2 random Solstice questions re: bathrobes and flavored creamer?

LisaSp

We sail 8/1 on Solstice to Alaska. We are in cabin 9237...not Aqua Class as far as I know--will there be bathrobes in the cabin? Also, I am obsessed with using vanilla creamer in my coffee...does anyone know if they have the little individual International Delight creamer thingys on board? Thanks in advance for your help as I am confident someone out there knows these answers!! :)

We were JUST in that room for the July 11th sailing. Definite yes on the robes (there were three of us in the room and we had three robes). I don't recall any flavored creamers, just tall containers at the coffee station with milk, half and half, and regular creamer. I wasn't looking for them specifically though, so may have missed them.

FYI - If you have more than two in the room, the storage is a little tight, there are 5 drawers, two cubbys in the closet (below safe) and overhead storage above the bed. It was a bit challenging... on the plus side, there were a ton of hangers and the bathroom storage is plentiful! :)

Enjoy the room and your cruise!

Edited by tinabinab

We were JUST in that room for the July 11th sailing. Definite yes on the robes (there were three of us in the room and we had three robes). I don't recall any flavored creamers, just tall containers at the coffee station with milk, half and half, and regular creamer. I wasn't looking for them specifically though, so may have missed them.

FYI - If you have more than two in the room, the storage is a little tight, there are 5 drawers, two cubbys in the closet (below safe) and overhead storage above the bed. It was a bit challenging... on the plus side, there were a ton of hangers and the bathroom storage is plentiful! :)

Enjoy the room and your cruise!

Thank you! There are going to be 4 of us (!!!) in the room...me, hubby, and our 15 yr old daughter and 13 yr old son. My parents are staying down the hall and may have to be storing some of our stuff! I am pretty worried about the space but we will figure out how to make it work somehow. Thx again!

I definitely found that organization was the key - even more so than any other cruise I've taken. It was still worth it for that balcony though! ;)

Here's some picts of the inside of the room. Wish I had gotten images facing the other way and of the balcony. You're going to love it!

Solstice 9237:

Solstice9237.jpg

solstice9237_br.jpg

Edited by tinabinab
Added room photos.

My family is laughing at me but I created a table for each of us to use to make a packing list because we are all overpackers (but I don't want us to be for this trip)! Hoping for decent weather but preparing for all possibilities which makes it slightly difficult.

My family is laughing at me but I created a table for each of us to use to make a packing list because we are all overpackers (but I don't want us to be for this trip)! Hoping for decent weather but preparing for all possibilities which makes it slightly difficult.

We did an Alaskan itinerary up on the Solstice last year and booked another one while we were at it for this year.

I do the same thing with packing....and pare down a bit with each and every cruise. Last year, never put my jacket on once but did use an entire tube of sunblock, so yes, very unpredictable. The important thing to remember is to layer. You will be so happy if you don't over pack. It is not like you are up there changing sweaty clothes two times a day up there.

I found that packing a small box / basket or two is helpful considering the tiny little tables that they call nightstands come in quite handy. Plenty of storage space in the bathroom, though. You can also use the cabinets above the bed for clothing if you run out of room.

Have a great trip ... love that Solstice.

First, you can open the suitcases up under the bed and use one side for dirty clothes and one for less-used items.

The cabinets above the bed are where we put a LOT of things - basically a good deal of our foldable clothes. You may read that they're hard to access. Not true. I'm only 5'3" and have no problem whatsoever. They are meant to be used!

You don't need to bring baskets or cubbies or over the door shoe holders - some people do, but you really shouldn't need those.

Ask the room attendant for more hangers, as many as you want. Have him store the fat wooden ones somewhere else as they take up too much room - and use the metal ones and that way you can get more in the closet. Double hang things and remember you don't have to hang everything.

I strongly consider bringing just a couple "bottoms" for dinners. Wear the same black slacks/skirt over and over and over and just change the tops. Repeat outfits and don't bring shoes for every outfit. Your feet are under the table!

One piece of clothing we bring on trips land or sea is a Gore-Tex jacket. Ours are lightweight and pack to literally nothing, but they have attached hood and are hip length and with the velcro and zips, etc. they completely block out wind and rain. They are light but warm and take no space at all. Perfect layer.

We've never traveled more than 2 in a room. You mentioned you didn't think you were Aqua Class. You aren't. Only two allowed in aqua class room.

Had you considered getting your kids their own room across the hall or adjacent? Or a family view cabin or suite?

One thing I do almost first thing is take the "magazines" and booklets and other stuff that lives in the room - all the literature - and store it away so I can use the space for my own stuff. We keep as much of our personal things out of sight and out of the way so that we don't have clutter. I toss all the dailies and ridiculous amount of accumulated paper that come to the room. If it's something I really need to see I just take a picture of it, I certainly don't bring all that junk home!!

