night of our cruise, due to the noise. We hated this particular cabin. As for the fitness center, it was adequate. I'm glad we used it because we did eat way too much on this cruise. The food is really good, so you will probably want to work out to burn off those extra calories. We would go early in the am (between 6:30-7:30) and it was surprisingly busy then. One time, we went late afternoon and it was also busy then too. Not sure how busy it is at other times.

Our cabin appears to be under one of the blue suites, that's why I'm concerned. How many kids are on this cruise? I wasn't expecting many! What number cabin did you have the problem with?

Hey, everyone!

I was on this same cruise and thought I would throw out some tips.

I highly recommend the Intercontinental in Tahiti for a night or two pre-cruise. Be prepared for sticker shock, though--it's $20 for Mai Tai at these resorts and you will pay $40-plus for breakfast or a burger...be warned! I was prepared for this so I packed a few bottles of wine which we thoroughly enjoyed on our deck--and we had extra room in our bags once it was consumed! (THAT'S a cool trick.) Also picked up some fruit at the market downtown and had a lovely breakfast on our deck.

--Bring more sunscreen then you think you'll need. My friend got a burn even though she was in the shade all day--the sun reflects of the sand.

--Bring mosquito reppellent unless you do not intend to go inland. One trip on a jungle tour and I was scratching for five days. No mosquitos on the beaches.

--Get your cash exchanged. I have never bothered to exchange US dollars for the Carribbean or Mexico but you WILL need local currency on these islands if you want to pay for a bus/cab/meal. I exchanged $300 US for 11 days and was comfortable. Also, exchange your money at the airport for a better rate (as opposed to the hotel). Obviously, you use your credit card for major purchases but watch out for foreign transaction fees!

--LADIES: Do yourself a favor and leave the fancy dresses at home! I was sorry I dragged a sequined cocktail dress all the way over there (and matching shoes). I spent most evenings in a pareo (sarong) with nice sandals. It's TOO HOT too dress in anything other than very lightweight and loose fabrics. You can look smashing in local wear and they are so comfortable! They sell them in the gift shop on board and at every port. True, you may never wear them in Wisconsin or Detroit but they are lovely in the tropics.

--Don't bring a purse. A pretty beach bag will hold everything thing you need and you don't need a purse on board. You are only one floor away from your room and you don't need money, right? And remember...when you are on an excursion, you will be bringing a beach towel and sunscreen and camera etc...seriously. Beach bag. And a passport/document wallet.

--This may sound stupid but I stressed about what to wear on the plane. I live in a very cold/wet climate so I wore jeans and sandals and a very summer shirt and sweater. I packed a pair of shorts in my carry on and changed mid flight there and back. Worked great. Only had to peel off the sweater and throw on my shorts.

--I was sorry I did not bring after-burn lotion. Even though I was careful and did not burn, the sun and salt water really sucks the moisture out of your skin and those little bottles of moisturizer provided don't go that far.

--Bring SPF lip care. Really.

--Bring more than one cover-up. You will likely spend half of your days in a bathing suit w/cover up and the other half in shorts and tank top. After 5pm means a pareo or light weight summer dress.

--Re: restaurants: We found that the quality of food in all of the restaruants was the same (and often the menu choices were similar). We hated the idea of having to reserve a time and found ourselves opting for the Etoile for the flexibility. The experience and food quality was the same, IMO. Try all of them but don't stress about the reservations.

--If you enjoy snorkling, invest in a good mask and bring it with you. I learned this the hard way with a leaky mask on a previous trip. That day was ruined!

EXCURSIONS: I was a little bit freaked out that I had not reserved many excursions prior to boarding. I did hear that our partricular trip was light on excursion reservations but I had no problem booking trips once I was on board. My favorite excursion (HANDS DOWN) was the Eco Snorkle in Bora Bora. It's a small group and we are given snorkles with piped in music--how cool is that? And we are led on a tour through towering coral reefs...it was seriously like being in an IMAX movie. Astounding and a once-in -a -lifetime experience. Also. Do not miss the swim the rays/sharks. 'Cause...wow.

Yikes, I just realized that this is sounding more like a review than tips so my apologies...back to tips..

Highly recommend Moorea for a post cruise stay. The Hilton is pretty $$ but the snorkling right off your bungalow is pretty awesome. Reef sharks and stunning tropical fish. It's pretty easy to walk across the pier to the ferry after you leave the ship and head back to Moorea.

