Coffee on RCCL ships

Can someone comment about RCCL's coffee quality? I am very picky about coffee and much prefer the stronger ones. With the past 4 Princess cruises, I could not stand their free coffee in the dining room or the room service and always had to purchase Cappuccino or Latte from the Espresso bar. The ones from the Espresso bar were average to good. We will be sailing on Brilliance next summer. I am seriously thinking about bringing my own coffee :-) What do you think?

They use Seattle's Best. I hate it - but then I like a pretty mild coffee. My DH prefers more vibrant coffee and he likes it.

If you bring your own coffee, how were you planning to brew it? :confused:

I really miss my coffee in the morning when I'm on RCCL - I just can't force myself to drink the horrible stuff they serve. It's nothing to do with the strength - it's just really bitter and foul tasting

If you are picky about your coffee you probably won't like it. I like my coffee strong, and while RCI DOES have strong coffee, the quality isn't really there. I drink it anyway, because I gotta have my coffee, but I have never been too impressed by it. The stuff from the promenade or Seattles Best is tolerable, but still not great. Strong, yes, but not great.

They use Seattle's Best. I hate it - but then I like a pretty mild coffee. My DH prefers more vibrant coffee and he likes it.

If you bring your own coffee, how were you planning to brew it? :confused:

I could bring one of these--

http://www.centralchef.com/storefrontprofiles/DeluxeSFItemDetail.aspx?sid=1&sfid=123094&c=709953&i=185255716

My friend did and it worked well for her. Just ask for a pot of hot water from room service.

It sounds like the coffee on RCCL is strong but not good taste.

Yes I am a coffee snob!

I really miss my coffee in the morning when I'm on RCCL - I just can't force myself to drink the horrible stuff they serve. It's nothing to do with the strength - it's just really bitter and foul tasting

Same here..I have a hard time forcing myself to drink bad coffee so I simply refuse to drink it. I do need my daily caffeine dose so this is an important issue for me!

So what do you do when you are on the ship? Do you get coffee from the Espresso bar?

I am a big time coffee drinker/coffee snob. On Voyager class ships and larger there is coffee available (at no charge) at the Royal Promenade (self serve from a vat) that is decent (not good, not bad, but definitely drinkable). I have never had a good cup of coffee via the Windjammer, dining rooms, or via room service. On Radiance class I could not find a good cup anywhere. I agree with what others said - yes the coffee is strong (which is something I like) - but the quality is bad. If you are on Voyager class or larger, seek out the self-serve coffee area in the Royal Promenade; definitely your best bet.

Another option some people do is bring a French press with them and order hot water via room service. I may opt to bring along Starbucks' Via on my next cruise.

Happy coffee drinking everybody. :)

I am a big time coffee drinker/coffee snob. On Voyager class ships and larger there is coffee available (at no charge) at the Royal Promenade (self serve from a vat) that is decent (not good, not bad, but definitely drinkable). I have never had a good cup of coffee via the Windjammer, dining rooms, or via room service. On Radiance class I could not find a good cup anywhere. I agree with what others said - yes the coffee is strong (which is something I like) - but the quality is bad. If you are on Voyager class or larger, seek out the self-serve coffee area in the Royal Promenade; definitely your best bet.

Another option some people do is bring a French press with them and order hot water via room service. I may opt to bring along Starbucks' Via on my next cruise.

Happy coffee drinking everybody. :)

Thank you for the tip! I will definitely look out for the self serve coffee area. I wonder why it is so different compared to the coffee offered at the other areas.

I may opt to bring a French Press and my Peets coffee.

Thank you for the tip! I will definitely look out for the self serve coffee area. I wonder why it is so different compared to the coffee offered at the other areas.

I may opt to bring a French Press and my Peets coffee.

I think one reason may be that it is that they use ground beans as opposed to syrup (I think the Windjammer uses - or at least used to use - syrup instead of grounds). Another reason might be the equipment there is such that water has to be poured into the equipment, whereas the ones in the dining areas I think are built into to water valves so the water is automated (and likely does not consistently produce the correct water pressure to have the correct ratio of water to coffee grounds/syrup).

If this is their best, we call it "Seattle's Worst".

Last year on the Adventure we brought our own french press, the first morning we orderered breakfast we asked for 2 carafes of boiling water as well, we used that water to make 2 pots of coffee, afterwards we kept the 2 carafes and just walked down to the promenade cafe and filled them up with boiling water when we wanted to make more, we found it easier and quicker than calling room service and having them bring it to us, the crew had much more important stuff to do than bring us boiling water.

We were a family of 5 and the 2 pots was enough to give us the caffeine jolt that we needed to start the day off.

The one good thing about the bad coffee on any cruise is that it is a sure sign that you're on a cruise to begin with:p.

Cheers

Can someone comment about RCCL's coffee quality? I am very picky about coffee and much prefer the stronger ones. With the past 4 Princess cruises, I could not stand their free coffee in the dining room or the room service and always had to purchase Cappuccino or Latte from the Espresso bar. The ones from the Espresso bar were average to good. We will be sailing on Brilliance next summer. I am seriously thinking about bringing my own coffee :-) What do you think?

The coffee is weak. It is never hot in the MDR.

DH is a real coffee hound and he says RCCL serves the best coffee of any cruise line we've been on. Just not quite strong enough for him.

Anyone wanting weak coffee could just order coffee and water and make it as weak as you like. Nothing you can put in weak coffee to make it strong.

He used a Seattle's Best coupon (back when RCCL gave those) thinking it would be better. He likes "airport" coffee--Seattle Best or Starbucks--but the coffee at the coffee bar was the same as served in the ships restaurants. Not like the "airport" coffee.

The CL or DL have a coffee machine and we generally start our day and end our day with a cappuccino.

It is foul.

I take vanilla creamer and brown sugar with me now. With those two things in it and by diluting it with water I can just about stand it. That is one of the few things that makes me glad to go home again :)

As all good little italian boys know, they started drinking coffee at around age 2 , so i have been drinking it for about 50 years. I had my first really bad coffee on my first cruise on the Voyager . Never tasted anything like it. I amused myself as i watched others drink it to see their faces when they tasted it. I prefer weak coffee. I am also disgusted with the coffee at work , so i stopped drinking it all together .And i thought i was addicted to it, but not so. I drink water now. Its funny what you can quit doing, when you really want too. I used to smoke too, gave that up 20 years ago. Now i`m going to give up red meat. Pretty soon i`ll start exercising if i`m not careful.

Archived