Have fun! You'll be cozy but you'll have a trip you'll remember forever!!

I'll also add that with 4 people you can ask your room attendant to store some of your suitcases until the last afternoon. You can also keep two of them open under the bed and store other ones inside each other. If you're really organized you won't have to have cases or other things out in the room - actually you shouldn't, not with 4! Where are the kids going to sleep? I know the couch will pull out but I think it's just a one-person bed....

We are in this cabin on Solstice sailing New Zealand 9th December, so very interested in comments and pics. We have been on Solstice before (9296) but this is first time with kids...G/Daughter (9) and G/Son (11)... so very conscious of challenges associated with storing all our stuff.

I do know that 9237 is a proper 4 bedder...has sofa + drop down Pullman bed which will suit the kids no end:

This Pic, whilst not 9237, shows the bedding arrangements:

ry%3D400

You will probably find your coffee creamer available at the Coffee Shop (El Bacio) sic

Cheers

You will probably find your coffee creamer available at the Coffee Shop (El Bacio)

Specialty coffees at Il Bacio are not included unless you have a drink package that includes them. I don't recall seeing individual packets of flavored creamer there, but they do have the flavored vanilla syrup for vanilla lattes etc. Alternatively, if you don't have a drink package that includes specialty coffees, you could bring your owned bottle of powdered vanilla creamer, or do what I do at home- add a drop of vanilla extract to your coffee (just bring a small unopened bottle on board with you)

Hi Lisa:)......you mentioned if your first post "not Aqua Class as far as you

know"......

It is definitely not Aqua becuase those cabins are a max of 2 people. So

a family of 4 would not be be permitted to an Aqua Class cabin.

In all my cruises I never recall seeing flavored creamers. Usually they

have milk and cream and the milk is usually in the large machines

up in the buffet area...you lift the handle in the front and the milk comes

out of the spout.

Al Bacio?....never seen flavored creamers in there either. Normally if

you having a cup while sitting there, the milk is served in small pitcher

(glass)....I don't remember seeing any "flavored containers".

Thanks so much to everyone who has commented so far! A few responses...

I absolutely intend to use the overbed storage. An opened suitcase under the bed is a great idea for dirty clothes. Also love idea of removing wooden hangers and using metal ones to save space.

My parents booked this trip and are avid cruisers who are paying for everything so I didn't really get much say in the cabin choices. I am sure we will be cozy but fine. As Flipper133 said there is a pull down bed from ceiling. The balcony will be awesome (we have never had one before; this is our 3rd cruise as a family-other 2x on Disney Magic).

As far as the creamers go, I really was hoping they were available at the breakfast buffet. I vaguely recall on a RCL cruise a couple of years ago that they had them there. But if not, no worries, I can always get my fix with a vanilla latte every day at Il Bacio. And I don't HAVE to have coffee in MDR at nite so that is no biggie.

For packing, I plan to repeat pants and def lots of layers. We all have lightweight windbreakers/rainjackets that I intend to make the top layer on rainy days. Just not sure how many other layers to plan on underneath--tshirt, fleece, then rainjacket on top? DD and I also have really lightweight winterish jackets that smush down and pack into nothing...I guess will bring those too. Argh we are going to have so much stuff.

Edited by LisaSp

A great idea I picked up from this board a few years ago. Pack a few refrigerator magnets. Both doors and walls are metal, so you can use magnets to post notes, hold daily schedule, etc. Very handy for families!

Flipper33's photo of the bed configuration is spot on. You may notice what looks like a long drawer under the couch, that is where they store the mattress that it looks like they put on top of the couch. (Our DD opted for the bunk so we didn't see this part in action.) The back cushions are missing from the photo, so I am guessing they store those in the same lower drawer when that bed is made up.

It's actually a great room and a very nice balcony. We were able to use it quite a bit - there is less wind on the back of the hump and the majority of the forward wall on the balcony is solid. It was very easy to prop your elbows up on the railing in the forward corner and look forward without any leaning or straining. ...and very nice to put the chair in the far front corner and watch the ports fade into the background. (Which I esp enjoyed doing in Ketchikan...)

Will your in laws be in an adjacent room? Would make for an even more spectacular balcony space. :)

My parents booked this trip and are avid cruisers who are paying for everything so I didn't really get much say in the cabin choices. I am sure we will be cozy but fine.

Just a little tip, the spa area of the ship has nice showers that are available to anyone, there's a counter space with plugs & room for blowdryers, hooks for clothing in the lockers, you & your girls might use this area to get ready in the mornings & evenings, that way you won't be bumping into one another or waiting to take turns for the shower or mirror space. :)

Have a great time :)

Will your in laws be in an adjacent room? Would make for an even more spectacular balcony space. :)

Thanks for the scoop on the room! My parents are in 9251 with their own balcony.