Final day tip:

The BELVEDERE restaurant in Tahiti will pick you up (and your bags) and drive you high into the mountains for a spectacular meal overlooking the entire island and then drive you to the airport after your dinner for about $50. This was an exceptional deal and a spectacular way to end our trip. it can be arranged by the concierge at your hotel or possibly PG.

Souvenirs: I shopped HARD at Tahiti and Bora Bora and Moorea. On return, I found the products I bought on the Motu Taha'a were the best quality and best price. Seriously, the lotions and vanilla are exquisite and organic and lovely...as opposed to the crap I bought for the same price in a panic at the airport which are on my dresser because no one wants them. Sigh. The stuff they were selling at the huge market in Tahiti were also pretty low quality in comparison. And the price was the same. $10 for a bottle of vanilla, about $12 for a bottle of lotion or body oil. Look for the guy on Taha'a who has a table with products from his own vanilla farm. Fabulous. I did not buy the famous black pearls. Why? Because my friend bought $2000 matching pearls on her last trip and lost one earring. 'Poof. 'Nuff said. Now she can't wear the necklace or earrings...that's just me!

Hope this HUGE rant helps someone have a spectacular time as I did.

BON VOYAGE!

Kelly

Hi to all,

Just wanted to say thanks for all of your info on cruising on the Paul Gaugin. We are booked on a 11 day Cook Island cruise leaving on June 30th, and while we have been on the PG before, it was back in 2009 and I'm sure there are probably a few more shore excursions listed than they had then. I appreciate all of the advice from everyone (especially Kelly for the shopping tips!).

I'll be watching for more posts and taking lots of notes. THANK YOU!

Sandy

Yes I agree $2000 is steep if you want all to match, but the pearls she can still wear. It is nice to go small and come back with a reminder of the beautiful area and people. I had made a 3 peals stacked pendant 10 years ago and still enjoy looking at it remembering how we learned about choosing each one. It still looks beautiful and am looking forward this trip to getting earrings that have french closures for safety. You do not have to buy the best of the best designers stuff.

Hi to all,

Just wanted to say thanks for all of your info on cruising on the Paul Gaugin. We are booked on a 11 day Cook Island cruise leaving on June 30th, and while we have been on the PG before, it was back in 2009 and I'm sure there are probably a few more shore excursions listed than they had then. I appreciate all of the advice from everyone (especially Kelly for the shopping tips!).

I'll be watching for more posts and taking lots of notes. THANK YOU!

Sandy

Hello Sandy:

-Here's a link to our trip blog (with pictures) of our great 11 day Cook Island cruise from last month.

http://theelvings.com/FPS.pdf

Best, Jim

I loved the lotion I purchased on Tahaa. It was the best quality. I used the stuff I purchased in the market place in Papette after showering at the gym to use it up. I plan to purchase more vanilla lotion on Tahaa when we go in September. My daughter who is a gourmet baker purchased his vanilla bean and thought that they were the freshest and best tasting beans she has used.Be advised that you will need cash since most of the venders only take cash. There are venders selling pearls and jewelry,handicrafts and the frenchman who has the vanilla plantation. He also makes a vanilla hand sanitizer which was nice.

I just finished reading your travel blog and it was one of the best I have read! I loved your photos!

We, too, are coming in early and staying at IC. Doesn't the pre cruise stay include breakfast each day? When is happy hour at the hotel? That is when it is at least affordable to have a cocktail.

Besides the Guiguines, what kind of entertainment did the ship have?

The house band "Siglo" is the best. They normally play an hour accoustic set in La Pallette at 6:30PM and a rock set after dinner. They work 8 months on and 4 months off. These guys are great! Also a piano player does his thing.

Best, Jim

I just finished reading your travel blog and it was one of the best I have read! I loved your photos!

We, too, are coming in early and staying at IC. Doesn't the pre cruise stay include breakfast each day? When is happy hour at the hotel? That is when it is at least affordable to have a cocktail.

Yes, breakfast buffet (excellent) is included. I am not sure when Happy Hour is, but I did not think that the drink prices were that bad.

Best, Jim

Hey, everyone!

I was on this same cruise and thought I would throw out some tips.

I highly recommend the Intercontinental in Tahiti for a night or two pre-cruise. Be prepared for sticker shock, though--it's $20 for Mai Tai at these resorts and you will pay $40-plus for breakfast or a burger...be warned! I was prepared for this so I packed a few bottles of wine which we thoroughly enjoyed on our deck--and we had extra room in our bags once it was consumed! (THAT'S a cool trick.) Also picked up some fruit at the market downtown and had a lovely breakfast on our deck.

--Bring more sunscreen then you think you'll need. My friend got a burn even though she was in the shade all day--the sun reflects of the sand.

