How much is really needed/good to bring with?

I've had some extra expenses come up recently that have required me to dip into our vacation fund. I'm getting a bit worried about the extra costs now. We are leaving next Monday for 4 days on Carnival from Long Beach > Catalina Island> Ensenada > Long Beach. It's going to be me and my 14 yr old son. Are there that many extra costs that come up on the ship? About how much is good to bring with for basic extras/things on the cruise? His birthday was 9/15 and mine 9/20 so this is also our birthday celebration. [emoji3] I noted that on our registration but what does it mean to them? I also signed up for the decorations and cookies for my son.

Any tips? This is our first cruise!

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've had some extra expenses come up recently that have required me to dip into our vacation fund. I'm getting a bit worried about the extra costs now. We are leaving next Monday for 4 days on Carnival from Long Beach > Catalina Island> Ensenada > Long Beach. It's going to be me and my 14 yr old son. Are there that many extra costs that come up on the ship? About how much is good to bring with for basic extras/things on the cruise? His birthday was 9/15 and mine 9/20 so this is also our birthday celebration. [emoji3] I noted that on our registration but what does it mean to them? I also signed up for the decorations and cookies for my son.

Any tips? This is our first cruise!

Thank you!

You can get away with spending very little.

To be fair I normally have a soda package pre paid (grats too if applicable) for me and a coffee card for her, so that's around $10-15 a day. Our lowest bill was $8 and some cents, I won't go into our highest.

We had a friend go with us on our 7 night on the Gem and she had deposited $152 cash into her onboard account, plus she had $25 OBC from us as a gift. She left the ship with around $47 due which she received 6 weeks post cruise. She did not buy any drinks (she drank water with lemon in it in the bars) and the only onboard spending she did was some souvenirs. Her gratuities were pre-paid as were her excursions. So what you spend is really up to you. As for your birthdays CCL does do something to recognize birthdays and anniversary's but I can't remember what. There is an active thread on the CCL forum about it though.

My bill has been as low as -$89. We got money back because fuel costs went down. That happen 9 years ago.

If you already paid for gratuities then you could potentially have a bill that reads $0.00.

Don't buy anything on the ship. It's just cheap junk that most 1st and 2nd timers fall for. You should be able to bring (1) bottle of wine on board. All the food at the free food venues is great. No need to pay extra.

Have a GREAT time!

Tips must be paid...and whatever you've booked (decorations or whatever)...the rest, you can take or leave, depending on your purse!

Drinks are pricey, but it's only a 4 day cruise! You don't NEED to buy photos or massages, or specialty dinners, or excursions..or gamble/bingo, etc.!

CB at sea, do you feel fun can still be had without that other stuff?

Oh gosh yes!! There's TONS to do onboard. See if you can find a cruise daily program, doesn't matter what day or cruise, they will still have pretty much the same stuff. You won't have to entertain your teen either, because there will be other teens on board and they have their own "under-21" space. Or spend some quality time together taking in a movie on the Lido deck, under the stars. Check out your ship and see what it offers. Even something that doesn't sound appealing on the website may be a lot of fun when you actually do it onboard! Most of all, just remember that cruising is supposed to be both fun and relaxing, and you've already paid for it, so just make the most of it. You can always save up for next year's cruise if you decide to splurge on those expensive extras.