Just a little tip, the spa area of the ship has nice showers that are available to anyone, there's a counter space with plugs & room for blowdryers, hooks for clothing in the lockers, you & your girls might use this area to get ready in the mornings & evenings, that way you won't be bumping into one another or waiting to take turns for the shower or mirror space. :)

Have a great time :)

I'm the one in our family (the husband and father) that happily gets banished to the Spa for showers. While S-class has nice showers in the cabins with glass doors rather then curtains, the spa showers are larger, have taller shower heads, and throw out more water.

To the OP, you'll miss the split bathroom on the Magic, but other than that, your S-class cabin is nicer. We've had 4 in the cabin with no problem.

Enjoy your cruise.

I'm the one in our family (the husband and father) that happily gets banished to the Spa for showers. While S-class has nice showers in the cabins with glass doors rather then curtains, the spa showers are larger, have taller shower heads, and throw out more water.

To the OP, you'll miss the split bathroom on the Magic, but other than that, your S-class cabin is nicer. We've had 4 in the cabin with no problem.

Enjoy your cruise.

Thanks so much! The spa showers seem like they might be a great option for my DD who likes to take REALLY LONG showers. And thx for the reassurance about the cabin! :)

For packing, I plan to repeat pants and def lots of layers. We all have lightweight windbreakers/rainjackets that I intend to make the top layer on rainy days. Just not sure how many other layers to plan on underneath--tshirt, fleece, then rainjacket on top? DD and I also have really lightweight winterish jackets that smush down and pack into nothing...I guess will bring those too. Argh we are going to have so much stuff.

I doubt you will need the additional winter jackets. We did Alaska last year, and generally found a t-shirt with a fleece was fine. I took have a regular fleece pullover, as well as a lightweight fleece vest that took up very little room. Sometimes a long sleeved tee and the light fleece vest was fine, other times I chose the slightly heavier fleece that had sleeves. I took a rain jacket as well, but only wore it one day if I recall correctly, and that was because it was actually raining, not because I needed another layer of warmth.

Weather can be unpredictable, but I still think you'll be fine with just a fleece and a windbreaker/rain jacket to layer over a t-shirt. Perhaps instead of the additional winter coat you mentioned, take a turtleneck or a long sleeved thermal weave shirt just in case? It would take up less room in your luggage than another jacket, but would add additional warmth on top of or in lieu of a t-shirt, and you could then add the fleece and light jacket.

I should also note that I tend to be a little chillier than others most of the time, so while I lived in long sleeved t-shirts and usually with a fleece, my boys ran around in just a t-shirt half the time, occasionally wearing just a regular hoodie over it.

Edited by waterbug123

I doubt you will need the additional winter jackets. We did Alaska last year, and generally found a t-shirt with a fleece was fine. I took have a regular fleece pullover, as well as a lightweight fleece vest that took up very little room. Sometimes a long sleeved tee and the light fleece vest was fine, other times I chose the slightly heavier fleece that had sleeves. I took a rain jacket as well, but only wore it one day if I recall correctly, and that was because it was actually raining, not because I needed another layer of warmth.

Weather can be unpredictable, but I still think you'll be fine with just a fleece and a windbreaker/rain jacket to layer over a t-shirt. Perhaps instead of the additional winter coat you mentioned, take a turtleneck or a long sleeved thermal weave shirt just in case? It would take up less room in your luggage than another jacket, but would add additional warmth on top of or in lieu of a t-shirt, and you could then add the fleece and light jacket.

I should also note that I tend to be a little chillier than others most of the time, so while I lived in long sleeved t-shirts and usually with a fleece, my boys ran around in just a t-shirt half the time, occasionally wearing just a regular hoodie over it.

Thanks! The winter jackets that DD and I have are those lightweight down ones that smush up and fit in a pouch the size of a small envelope. So I think I will pack those just because they weigh nothing and take up no space and then we will have them just in case. I keep hearing about rain rain rain so I am leaning toward long sleeve tees with rainjacket on top for most of the ports for me, DD and DH. My son will definitely be in a hoodie and shorts at all times--at home during the winter that is what he wears so I expect he will be fine. I really appreciate your input!!

Re

Does anyone know is you can open up balcony between two side by side rooms that are not "officially adjoining" traveling to alaska aug 29th on solstice behind the second hump on vista deck port side.

The bathrobes are vanilla flavored. Hope that helps

LOL, steveweese.:D

I use the fold-up containers from Target that just fit those overhead shelves. Yes, you can manage without, but SO much more storage and handier with. You could have one for each person and they can pull down there own container. Teenagers are so messy....also husbands.:rolleyes: I also use the shoebags in the bathroom-easier to find things, but the bathrooms have quite a bit of storage space. BTW, the fold up containers also work well on the other shelves and the smaller size on the nightstands help corral that stuff.