--Bring mosquito reppellent unless you do not intend to go inland. One trip on a jungle tour and I was scratching for five days. No mosquitos on the beaches.

--Get your cash exchanged. I have never bothered to exchange US dollars for the Carribbean or Mexico but you WILL need local currency on these islands if you want to pay for a bus/cab/meal. I exchanged $300 US for 11 days and was comfortable. Also, exchange your money at the airport for a better rate (as opposed to the hotel). Obviously, you use your credit card for major purchases but watch out for foreign transaction fees!

--LADIES: Do yourself a favor and leave the fancy dresses at home! I was sorry I dragged a sequined cocktail dress all the way over there (and matching shoes). I spent most evenings in a pareo (sarong) with nice sandals. It's TOO HOT too dress in anything other than very lightweight and loose fabrics. You can look smashing in local wear and they are so comfortable! They sell them in the gift shop on board and at every port. True, you may never wear them in Wisconsin or Detroit but they are lovely in the tropics.

--Don't bring a purse. A pretty beach bag will hold everything thing you need and you don't need a purse on board. You are only one floor away from your room and you don't need money, right? And remember...when you are on an excursion, you will be bringing a beach towel and sunscreen and camera etc...seriously. Beach bag. And a passport/document wallet.

--This may sound stupid but I stressed about what to wear on the plane. I live in a very cold/wet climate so I wore jeans and sandals and a very summer shirt and sweater. I packed a pair of shorts in my carry on and changed mid flight there and back. Worked great. Only had to peel off the sweater and throw on my shorts.

--I was sorry I did not bring after-burn lotion. Even though I was careful and did not burn, the sun and salt water really sucks the moisture out of your skin and those little bottles of moisturizer provided don't go that far.

--Bring SPF lip care. Really.

--Bring more than one cover-up. You will likely spend half of your days in a bathing suit w/cover up and the other half in shorts and tank top. After 5pm means a pareo or light weight summer dress.

--Re: restaurants: We found that the quality of food in all of the restaruants was the same (and often the menu choices were similar). We hated the idea of having to reserve a time and found ourselves opting for the Etoile for the flexibility. The experience and food quality was the same, IMO. Try all of them but don't stress about the reservations.

--If you enjoy snorkling, invest in a good mask and bring it with you. I learned this the hard way with a leaky mask on a previous trip. That day was ruined!

EXCURSIONS: I was a little bit freaked out that I had not reserved many excursions prior to boarding. I did hear that our partricular trip was light on excursion reservations but I had no problem booking trips once I was on board. My favorite excursion (HANDS DOWN) was the Eco Snorkle in Bora Bora. It's a small group and we are given snorkles with piped in music--how cool is that? And we are led on a tour through towering coral reefs...it was seriously like being in an IMAX movie. Astounding and a once-in -a -lifetime experience. Also. Do not miss the swim the rays/sharks. 'Cause...wow.

Yikes, I just realized that this is sounding more like a review than tips so my apologies...back to tips..

Highly recommend Moorea for a post cruise stay. The Hilton is pretty $$ but the snorkling right off your bungalow is pretty awesome. Reef sharks and stunning tropical fish. It's pretty easy to walk across the pier to the ferry after you leave the ship and head back to Moorea.

Final day tip:

The BELVEDERE restaurant in Tahiti will pick you up (and your bags) and drive you high into the mountains for a spectacular meal overlooking the entire island and then drive you to the airport after your dinner for about $50. This was an exceptional deal and a spectacular way to end our trip. it can be arranged by the concierge at your hotel or possibly PG.

Souvenirs: I shopped HARD at Tahiti and Bora Bora and Moorea. On return, I found the products I bought on the Motu Taha'a were the best quality and best price. Seriously, the lotions and vanilla are exquisite and organic and lovely...as opposed to the crap I bought for the same price in a panic at the airport which are on my dresser because no one wants them. Sigh. The stuff they were selling at the huge market in Tahiti were also pretty low quality in comparison. And the price was the same. $10 for a bottle of vanilla, about $12 for a bottle of lotion or body oil. Look for the guy on Taha'a who has a table with products from his own vanilla farm. Fabulous. I did not buy the famous black pearls. Why? Because my friend bought $2000 matching pearls on her last trip and lost one earring. 'Poof. 'Nuff said. Now she can't wear the necklace or earrings...that's just me!

Hope this HUGE rant helps someone have a spectacular time as I did.

BON VOYAGE!

Kelly

Thank you for ALL of this!!!!! So helpful!

Archived